Author Topic: Investments  (Read 4273 times)

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: Investments
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2016, 06:46:25 PM »
@austingirl

I was just coming online to congratulate you if you were still holding it. The stock is up about 80% from when you first mentioned it. Good pick!

I never bought, although it has stayed on my watch list. As far as semis are concerned, I only played in SWKS for a bit. I've kept NVDA, AMD, QCOM on my watch list (although I can't officially call QCOM a "semi" - close enough).

Nonetheless, you got the winner of the bunch by a wide margin. Excellent work.

Thanks and I sold it all near the high. There is a big gap from $20.58 to $22.70s. Another gap recently at $19.08. Watching closely for re-entry. Upgrades and new PT from $21 to $28. Very cyclical but recovery of semis bodes well for economy. I never bought AMD either but watching.

I bought some VRX as a flier. Could sell some assets and improve viability. Bausch and Lomb  worth a lot. Salix may be sold. Sum of the parts greater than the whole?  I never thought I would touch this stock but the price was too tempting.

Merry Christmas and good luck with your investments.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2016, 08:02:01 PM »
Sigh. My whole portfolio right now is being propped up by HIIQ, which has seen a ~83% gain since I got back in. Most of my other positions are down except EDIT and CCJ, which are both up 11%.

Let's hope the New Year puts a booster on my other stocks. I'm up, but nowhere near where I should be given the meteoric performance of HIIQ.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline austingirl

« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2016, 01:24:11 PM »
Tax loss selling and sideways market this week. I well remember the big drop last January- will it be different in 2017?  Opinions?

Offline austingirl

« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2017, 01:01:10 PM »
Very displeased with the Trump pronouncement about Pharma prices. I believe drug prices are a small percentage of health care costs. Developing new drugs costs a fortune. Portfolio took a hit. **nononono*

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2017, 06:32:16 PM »
Yeah - I was down in line with the market today. Basically because my silver hedge kept me from being down further.
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Frank Cannon

• Frank Cannon: "I need a drink."
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2017, 07:05:10 PM »
Yeah - I was down in line with the market today. Basically because my silver hedge kept me from being down further.

I would sell everything and go 100% into Theranos! They look bad now, but it will be like getting in on the ground floor of a rocketship to Mars soon!

BTFATH!
People like Hillary Clinton are the reason we have middle fingers.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2017, 08:48:10 PM »
I would sell everything and go 100% into Theranos! They look bad now, but it will be like getting in on the ground floor of a rocketship to Mars soon!

BTFATH!

@Frank Cannon

I'm not buying anything new right now, just holding, so your snark is ill-applied. Moreover, my non-play money - my 401k - is now 80% cash because of a possible correction.

In the meantime, I'll happily take the 10k I made the past two weeks to offset potential future losses.
1. Trump is never wrong.

Offline Frank Cannon

• Frank Cannon: "I need a drink."
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2017, 10:36:35 PM »
@Frank Cannon

I'm not buying anything new right now, just holding, so your snark is ill-applied. Moreover, my non-play money - my 401k - is now 80% cash because of a possible correction.

In the meantime, I'll happily take the 10k I made the past two weeks to offset potential future losses.

Don't be a loser. You are missing out in one of the biggest come backs in corporate history.

BTFATH!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:37:46 PM by Frank Cannon »
People like Hillary Clinton are the reason we have middle fingers.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2017, 08:45:21 PM »
@Frank Cannon

My 401K is 87.6% cash. Market has been going nowhere the past two weeks- each day a different sector takes a hit. Wait and see attitude here.

Rumors about GILD and PFE meeting in Davos and what it could mean. Still holding onto GILD  :shrug:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2017, 10:35:26 AM »
I don't do anything with my 401k, i allocate it to a few funds and leave it alone. I never touch it.

It has doubled since 2006 (my MIT one).
To everyone I have insulted in the past, I apologize wholeheartedly. To all the people I have yet to insult in the future (but probably will), I am pre-apologizing.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2017, 11:32:42 AM »
I got some excellent advice from a very wise man that I worked with years ago.  He said....buy 3 or 4 solid oil co's, put it in dividend reinvestment and leave it alone.  Energy isn't going anywhere.  He had purchased Phillips Petroleum, Mobil, and Burlington Resources.  This was back in the late 70's.  He put in around 30k in each.  When he died a few years back the stock was worth millions and the dividends were huge.

I did the same with Exxon back in the early 80's, though just not with quite as much initial investment. It's turned into quite a nice little nest egg over 36 years.....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf