Author Topic: TBR Gardening Discussion Thread Week of 7-24-16  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
TBR Gardening Discussion Thread Week of 7-24-16
« on: July 27, 2016, 06:03:51 pm »

Welcome to the TBR Garden Thread for the week of July 24th, 2016! This is the thread for all things gardening....

The rains have returned and everything is lush again. We have made it through the mid-summer lull, harvesting cabbages, broccoli as well as carrots, turnips, beets, and now are heading into the bulk of the summer stuff. The green beans have been prolific, and it looks like the corn and tomatoes are going to be bumper crops. Getting summer squash and beautiful cucumbers in quantity now.

Variety of the week is St. Pierre tomato. If there was such a thing as a perfect tomato, this would be it. Mid-sized, firm and meaty, with one of the best flavors I've ever seen. We use it as an all purpose tomato for fresh eating, cooking, and canning and just about anything else in the kitchen.

You can find St. Pierre at Baker Creek, Reimer, and Grow Italian

This week just going to post a few pics of some of the things coming out of the garden.

We got some nice Mammoth Russian sunflowers this year, over 9 ft. tall. The birds will love that this winter.

A row of Colorado Quinoa near ready to harvest.

Some Bouquet dill in flower.

An herb called Papalo, which the Mexicans used before they had cilantro.

Blue Podded Capucinjers pea. Great soup pea with pretty purple flowers and pods.

Khabouli Black garbanzo beans in flower.

Next week: Grains, oilseeds, and grow your own sugar!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 02:47:53 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline goodwithagun

Re: TBR Gardening Discussion Thread Week of 7-24-16
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 07:26:56 pm »
The 90+ degree weather will be gone for a few days. We'll have mid-80s and scattered showers. I'm anxious for the garden to perk back up again. If anybody here grows hardneck garlic, I'd be interested in buying some off of you or swapping something. I grow Music hardneck and I'd like to try some Turban varieties.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline mlizzy

• Rosary for Peace
Re: TBR Gardening Discussion Thread Week of 7-24-16
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 07:38:35 pm »
@Free Vulcan

Thank you so much for the garden thread, and I apologize for going off topic [on the previous thread]; I got carried away (with) joy when seeing @goodwithagun ...

Anyway, I would love to see your photos [however, they are not coming up for me; we are on Chrome if that makes a difference], and I look forward to learning some [garden] stuff; I'm just a relative newbie [only a few years in the dirt].

Thank you, again.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:43:36 pm by mlizzy »
America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign. -Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta