Author Topic: Crude Slump, Pipeline Expansion Mark End of U.S. Oil-Train Boom  (Read 1081 times)

Offline thackney

Crude Slump, Pipeline Expansion Mark End of U.S. Oil-Train Boom
http://www.wsj.com/articles/crude-slump-pipeline-expansion-mark-end-of-u-s-oil-train-boom-1469484016
July 25, 2016

The oil-train boom is waning almost as quickly as it began.

Rail became a major way to move crude after companies began unlocking new bounties of oil from shale formations, with volumes rising from almost nothing in 2009 to more than one million barrels a day by 2014, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

But those numbers began falling after oil prices started tumbling two years ago, and aren’t projected to recover anytime soon. In April, just 430,000 barrels of oil rode the rails each day, according to the latest federal figures.

ome of the decline came from a drop in U.S. oil production, but oil and rail executives say the drop-off may be permanent. “At least some portion, and it could be a pretty large portion,” of the rail business won’t return, said Union Pacific Corp. Chief Executive Lance Fritz.

More pipelines have begun reaching North Dakota and other shale regions, giving producers a cheaper way to move their oil to market.

Also, a string of fiery crude-freight-train derailments—including one in Lac Mégantic, Quebec, that killed 47 people in 2013—have prompted a host of new and expensive regulations, and fueled opposition that has helped delay major rail projects on the West Coast, where a dearth of pipelines makes rail useful. Regulators have mandated new safer tank cars, and older tank cars are being phased out—adding to future costs for transporting oil.

The changes are evident in North Dakota, once the epicenter of the crude-by-rail trend. Oil output from the state’s Bakken Shale formation has fallen by 180,000 barrels a day from its 2014 peak. Meanwhile, pipeline takeaway capacity has more than doubled since 2010....

#energy
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Crude Slump, Pipeline Expansion Mark End of U.S. Oil-Train Boom
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 01:41:26 am »
Wish we had some intel on the per bbl savings for Bakken crude delivered by p/l vs rail.
I expect a couple of bucks a barrel at least.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 12:36:17 pm »
Wish we had some intel on the per bbl savings for Bakken crude delivered by p/l vs rail.
I expect a couple of bucks a barrel at least.
Transporting crude oil by pipeline is generally cheaper than by rail, at a cost of about $5 a barrel compared with $10 to $15 a barrel, according to a February report by the Congressional Research Service. Yet rail offers its own advantages, including speed. Transporting oil from North Dakota’s Bakken shale fields to the Gulf Coast can take five to seven days by rail, compared with about 40 days by pipeline.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/us/rail-transport-of-crude-oil-increases-as-pipeline-falls-short.html?_r=1

- - - - - -

Rail also has the advantage of being able to easily change destination and often to serve a market paying more for oil due to transport/supply limitations.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 12:57:33 am »
I figured you had that at your fingertips.  @ thackney

With all the oil in storage right now, I doubt the speed component would be a priority compared with saving +10 cents per gallon on transportation.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

geronl

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 01:05:14 am »
Soros hardest hit...

or was that Buffett?

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 03:39:41 pm »
So happy Soros is not making as much money.

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 05:02:10 pm »
So happy Soros is not making as much money.

I don't understand the Soros connection.