Author Topic: Farmers fight for the right to repair their own tractors  (Read 8121 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Farmers fight for the right to repair their own tractors
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2016, 07:39:36 am »
You laugh.  One of those blew up in a county-fair exhibit in Ohio a few years back...killed the operator, his assistant, and a teenaged girl standing in the line of the blast.

I rather favor the horse.  Doesn't need warming up; fuel is plentiful; and the only time it blows up is if it's laying dead in the sun for a few days.
Ol' Paint makes better steak in desperate times, too, at least from what the French say.

Yes, there is a hazard involved with steam engines, and old ones are more likely to experience a malfunction than one which has been well refitted (a dying art, no pun intended). Operators aren't a dime a dozen, either.

But look at the top ten list of hazardous professions, and Farming is still there.

I know a guy who amputated his own mangled arm with a jack knife, so he could get to help two miles away. The rest of it remained tangled up in the equipment for a while after he left. He isn't the only one I know of, just the only one I know, and he fully accepts the responsibility for what happened, having become complacent about the danger some time before the accident. 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis