Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Explained: Here is Everything You Need to Know About This Credit Card Size Computer That Costs $35 or Less  (Read 1276 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: PRESS INSIDER DAILY

URL: https://pressinsiderdaily.com/2016/07/raspberry-pi-explained-everything-need-know.html

by: Richard Smith

In this post we would be elaborating the much talked about, Raspberry Pi — including the functionality, uses, variants and even the future scopes. We will be divulging the core details regarding the supported peripherals, hardware compatibility, operating platform and even the concepts of overclocking.

So let’s get started:

Definition and History

The Raspberry Pi actually defines a popular series of single-board computers, comparable to a credit card, in terms of size. This innovative series was created by the Raspberry Pi Foundation in the United Kingdom with a purpose of enhancing basic learning in schools and other educational institutions. Moreover, this interface requires a lot less power and minimal cash reserves to set up— further enhancing the popularity of the same.

Moving on, this little computer or as we call it, is capable of achieving quite a lot— in terms of processing power and regular computing needs. Moreover, Raspberry Pi isn’t just a gadget but a brand with several iterations lining the legacy.

The Pi is a pretty basic computing interface which boasts of on-board circuitry and features like RAM and a few hardware ports— synonymous to a usual computer.

This gadget, is therefore, capable of handling all the basic computing requirements— including coding, playing simple games and even watching videos and robotics.

One of the most alluring aspects of the Raspberry Pi has to be its affordability although they aren’t as powerful as a regular computer. However, with most of the basic jobs handled for something around 35 dollars, there isn’t much to complain.

Basic Features and Circuitry

We have witnessed several generations of the Raspberry Pi including the likes of Pi 1, released in 2012, Pi 2, released in 2015 February and the final version i.e. the Pi 3 in February 2016. However, there are many subsidiaries to each version with the Raspberry Pi 1 coming in as the base A mode, improved B model and the subsequent ones in A+ and B+, both released in 2013. There was a ‘compute’ model in 2014 for general use followed by the smaller Pi Zero, materialized in November, 2015.

All these renditions are powered by a Broadcom SoC, involving a CPU which is ARM compatible and the VideoCore IV GPU, obviously on the chip.

We will be moving on to the clock speeds in subsequent sections.

The operating system and all of the program memory reside on the SD cards which can be accommodates as well, based on the micro-SDHC size of the same. We do get composite video and HDMI output with select models followed by the 3.5mm audio jack in some cases. I2C protocols take care of the number of GPIO pins desired. Lastly, we might also get Ethernet port 8P8C in some models while the Wi-Fi 802.11n standard is present on the Pi 3 in addition to Bluetooth support.

We do get Linux ARM and Debian distributions for downloading content while Python happens to the desired programming language followed by support for the likes of C, C++, Perl, Ruby and many more.

Processor, Performance and Peripherals

While the Raspberry Pi is based on Broadcom BCM2835 chipset we get more powerful processors with the subsequent versions. The details will be elaborated separately but it will be appropriate to understand that the CPU can clock somewhere between 700MHz to 1.2GHz. Cache memory can be anywhere between 128KB for level 2 cache to 512KB in more advanced models.

When it comes to the performance we can expect the original version to offer something comparable to 0.041 GLOPS. The Raspberry Pi actually perform similar to the computing capabilities of the Xbox 2001. The Pi 2 is admittedly 14 times faster than the Pi 1B+, even with a similar GPU. The Pi 3 offers noticeable improvements and is 80 percent faster than its immediate predecessor.

In terms of RAM support, it all started with 256MB with 128MB chunks allotted to the CPU and GPU, respectively. However, things changed eventually and we now have models with 512MB to even 1GB of RAM support.

The Raspberry Pi series supports generic USB usage for mouse and external keyboards. Most of the networking attributes are featured in addition to a dedicated video controller that is extremely capable and can easily support standard resolutions in HD and Full HD.

Software and Functionality

The Raspberry Pi can achieve a lot when it comes to web server requirements, TorrentBox, Network Attached Storage and even the Media Center.

In terms of the operating system, Linux kernels are preferred. With the install manager being NOOBS, do have a few choices for the operating platforms:

Raspbian based on Debian
Windows 10 IoT
Kali Linux
OSMC
RIS OS
Ubuntu Mate
Puppy Linux
Pidora
OpenELEC
Arch Linux ARM
Xbian
CentOS
RedSleeve
Slackware ARM
These are only a select few and the Pi supports a whole lot more, including Haiku— the open source BeOS.

Featured Iterations

Here are the available models with prices ranging from $5 to $35.

Raspberry Pi A+

This is a less-expensive version which is slightly thin on specs. This one calls for low power consumption and suitable for projects that can do away without high-power requirements. Projects related to motion sensing and dashboard configurations are best handled by Pi A+. Features sets include:

One USB Port

256MB RAM

Smaller Size

Light weighted

Raspberry Pi B/B+

This happens to be one of the previous iterations that has now been upgraded to the Pi 2. While this model still exists, it has now been refurbished and revamped as the Pi 2. Features sets include:

4 USB Ports

Single-Core CPU with 700MHz of Clock Speed

Micro-SD slot

Low Power Consumption

128KB of L2 Cache for GPU usage

This B+ is an improvement over the B which has a normal SD slot, 2 USB ports and higher power consumption.

Raspberry Pi 2

This is one of the latest variants of the series and a pretty hefty modification over the Pi. Feature sets include:

Quad-Core CPU with 900MHz of Clock Speed

1GB RAM

40 Pin GPI

4 USB 2.0 ports

HDMI Port

CSI and DSI Ports

Micro-SD slot

Micro-USB charging point

ARM Cortex-A7 Cores

256KB L2 Cache (Shared)

Raspberry Pi 3

Here is the latest version of the Pi which offers a lot of desirable enhancements. Features sets include:

64-Bit Quad-Core Processor with a clock speed of 1.2GHz

ARM Cortex-A53 Cores

512KB of L2 Cache (Shared)

On-Board Wi-Fi 802.11n and Bluetooth v4.1

Broadcom BCM2387 Chipset

Raspberry Pi Zero

The smallest of all, this version of Pi is certainly the cheapest one around and boasts of an excruciatingly smaller footprint. This one is actually perfect for embedded projects and the feature sets include:

Single-Core CPU with a clock speed of 1GHz

512MB RAM

Micro-USB port

HAT compatible Header (40-Pin)

Reset Headers and Composite Video

Micro-SD Port

Mini HDMI

Micro-USB Charging Support

Overclocking

The previous generations of Raspberry Pi hardly overclocked and therefore it wasn’t necessary to include heat sinks into the scheme of things. Overclocking is a common phenomenon for smaller processors and the 1st generations chipsets were overclocked up to 800MHz. P1 2 could be overclocked up to 1500MHz on extreme cases which might exceed the voltage limitations on this one.

New versions are equipped with turbo or overclocking presets for maximizing CPU performances but only in shorter bursts. However, in Linux Distro, overclocking can be initiated on Booting the gadget, using sudo raspi-config. This will not void the warranty of the Pi. However, in this case the Pi automatically switches off overlocking once 85 degrees are reached, in terms of circuit heating. Some versions do need heat sinks as they heat up easily on overlocking.

Bottom Line

Raspberry Pi is an innovative piece of gadget that can be easily connected to some peripherals and a monitor for handling basic computing requirements with ease. This is the smallest computer on planet that offers affordability and functionality, in togetherness.

Offline bolobaby

I have one of these and will be using it to help control the full-sized BB8 I recently started 3D printing as a summer project with the kids.

Fun stuff.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Suppressed

I have one of these and will be using it to help control the full-sized BB8 I recently started 3D printing as a summer project with the kids.

Fun stuff.

Cool!  Please post video when you get it going.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline bolobaby

Cool!  Please post video when you get it going.

Sure - right now, I've 3d printed just about all the pieces for the head. I'm going to start gluing them together and sanding them later today, I think. I'm rethinking some of the design aspects of the head from what's available. I think the head should rotate independently of the internal neck/magnet mechanism. It will add weight and require some active stabilization, but that's what the Raspberry Pi is for!

The kids are out and about with mom, though, so I don't want to start today without them.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink