Author Topic: A good day at the hospital  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
A good day at the hospital
« on: July 13, 2016, 11:15:04 pm »
I got up at 3AM this morning to meet my dad at the hospital in Lansing where he underwent a successful open heart surgery.

They lowered his body temperature and removed the heart to work on it separately. They removed a fatty mass from the septum between the left and right ventricle. It looked and behaved a bit like a clapper in a bell. Dr Ghandi (The surgeon) says he doesn't believe it is cancerous and that Heart Cancers are generally found in autopsies due to the fact that they tend to be end stage cancers.

The doctor also destroyed some misfiring nerves that were causing arterial fibrillation. The nerves were causing the blood to eddy around the upper part of the heart without being properly distributed.

He looked pretty rough in ICU after the surgery attached to about 2 dozen different monitors with tubes and wires but that is to be expected. They don't expect him to be aware at all till sometime tomorrow. My step mother will be going up to the hospital by herself for the next few days but I will return when he gets off the ventilator and is able to speak. The doc said he'll hopefully be able to go home in 7 to 10 days under the care of a visiting nurse. The doc also says that my dad should be able to lose the blood thinners and oxygen tank and return to some sort of normal life.

One thing I can say is that I prayed A LOT in recebt weeks and I do believe it helps.  :0001:

And finally, I am whooped. :thud:

Offline SgtBob

• Mission Pilot
  • "I AM sitting!"
Re: A good day at the hospital
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 11:27:37 pm »
Hey, CC!

Sorry to read about your dad, and glad to read a positive prognosis.

jimrob decide to censor me, :nometalk: so I made the jump. Mom MD sent me here, and I couldn't even freepmail her back. That made up my mind.

It will take a while to figure out this forum style, but I'll be up and running soon.

Prayers up to you, your Pop, and family.
Is it not time to form a Battalion of Men?

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 11:30:14 pm »
"The doc also says that my dad should be able to lose the blood thinners and oxygen tank and return to some sort of normal life."   :thumbsup:

"One thing I can say is that I prayed A LOT in recebt weeks and I do believe it helps."   :amen:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 11:32:12 pm »
@SgtBob

Thanx Sgt and good to see you.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 11:55:11 pm »
Prayers up.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

geronl

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 12:09:55 am »
heart surgeries have come a long way!

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 12:25:50 am »
heart surgeries have come a long way!

It was about 6 hours between the time we saw him being prepped for surgery and when they got him up to ICU but the actual surgery took under 3 hours. The doc said the 1st surgeries of that type took as much as 8 to 10 hours which increased the risk greatly.

geronl

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 12:36:30 am »
It was about 6 hours between the time we saw him being prepped for surgery and when they got him up to ICU but the actual surgery took under 3 hours. The doc said the 1st surgeries of that type took as much as 8 to 10 hours which increased the risk greatly.

A few years ago I was reading that the price of heart bypass surgery had dropped at Baylor Hospital because it was so common and less risky than it had been.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 12:42:59 am »
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 05:16:19 pm »
Hospitals are no fun to be in.

Best wishes to your dad for a speedy recovery, and to you and your family as well.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 07:46:46 pm »
My stepmom called a while ago and said he's still mostly out. They expect him to regain some kind of actual consciousness this evening for a little while. I probably won't go back to the hospital till next week when he is actually wide awake and off the ventilator.

They are downright tough with their ICU rules up there which is kind of nice because its all business. He's got 3 RNs that are assigned to him alone till he moves down to critical care next week. No children under 14 without approval, absolutely no infants or toddlers, no gifts and no visits of more than 5 or 10 minutes. Any emergency with any patient in the ICU and they kick all visitors out and lock it down.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 07:51:01 pm »

Longer time in hospital increases risk of infections.

My father underwent a cancer surgery, but died within days instead from an infection at the hospital.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 07:55:48 pm »
Just wow!  Thank you for sharing.  I will join those who are already praying for strong recovery.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 08:01:22 pm »
Longer time in hospital increases risk of infections.

My father underwent a cancer surgery, but died within days instead from an infection at the hospital.

The move to make hospitals warm and welcoming has been a mistake in my opinion. Mclaren is old school. Painted concrete walls, shiny linoleum floors and stainless steel fixtures all around. The hospital he's in has an emergency room but its primarily a cardiac and oncology hospital.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 08:18:28 pm »
@Cripplecreek   Praying for your dad   May he have a speedy recovery
God is still in control

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 08:22:13 pm »
The move to make hospitals warm and welcoming has been a mistake in my opinion. Mclaren is old school. Painted concrete walls, shiny linoleum floors and stainless steel fixtures all around. The hospital he's in has an emergency room but its primarily a cardiac and oncology hospital.

Best wishes for your father's recovery. My dad had a second surgery for cancer, but the cancer could not be cured.

The doctor told him to go home and enjoy the final few months of his life. Within a day or two, while still in the hospital, one day we had to put on masks and gowns to see him.

He died in a day from the infection contracted in the hospital. Yes, he would have died in a few months. But it was made worse by the circumstances.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 08:31:18 pm »
I got up at 3AM this morning to meet my dad at the hospital in Lansing where he underwent a successful open heart surgery.

They lowered his body temperature and removed the heart to work on it separately. They removed a fatty mass from the septum between the left and right ventricle. It looked and behaved a bit like a clapper in a bell. Dr Ghandi (The surgeon) says he doesn't believe it is cancerous and that Heart Cancers are generally found in autopsies due to the fact that they tend to be end stage cancers.

The doctor also destroyed some misfiring nerves that were causing arterial fibrillation. The nerves were causing the blood to eddy around the upper part of the heart without being properly distributed.

He looked pretty rough in ICU after the surgery attached to about 2 dozen different monitors with tubes and wires but that is to be expected. They don't expect him to be aware at all till sometime tomorrow. My step mother will be going up to the hospital by herself for the next few days but I will return when he gets off the ventilator and is able to speak. The doc said he'll hopefully be able to go home in 7 to 10 days under the care of a visiting nurse. The doc also says that my dad should be able to lose the blood thinners and oxygen tank and return to some sort of normal life.

One thing I can say is that I prayed A LOT in recebt weeks and I do believe it helps.  :0001:

And finally, I am whooped. :thud:

That is so scary went though it with my brother.

Very happy your dad is doing so well.

...and yes...prayers work!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34