Author Topic: Will California ever thrive again?  (Read 883 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

Will California ever thrive again?
« on: July 07, 2016, 02:16:13 pm »
SOURCE: WASHINGTON TIMES

URL: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/6/will-california-ever-thrive-again/

by: Victor Davis Hanson

There was more of the same old, same old California news recently. Some 62 percent of state roads have been rated poor or mediocre. There were more predications of huge cost overruns and yearly losses on high-speed rail — before the first mile of track has been laid. One-third of Bay Area residents were polled as hoping to leave the area soon.

Such pessimism is daily fare, and for good reason.

The basket of California state taxes — sales, income and gasoline — rates among the highest in the United States. Yet California roads and K-12 education rank near the bottom.

After years of drought, California has not built a single new reservoir. Instead, scarce fresh aqueduct water is still being diverted to the sea. Thousands of rural central California homes, in Dust Bowl fashion, have been abandoned due to a sinking aquifer and dry wells.

One in three American welfare recipients resides in California. Almost a quarter of the state population lives below or near the poverty line. Yet the state’s gas and electricity prices are among the nation’s highest.
One in four state residents was not born in the U.S. Current state-funded pension programs are not sustainable.

California depends on a tiny elite class for about half of its income tax revenue. Yet many of these wealthy taxpayers are fleeing the 40-million-person state, angry over paying 12 percent of their income for lousy public services.

Public health costs have soared as one-third of California residents admitted to state hospitals for any causes suffer from diabetes, a sometimes-lethal disease often predicated on poor diet, lack of exercise and excessive weight.

Nearly half of all traffic accidents in the Los Angeles area are classified as hit-and-run collisions.

Grass-roots voter pushbacks are seen as pointless. Progressive state and federal courts have overturned a multitude of reform measures of the last 20 years that had passed with ample majorities.
In impoverished central California towns such as Mendota, where thousands of acres were idled due to water cutoffs, once-busy farmworkers live in shacks. But even in opulent San Francisco, the sidewalks full of homeless people do not look much different.

What caused the California paradise to squander its rich natural inheritance?

Excessive state regulations and expanding government, massive illegal immigration from impoverished nations, and the rise of unimaginable wealth in the tech industry and coastal retirement communities created two antithetical Californias.

One is an elite, out-of-touch caste along the fashionable Pacific Ocean corridor that runs the state and has the money to escape the real-life consequences of its own unworkable agendas.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 02:16:53 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline skeeter

Re: Will California ever thrive again?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 02:24:25 pm »
There is no saving California.

It used to be grassroots movements were started here. No more. Anyone so inclined to push back has either left or is planning to leave.

This year we have a chance to vote for either one of two totally koo-koo democrats for senator, thanks to a bill signed by Arnold Schwarzenegger, another celebrity politician.

Because of immigration and a decrepit public schools system we will forever be a one party state.

The only thing that will change the status quo is a total societal collapse.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 02:25:28 pm by skeeter »

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 02:44:39 pm »
There is no saving California.

It used to be grassroots movements were started here. No more. Anyone so inclined to push back has either left or is planning to leave.

This year we have a chance to vote for either one of two totally koo-koo democrats for senator, thanks to a bill signed by Arnold Schwarzenegger, another celebrity politician.

Because of immigration and a decrepit public schools system we will forever be a one party state.

The only thing that will change the status quo is a total societal collapse.
Loretta is "koo-koo", Kamala is evil...I'll be voting for Loretta and when I'm done, I'll go barf and then take a long hot shower....
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 07:01:44 pm »
We in the rest of the United States must not be held accountable to bail this chamber pot out.

The rest of the United States, must brace for the inevitable mass exodus of Californians (and the voting habits they bring with them) ... It's already happening now.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 07:08:31 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 07:27:04 pm »
It may once the Chinese invade and take it over after the DC govt runs out of $$$ and collapses.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 12:24:24 am »
SZonian wrote:
"Loretta is "koo-koo", Kamala is evil...I'll be voting for Loretta and when I'm done, I'll go barf and then take a long hot shower...."

OK, my friend, you set yourself up for this next question:
Who will you vote for, for president?

I dare that you answer.

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 12:29:59 am »
Free Vulcan wrote:
"It may once the Chinese invade and take it over after the DC govt runs out of $$$ and collapses."

You're onto something. I daresay the Chinese will govern the place more conservatively than is being done so now.

Remember the old "Ann Landers question":
"Are you better off with him, or without him?"

Apply that to the state of America "with California", or without it.

We've got Brexit.
We've got Texit.
How about "Californexit" ...?    ;)

Looking at California, it's almost like "Atzlan" has suddenly become a -good- idea!

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 03:13:19 pm »
SZonian wrote:
"Loretta is "koo-koo", Kamala is evil...I'll be voting for Loretta and when I'm done, I'll go barf and then take a long hot shower...."

OK, my friend, you set yourself up for this next question:
Who will you vote for, for president?

I dare that you answer.
School yard taunts?    :laugh:

You're probably not gonna like this non-answer reply...but...

I'm in CA...I'll do my best at the Congressional level to keep Kamala out of there, but when it comes to the Presidential, you actually believe that a "Republican", let alone Trump has any legitimate chance here? 

Last statewide election, EVERY seat/position went to a RAT...and you're wondering if I'm gonna vote for someone? 

I'll wait and see until it gets closer before I decide if I have to make any choices.

Hillary is EVIL, Trump can come across as a dope, and whether or not his "passion" about setting things right in America is sincere, I think he comes in with a hell of a lot less baggage than the murdering witch.  Faint praise to be sure.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 02:49:35 am »
SZonian wrote:
"I'm in CA...I'll do my best at the Congressional level to keep Kamala out of there, but when it comes to the Presidential, you actually believe that a "Republican", let alone Trump has any legitimate chance here?"

I'm in Connecticut, exact same situation as you insofar as "the power of my vote" is concerned.

I'm unsure as to whether Connecticut will ever elect a Republican to national office again. (Aside: the year Joe Lieberman ran as an independent, the Republican candidate here for U.S. Senator received 17% of the votes cast statewide.)

However, if anyone has a chance at proving me wrong, it may be Mr. Trump in November. He's still running behind o'er-the-hillary, but not all that far.
Just today, I saw a handpainted plywood sign put up less than a mile from my house:
"The three stooges: hillary, Bill, and obama".
And this is in a neighborhood full of illegals!