Author Topic: Alligator spotted along Guadalupe River in Comal County  (Read 6107 times)

geronl

Alligator spotted along Guadalupe River in Comal County
« on: June 18, 2016, 09:26:59 pm »
That is kind of close to a popular area with tubers. I see lots of those little buses hauling tubes from the bottom to the top of the tubing area in New Braunfels.

http://keyetv.com/news/local/alligator-spotted-along-guadalupe-river-in-comal-county

Alligator spotted along Guadalupe River in Comal County

You expect to see alligators in Florida -- not in the rivers of Central Texas.

"Just saw something on the side of the bank kind of move," says Neil Griffin.

He was kayaking with a group of about 30 people on the Guadalupe River when he saw an alligator, about four feet long.

Griffin says, "I was shocked and surprised, I've seen alligators before but never in that part of Texas."

He adds, "I wasn't scared of it, just shocked to see it. I wanted to take a picture of it so people would believe me.".

There was one spotted last August too!
Here is a picture from that encounter:

credit: Carey Mueller

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 09:27:33 pm by geronl »

Offline the_doc

Re: Alligator spotted along Guadalupe River in Comal County
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 09:45:36 pm »
That is kind of close to a popular area with tubers. I see lots of those little buses hauling tubes from the bottom to the top of the tubing area in New Braunfels.

http://keyetv.com/news/local/alligator-spotted-along-guadalupe-river-in-comal-county

There was one spotted last August too!
Here is a picture from that encounter:

credit: Carey Mueller

Some idiot probably disposed of a pet gator in the Comal River.  This is very unfortunate.  The Comal River has been great for family tubing for decades and decades.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 10:03:53 pm »
Either a pet that was released or maybe it escaped during the flooding. It could even be the same one spotted last year in the pic.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 11:52:10 pm »
My first thought was about the tubers, too.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 12:04:39 am »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 01:58:23 am »
This does not surprise me.

Conditions are temperate and conducive in a lot of ways to be considered gator country.  Having said that, I do not wish to rename my Longhorns as some reptile, though.

I used to tube the Guadalupe prior to Canyon Lake and do not recall any at that time, but the population was low.

Alligator numbers have greatly increased, so this will happen.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 02:17:06 am »
Here's one way to keep 'em in line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV9KuETVF8I
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline Idiot

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 02:18:01 am »
It appears the alligator was found near Spring Branch, which is up river of Canyon Lake.  Since most of the tubing/rafting takes place below Canyon Lake, I'd guess the river is safe for tubing.  The guys might want to invest in a cup before entering the water though, just in case...lol.
'
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 02:18:55 am by mrpotatohead »

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 04:19:23 am »

Area in red to be part of the Obama legacy -- the Jurasic National Park and Wildlife Preserve.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 04:30:28 am »
Area in red to be part of the Obama legacy -- the Jurasic National Park and Wildlife Preserve.

Hah, I need to move then.  I am definitely in the red!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 04:35:54 pm »
Here's one way to keep 'em in line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV9KuETVF8I

I'd rather face that younger gator in the water than that monster snapper.  That beak would take your leg off.  And a that turtle is large enough to have survived many a fight.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 04:46:39 pm »
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

geronl

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 06:36:59 pm »
I'd rather face that younger gator in the water than that monster snapper.  That beak would take your leg off.  And a that turtle is large enough to have survived many a fight.

Those alligator turtles are scary! Have you seen the inside of their mouths.... yikes

geronl

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 08:14:57 am »
Brazoria County, Texas: Visitors at Surfside Beach Capture Alligator, Report Says
The alligator was captured by visitors at the beach Sunday and later released into the wild by the Texas game warden, KPRC reported. No one was injured in the incident.

Maybe we should rename the thread: Texas Gator Watch

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 11:02:44 am »
Brazoria County, Texas: Visitors at Surfside Beach Capture Alligator, Report Says
The alligator was captured by visitors at the beach Sunday and later released into the wild by the Texas game warden, KPRC reported. No one was injured in the incident.

Maybe we should rename the thread: Texas Gator Watch

Maybe they should release the gators into the Rio Grande. Might be one way to slow border crossings.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline TheMom

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 02:22:41 pm »
Maybe they should release the gators into the Rio Grande. Might be one way to slow border crossings.

:silly: :silly: :silly:
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 12:53:34 pm »
It appears the alligator was found near Spring Branch, which is up river of Canyon Lake.  Since most of the tubing/rafting takes place below Canyon Lake, I'd guess the river is safe for tubing.  The guys might want to invest in a cup before entering the water though, just in case...lol.
'

It's not likely most reptiles would be interested in staying in those waters below the the dam...too cold.

There have been gator sightings outside the map show in this thread....big ones.