Author Topic: Oil and Gas industry to Cut $1 Trillion in Spending After Price Fall  (Read 558 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

For all those who believe lessened oil prices can only be good.

The oil and gas industry will cut $1 trillion from planned spending on exploration and development because of the slump in prices, leading to slower growth in production, according to consultant Wood Mackenzie Ltd.
Worldwide investment in the development of oil and gas resources from 2015 to 2020 will be 22 percent, or $740 billion, lower than anticipated before prices plunged in 2014, with the deepest cuts in the U.S., Wood Mackenzie said in a statement Wednesday. A further $300 billion will be eliminated from exploration spending. Global production this year will be 3 percent lower than previously forecast, the consultant said.

“The impact of falling oil prices on global upstream development spend has been enormous,” Malcolm Dickson, principal analyst at Wood Mackenzie, said in the statement. “Companies have responded to the fall by deferring or canceling projects” in virtually every oil-producing country, he said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-15/oil-industry-to-cut-1-trillion-in-spending-after-price-slump
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:10:41 pm by SirLinksALot »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

Re: Oil and Gas industry to Cut $1 Trillion in Spending After Price Fall
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 10:15:39 pm »
#energy
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 08:39:40 am »
For all those who believe lessened oil prices can only be good.

The oil and gas industry will cut $1 trillion from planned spending on exploration and development because of the slump in prices, leading to slower growth in production, according to consultant Wood Mackenzie Ltd.
Worldwide investment in the development of oil and gas resources from 2015 to 2020 will be 22 percent, or $740 billion, lower than anticipated before prices plunged in 2014, with the deepest cuts in the U.S., Wood Mackenzie said in a statement Wednesday. A further $300 billion will be eliminated from exploration spending. Global production this year will be 3 percent lower than previously forecast, the consultant said.

“The impact of falling oil prices on global upstream development spend has been enormous,” Malcolm Dickson, principal analyst at Wood Mackenzie, said in the statement. “Companies have responded to the fall by deferring or canceling projects” in virtually every oil-producing country, he said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-15/oil-industry-to-cut-1-trillion-in-spending-after-price-slump
Definitely have felt it here. 85+% of the drilling rigs (from the high) are stacked. The jobs went away when the rigs went down.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:40:26 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online LMAO

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 12:16:18 pm »
We were told by the "economists" that these falling oil prices would be a boon for the economy and would unleash all this pent up consumer spending. Yet, last Dec. I read an article how that hasn't happened. The " economist" couldn't understand why.

The Oil Boom jobs were the one bright spot in a " recovery" that has created part time, low paying jobs. When those went away, were did all those oil workers go? Unemployment or one of those waiter and bartender jobs that paid no where near what they were making on the oil fields.

IOW, the "economists" who predicted all this massive consumer spending with falling gas and oil prices forgot the average consumer has been tapped out since the housing bubble popped
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 01:54:21 pm »
We were told by the "economists" that these falling oil prices would be a boon for the economy and would unleash all this pent up consumer spending. Yet, last Dec. I read an article how that hasn't happened. The " economist" couldn't understand why.

The Oil Boom jobs were the one bright spot in a " recovery" that has created part time, low paying jobs. When those went away, were did all those oil workers go? Unemployment or one of those waiter and bartender jobs that paid no where near what they were making on the oil fields.

IOW, the "economists" who predicted all this massive consumer spending with falling gas and oil prices forgot the average consumer has been tapped out since the housing bubble popped

Everyone uses oil and gas so it does make sense that when prices are down, everyone benefits.

Except when one considers oil and gas are resources in the ground.  A resource is like having a bank account in the ground to draw on when needed.  A country with no resources to speak of(like Japan) cannot create that wealth when its 'bank account' is empty.

The ability to extract millions of barrels of oil per day from one's bank account really adds to the vitality of an economy.  Add to that the activity (drilling, facilities, leasing, pipelines) surrounding getting more oil and gas out also adds many jobs to the economy.

Losing a trillion dollars of capital spent to tap that bank account is an awful lot of jobs.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington