Author Topic: What is it like to fire an AR-15? It’s horrifying, dangerous and very very loud (Liberal Snowflake Alert)  (Read 5482 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
See if you can spot all the problems in this article.

It feels like a bazooka — and sounds like a cannon.

One day after 49 people were killed in the Orlando shooting, I traveled to Philadelphia to better understand the firepower of military-style assault weapons and, hopefully, explain their appeal to gun lovers.

But mostly, I was just terrified.....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/firing-ar-15-horrifying-dangerous-loud-article-1.2673201

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??

I suspect the only bazooka he's ever handled belonged to a male dancer someplace...as for the cannon, best not to speculate; but I doubt he's ever seen a real cannon fire either...

:smokin:

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I traveled to Philadelphia to better understand the firepower of military-style assault weapons and, hopefully, explain their appeal to gun lovers.

If he wasn't such a pink snowflake he might better try to understand why such guns appeal to Jihadists and Terrorists and why every American needs to own them and know how to use one in a moment's notice.

But no.  NY values will continue to depict 'gun lovers' as some kind of scary group of people with horrifying and dangerous weapons the government needs to ban and confiscate so snowflakes like him can feel safer.

Idiot.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
What is it like to fire an AR-15?

FUN!!!!!!!!

:2gunz:
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline andy58-in-nh

The AR-15's recoil is rather negligible compared with any number of long guns (owing to a compensator/spring assembly in the stock, the audible report is also relatively tame (compare it with the sound of a .30-06 or a 12-gauge firing buckshot, sometime), and the author is quite evidently an urban pansy.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

The sound and recoil from an AR-15, also known as an M-16 is delicate, compared to previous standard issue military rifles.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Polly Ticks

Good Lord.  Suck it up, Buttercup.  Or don't fire one and save the ammo for the rest of us.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
He loves the AR-15 for cops, soldiers, hunters and target shooters. “It’s fun to shoot something like that,” he said.

Not in my hands. I’ve shot pistols before, but never something like an AR-15. Squeeze lightly on the trigger and the resulting explosion of firepower is humbling and deafening (even with ear protection).

The recoil bruised my shoulder. The brass shell casings disoriented me as they flew past my face. The smell of sulfur and destruction made me sick. The explosions — loud like a bomb — gave me a temporary case of PTSD. For at least an hour after firing the gun just a few times, I was anxious and irritable.

What in the name of all that is good and decent is this? :thud: This is a joke.
First off the .223 is not a good round for hunters, varmints excepted, it just doesn't have the stopping power for bigger game. Second maybe it’s just my experience, but I can't think a pistol as easy to handle as an AR is. The pistol grip plus the stock give you more control over the weapon absorb more recoil and the longer barrel puts the "kaboom" farther away from you. This just doesn’t pass the smell test.

The AR is an easy to handle relatively light kicking weapon. With earplugs you may (depends on the gun) hear more "Sproing" from the recoil spring than the "bang" of the weapon. An AR doesn't sound like a bomb its a loud pop at best.

Surely enough people in this country have the weapons experience to denounce this as hokum.

.30-06 is respectable, .270 has some kick. My Remington 12 gauge pump action with 3 1/2 turkey loads qualifies as a real piece of field artillery. I'm glad PJ boy that wrote the article didn't try a real man sized weapon (no offense to the venerable .223).

Thirdly. This is just pansy-boy nonsense. Idaho_Cowgirl (formerly of FR will have to talk her into signing up some day) was just commenting how she enjoined the smell of burning gunpowder. Oh, and she is a better shot with the shotgun than I am.

Fourthly. Another spot in the article says that you can empty a 40 round clip in 5 seconds. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. 40 round clips. :wtf:
That’s impressive in a magazine fed weapon. I suppose there are out there, but 30 is the standard larger magazine size. This joker's range time have proved that it is impossible to put that many rounds downrange and even trying to approach such speeds would lead to horrible inaccuracy.

In conclusion, either pansy boy wasn't shooting an AR or whatever model he has I would like one. I've never had my shoulder bruised by an AR maybe this boy needs some meat on his bones. I suggest a more truthful headline. Pansyboy thinks Black Scary Rifles are Black and Scary, turns out they are even Blacker and Scarier than he imagined.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

I suspect the only bazooka he's ever handled belonged to a male dancer someplace...as for the cannon, best not to speculate; but I doubt he's ever seen a real cannon fire either...

:smokin:
The local gun club had a minature one they used to shoot off (blanks of course) when they raise the flag before matches.  :patriot:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline ABX

The AR-15's recoil is rather negligible compared with any number of long guns (owing to a compensator/spring assembly in the stock, the audible report is also relatively tame (compare it with the sound of a .30-06 or a 12-gauge firing buckshot, sometime), and the author is quite evidently an urban pansy.

Another funny point in his complaints is 'bazookas' (for all intents and purposes, variations of RPGs, M72, M136, etc) have virtually no recoil simply due to the way they operate. The opposing force is expelled out the back as gas versus within the body.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

Another funny point in his complaints is 'bazookas' (for all intents and purposes, variations of RPGs, M72, M136, etc) have virtually no recoil simply due to the way they operate. The opposing force is expelled out the back as gas versus within the body.

That is a perfectly timed picture. Very Cool.

geronl

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/firing-ar-15-horrifying-dangerous-loud-article-1.2673201

excerpt

One day after 49 people were killed in the Orlando shooting, I traveled to Philadelphia to better understand the firepower of military-style assault weapons and, hopefully, explain their appeal to gun lovers.

But mostly, I was just terrified.

Many gun shops turned down our request to fire and discuss the AR-15, a style of semi-automatic rifle that popular with mass killers such as San Bernardino terrorist Syed Farook and similar to the Sig Sauer MCX rifle used by Orlando terrorist Omar Mateen.

Complete BS

OMG, 

Gersh Kuntzman is.... so many words to describe the imbecility of this article.

Offline bolobaby

"The recoil bruised my shoulder. The brass shell casings disoriented me as they flew past my face. The smell of sulfur and destruction made me sick. The explosions — loud like a bomb — gave me a temporary case of PTSD. For at least an hour after firing the gun just a few times, I was anxious and irritable."

Holy crap. This guy is one of the biggest pu$$ies I've ever encountered.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline bolobaby

.30-06 is respectable, .270 has some kick. My Remington 12 gauge pump action with 3 1/2 turkey loads qualifies as a real piece of field artillery. I'm glad PJ boy that wrote the article didn't try a real man sized weapon (no offense to the venerable .223).

Try a Mosin Nagant with no pad and a tight bolt.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline ABX

We need an entire Mosin thread. I remember a lot of FR members liked them and I have a bit of a collection of them.

Offline RoosGirl

Author's name is very fitting.

Wingnut

"The recoil bruised my shoulder. The brass shell casings disoriented me as they flew past my face. The smell of sulfur and destruction made me sick. The explosions — loud like a bomb — gave me a temporary case of PTSD. For at least an hour after firing the gun just a few times, I was anxious and irritable."

Holy crap. This guy is one of the biggest pu$$ies I've ever encountered.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline andy58-in-nh

I love Mosins - really fun to shoot. It's a relic -a big, heavy, roughly-made and nasty-ass rifle, stamped in three places with the year of Russian manufacture (usually in the early 1940s). There's just something about the smell and feel of residual cosmoline... which you can dissolve nicely with mineral spirits, by the way. You can then polish the bolt (I've used a rotary motor and a soft brush with a mild abrasive, like jeweler's rouge) so that it doesn't bind. 

A word to the wise, though I know the previously initiated already know this by heart: proper bolt reassembly requires a measurement of the firing pin's extrusion, using the tool included with the Mosin field kit. Too short and it won't penetrate the primer. Too long, and the gasses from ignition could explode your receiver. I'd love to see the face of the little wuss who wrote this article if he ever saw that.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline RetBobbyMI

I do not profess to be a gun expert by a long shot, but have fired my fair share of rifles, pistols, machine-guns, recoilless launchers, crew-served weapons, howitzers, etc.

But I have to  :wtf!:  :huh?: and  :3: when I read or hear people spout such idiotic garbage such as this author.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline ABX

Weenie reporter is becoming a meme.

Offline ABX

I love Mosins - really fun to shoot. It's a relic -a big, heavy, roughly-made and nasty-ass rifle, stamped in three places with the year of Russian manufacture (usually in the early 1940s). There's just something about the smell and feel of residual cosmoline... which you can dissolve nicely with mineral spirits, by the way. You can then polish the bolt (I've used a rotary motor and a soft brush with a mild abrasive, like jeweler's rouge) so that it doesn't bind. 

A word to the wise, though I know the previously initiated already know this by heart: proper bolt reassembly requires a measurement of the firing pin's extrusion, using the tool included with the Mosin field kit. Too short and it won't penetrate the primer. Too long, and the gasses from ignition could explode your receiver. I'd love to see the face of the little wuss who wrote this article if he ever saw that.

Mrs Abaraxas and her favorite- 1936 Tula Hex. (don't worry, she didn't shoot like that, she was just looking down the sights while we were setting up- yes, I know, booger picker off the boom switch) I really would like to see snowflake reporter shoot one of these.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Mrs Abaraxas and her favorite- 1936 Tula Hex. (don't worry, she didn't shoot like that, she was just looking down the sights while we were setting up- yes, I know, booger picker off the boom switch) I really would like to see snowflake reporter shoot one of these.

He'd probably wet himself.  :thud:

The Russians killed a lot of Nazis around Stalingrad with that gun, or with one of its M91/30 variants. And 7.62 x 54R ammo is still cheap.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
I fantasize about a range session with a no-kidding Finnish made .338 Lapua and 100 rounds for fun...not sure my shoulder could take it but I'd love to find out.

Just once...

:beer:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
What a pansy ass twit. An AR round is .223, i.e. small. He'd crap his pants over an AK, much less one of the higher calibers like 30-06, .308, 7.62X54, or God forbid a .50 cal. I used to have a .308 bolt that I'd shoot military rounds thru. They'd lift it up right off the bipod.

Then there's this baby from Anzio Iron Works, a 20MM semi-auto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ft2j6J4NcY
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:52:29 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Of course this guy would be writing for the Daily News. You couldn't make a more transparently silly anti-gun propaganda piece than this.

"Temporary case of PTSD."  :silly:

I saw this article from one of my Marine friends, who laughed off the idea that the AR-15 has any appreciable recoil.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024