Author Topic: Miss USA 2016 is… (Military Related)  (Read 1909 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Miss USA 2016 is… (Military Related)
« on: June 06, 2016, 03:14:33 pm »
Miss USA 2016 is…

LAS VEGAS -- The newly crowned Miss USA is a 26-year-old Army officer from the District of Columbia who gave perhaps the strongest answer of the night when asked about women in combat.

"As a woman in the United States Army, I think ... we are just as tough as men. As a commander of my unit, I'm powerful, I am dedicated," Deshauna Barber said. "Gender does not limit us in the United States."

The winner of Sunday's 2016 Miss USA competition held at the T-Mobile Arena off the Las Vegas Strip will go on to compete in the Miss Universe contest.

Barber is the first-ever military member to win Miss USA. In a press conference following the event, the 26-year-old lieutenant from Northeast DC said she plans to take a break from the Army Reserves and had already discussed with superiors the possibility of going inactive for a couple of years should she win the title. She said she currently serves two days per month.

More At: http://www.king5.com/life/miss-usa-2016-is/234143041

Offline Half Vast Conspiracy

Re: Miss USA 2016 is… (Military Related)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 03:29:20 pm »

As a woman in the United States Army, I think ... we are just as tough as men

I assume she is complying with he same PT standards as men?

Right...

@TomSea
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 03:35:28 pm by Half Vast Conspiracy »

Offline r9etb

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 05:07:15 pm »

Right...

@TomSea

Oh, just shut up.  She's out there serving her country and all you can do is try to convince us that you have huge balls.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 05:12:06 pm »
Oh, just shut up.  She's out there serving her country and all you can do is try to convince us that you have huge balls.

There is always someone who has to pee in somebody's else Cherrios, isn't there?

@r9etb

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 05:17:58 pm »

@Half Vast Conspiracy

Seriously?   Out of his post you respond with that!!??     Toughness comes in many forms.   My wife is a very tough woman.   She understands her limitations and doesn't claim or try to be 'tough' in the same way as a man.  Which is what this womans message was.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 05:19:06 pm »

Right...

@TomSea

It's the PC answer at this point.  To a lot of people, the issue of women in combat units is just a way to prove how open-minded they are, and the fact that it will result in less effective units is really beside the point.  And we know what would have happened if she would have answered that question the other way, right?  But now, the entire nation is listening raptly to someone who just peddled a lie that will get people killed, and accepting it without challenge or comment.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 05:20:10 pm »
There is always someone who has to pee in somebody's else Cherrios, isn't there?

@r9etb

Exactly whose Cheerios was he peeing in?

Offline r9etb

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 05:30:12 pm »
Exactly whose Cheerios was he peeing in?

Not me, the other guy.

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 05:31:37 pm »
All this pee talk has me wondering.... which bathroom does she use?

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 05:35:22 pm »
Not me, the other guy.

I know..did not mean you
@r9etb

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 05:38:38 pm »
@Half Vast Conspiracy

Seriously?   Out of his post you respond with that!!??     Toughness comes in many forms.   My wife is a very tough woman.   She understands her limitations and doesn't claim or try to be 'tough' in the same way as a man.  Which is what this womans message was.

How about if half vast conspiracy just said.."She is a good looking woman, good for her, she is a credit to the military"  and move on.

Every comment on the interwebs anymore someone has to bring another person down or bitch about something...stuff like this is exactly why people look at conservatives as nasty old bitter curmudgeons.

@driftdiver
@Half Vast Conspiracy
@r9etb
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 05:42:45 pm by mirraflake »

Offline Half Vast Conspiracy

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 05:39:56 pm »
...all you can do is try to convince us that you have huge balls.

That's what you imagined from my comment?

I'll just to defer to your obvious interest and expertise in ball size.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 06:14:19 pm »
How about if half vast conspiracy just said.."She is a good looking woman, good for her, she is a credit to the military"  and move on.

Every comment on the interwebs anymore someone has to bring another person down or bitch about something...stuff like this is exactly why people look at conservatives as nasty old bitter curmudgeons.

@driftdiver
@Half Vast Conspiracy
@r9etb

@Half Vast Conspiracy
@r9etb

Because she's furthering the propaganda which has and will get people killed.  It will also reduce the militarys ability to defend this country.

Kinda more important than a single persons ego boost don't ya think?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 06:27:46 pm »

So the only acceptable posts are those that agree with the articles POV?  Maybe you've missed it, but there are a lot of military folks who are extremely unhappy about forcing the military to place women in ground combat units.  To us, that is a far more important and substantive issue than who wins a beauty contest.   And when you have someone who uses a public platform to peddle bogus information about women in combat, don't you think that those who oppose that should speak out?  This was posted in "military/defense news" so it certainly seems like military/defense related comments should be appropriate. Is this a political message board, or did I accidently stumble into whatever pop culture forum TMZ runs?

I also have to wonder how she is "a credit to the military".  Because she looks good in a bathing suit?  WTF??  Frankly, I'd rather she not have won so her asinine comments doesn't spread.

Right -- we should just go along with every stupid idea that left peddles so that we don't seem like bitter curmudgeons....  This is an important issue to many people, what's actually sad is that so many other people seem to think it's not a big deal at all.  "Oh, quit complaining about women in infantry units -- it makes you sound like you're compensating for micro-balls and are an old curmudgeon."
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 06:32:41 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 06:37:09 pm »
Just for perspective, here's an opposing article written by another female officer.  I excerpted a bit of it, but the whole thing is worth a read:

Women in the infantry? Forget about it, says female Marine officer

....But at least one female Marine officer, a former college hockey player and battle-tested engineering unit commander still on active duty, says placing women in infantry units is just a bad idea. 

“Infantry is one of those fields we need to leave alone.” Marine Capt. Katie Petronio told msnbc.com.

Petronio was just back from Afghanistan last year — where she worked shoulder to shoulder with infantrymen — when she heard people arguing that it was a violation of rights to restrict women from combat. The rights advocates missed the point, she said.

“It would just keep me up at night when I’d heard these bleeps or opinions,” Petronio said. “I felt if I didn’t do anything about it that my silence was consent and if this would’ve have passed, I wouldn’t have done my due diligence in getting my point across.”

She was compelled to write what became a widely cited article in the privately published Marine Corps Gazette provocatively titled “Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal.” The article details her personal experiences during deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, making the case that the physical rigors of infantry are not for women.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/07/12/12684555-women-in-the-infantry-forget-about-it-says-female-marine-officer?lite

But...she didn't win a beauty contest - just an engineering officer with experience in Afghanistan, so nobody will listen to her.  And the media wouldn't listen to her anyway because she's not espousing their preferred POV.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 06:38:40 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 09:46:17 pm »
We need pics to verify.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmORJmhh6HQ

Deshauna Barber (born December 6, 1989) is an American model, beauty pageant titleholder and officer in the United States Army Reserve. On June 5, 2016, she was crowned Miss USA 2016 by outgoing titleholder Olivia Jordan of Oklahoma. She will represent the USA at Miss Universe 2016.

Barber was born in December 6, 1989 in Columbus, Georgia. She was a military brat, moving due to her father's military career to North Carolina, Nebraska, Minnesota, Virginia, and Washington D.C.. Barber joined the United States Army Reserve at age 17. She attended Virginia State University and graduated with a degree in business management. She went on to work as an IT analyst for the United States Department of Commerce, and later as a quartermaster officer and logistics commander in the Army Reserve. She earned her master's degree in management information systems and services from University of Maryland University College.

Barber is a member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority.

"A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." - Milton Friedman

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 09:51:17 pm »
I think beauty pageants demean women.

But I do find the humor in their being called "scholarship pageants."  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 09:57:01 pm »
We need pics to verify.

Obviously a very attractive girl, though it wouldn't hurt her to down a few dozen double cheeseburgers.

But after seeing her, I have to take back my criticisms.  She definitely looks like she could carry 80+ pounds of gear, plus haul that 60mm mortar baseplate over broken terrain, no problem.  I've seen lots of infantry types built exactly like that.

When the hell did winning a beauty pageant become something for which our military should be lauded? This is the kind of crap that fosters a completely naïve, unrealistic image of what our military is supposed to be doing.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 04:51:14 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Wingnut

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 10:15:10 pm »
Good thing Steve Harvey didn't have to announce the winner of this one.!

Offline r9etb

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 01:37:02 am »
When the hell did winning a beauty pageant become something for which our military should be lauded? This is the kind of crap that fosters a completely naïve, unrealistic image of what our military is supposed to be doing.

I think you've got it backwards.  I think it's great  that a woman who can win a beauty pageant is also the sort who will join the Army -- the latter tells me quite a lot about her character.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 02:20:37 am »
r9etb wrote:
"I think it's great  that a woman who can win a beauty pageant is also the sort who will join the Army -- the latter tells me quite a lot about her character."

Yes, she looks to be ok.
Probably could out-fight me -- with one hand tied behind her back!

Still, I have some reservations.

Sooner or later, one side or the other of the argument over women in combat, is going to meet something called "reality".
Then we'll see what happens.

An image for ya:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 04:54:10 am »
I think you've got it backwards.  I think it's great  that a woman who can win a beauty pageant is also the sort who will join the Army -- the latter tells me quite a lot about her character.

It's not me that has it backwards.  I was responding to another poster who suggested this as an appropriate response:

"She is a good looking woman, good for her, she is a credit to the military"  and move on."

I'm not sure what that poster believes the military should be doing to earn credit, but winning beauty contests would not have been on my list.  And I'd add that as a supply officer in the Reserves whose actual job is with the Department of Commerce, and who does not ever seem to have deployed to a combat zone, perhaps she ought to be a bit more hesitant on opinion on what it takes to be in the infantry.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 04:59:31 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline OldSaltUSN

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2016, 08:18:42 am »

Gee, well, I probably have a bit more military experience than you (i.e. prior C.O. of two Navy units, Navy Commander/05).  I've never felt the need to take a caliper to any part of my anatomy, much less "comparison shop".  But you have fun with that.

I have commanded mixed (coed) units and all male units.  Half of my Navy units wore greens or cammies, carried M16's/M4's, operated crew served weapons, and were not shipboard based.

However, I'm not going to talk about all of that.  I'm going to talk about my daughter.  She's in her late 20's now, but when she was in her late teens, she was one heck of a high school athlete.  She was class Valedictorian, and excelled in cheer leading (which required rigorous gymnastics).  She also played men's baseball.  As the sole girl on her team - heck - probably one of only 2 or 3 girls in the whole county playing at that level, she could hop up on the pull up bars, and pump out 20 or 30 overhand pull-ups, while the boys next to her were trying to get 2 or 3.  When she was doing those pull-us, the boys were awestruck by her muscular definition (and so was her dad!).   She was faster than all but one or two "track stars" on that baseball team.  She regularly patrolled center field in youth baseball, and pulled balls off the fence.  Competition toughened in high school (and so did the anti-female bias of her coach and teammates), limiting her playing time, but she was still stroking over .400 BA, and was still competitive on defense.  She's also has movie-star good looks (i.e. she's working in Hollywood now).   She married a Marine, who served two tours in Iraq, to complete the picture.  (Her dad is insanely proud of her, too, but that's irrelevant to this little story.   :beer:)

She considered joining the military (after he left active duty!).   I didn't want to discourage her, provided some support (e.g. a phone call or two), but NO WAY would I have wanted to see her in combat.  She'd be physically outmatched by nearly every opponent she would have to face.  She would have made a HECK of a Navy Officer - she definitely had the intelligence and disposition.  As an Admin officer, maybe even as a civil engineer or a ship driver, she would have excelled individually and as a leader.

But no, she'd be dead meat in combat, in a one-on-one situation against the average soldier, let alone a raghead Muslim zealot, hopped up on drugs and horny for his 72 virgins.  That's a fact.  And while I love my daughter, and would as her dad want to protect her, the reason I don't want her combat operational, or in command down range is that she'd likely jeopardize the mission just by being there.  She'd likely get some of her men killed.  If you're in combat, you'd sure as heck better be able to hold your own physically, you'd better exude courage and leadership and be able to BACK IT UP, or your crew will lose confidence in you.  A hesitant commander leads to a tentative crew, and that leads to all kinds of trouble.  I don't think that my daughter would have that problem, but as the saying(s) go, "the enemy gets a vote", and every plan goes to sh**t after first contact with the enemy.  She'd be at a disadvantage.

The problem that the OP cited wasn't in disrespect, but in the asinine comment by the woman LT.  I respect her service, I respect her pageant win, but if she REALLY THINKS she belongs in combat, and is just as "tough" as her men, she's a risk to them.

Needless to say, I'm not for women in the military, other than in rear area, NON-COMBAT roles.  And when I mean "rear area", I mean in the states.  (I don't even want to see female JAG officers, because if they can't serve as a line officer in command, and can't carry a weapon, then their ability to properly perform their role will be compromised.)   The Democrats have had sixteen years of the past 24 to practice social engineering on the U.S. Military, and their rot is fairly well along.   When we get into a REAL shooting war, i.e. one with full mobilization and multiple fronts where things like logistics and air power are no longer guaranteed, the U.S. Military will suffer serious losses before the progressive's "perfumed princes" are relieved, and the gay, tranny, and other oddballs are removed from theater, one way or another.

Those oddballs, by the way, begin with the current CINC, SOS, and SECDEV, and the butcher of Benghazi herself, Hitlery.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 08:25:03 am by OldSaltUSN »

Offline OldSaltUSN

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2016, 08:28:40 am »

An image for ya:

Well, if those rifles actually had AMMUNITION in them, I know that I'd run like hell.   I'd hate to die of a stray, "friendly fire" bullet at this stage in my life.   :silly: savme

Offline OldSaltUSN

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2016, 08:36:01 am »
Just for perspective, here's an opposing article written by another female officer.  I excerpted a bit of it, but the whole thing is worth a read:

But...she didn't win a beauty contest - just an engineering officer with experience in Afghanistan, so nobody will listen to her.  And the media wouldn't listen to her anyway because she's not espousing their preferred POV.

And, she exudes a whole lot of integrity.  With her combat service, she's on the fast track for 05 or 06 in a very small lineal numbers pool (i.e. #1 Marine Officers, #2 Female Marine Officers, #3 COMBAT TESTED Female Marine Officers).  She probably just screwed her career future, by opposing the progressive "assumed facts" meme.

Semper Fi, Marine.   :patriot: