Author Topic: Green Beret receiving Silver Star, when some have received the MOH for less  (Read 365 times)

rangerrebew

Green Beret receiving Silver Star, when some have received the MOH for less
By Michael Swaney|June 3rd, 2016|Military News, Popular, Special Operations, U.S. Army|0 Comments

http://popularmilitary.com/green-beret-receiving-silver-star-received-moh-less/

SFC Richard Harris (left) and MSG Danial Adams (right).

Whether a warrior receives a Silver Star or a Medal of Honor is not as important as the man behind the story and more importantly the men he saved.

Today, Sergeant First Class Richard Harris was presented the Silver Star for his actions that did not win a battle or a war but for what for warriors really fight for -their brothers next to them.

On September 13, 2011, Harris was on his ATV patrolling Afghanistan’s Wardak province when his Special Forces element came under attack.

During the ambush, conducted by 20 to 30 enemy fighters firing RPG’s, automatic weapons, indirect fire and precision small arms-, Harris’ Special Forces team became separated.

According to the Journal Sentinel, Harris took cover behind a small shed and called out for his battle buddy, Danial Adams –nicknamed “Slim.”

As he returned fire and attempted to get eyes on Slim, an RPG exploded in close proximity to his position, rendering him unconscious.

When he awoke from the brain-rattling explosion that showered him in shrapnel and debris, he was able to get a clear visual of Slim.

He saw his battle buddy Slim, call sign “Zulu 1,” motionless on the battlefield closer to the enemy than he had been previously.

Fearing that the enemy was attempting to capture his Green Beret comrade was enough for him to throw himself directly into harm’s way.

Between Harris and the enemy lay an open area without a single piece of cover, while he enemy had a mud wall to conceal themselves and fire a barrage of small arms.

Harris, armed only with his M4 and only a few hand grenades, charged to Slim and pulled him in the only direction of cover –towards the enemy.

“When I got to the wall, I could check his pulse as soon as I could take my eyes off the enemy. When I did find out for sure he had been killed in action, I grabbed his hand. I remember his sunglasses were on, I pushed up his sunglasses, his eyes were open a little bit. I closed his eyes and held his hand and said a 10-second prayer for him and his family,” he told the Journal Sentinel.

Harris continued to fight the enemy by firing his M4, throwing grenades and even the use of dangerous close airstrikes, even though none of that was as tough as making the radio transmission – “Zulu 1 is KIA.”

Master Sergeant Danial R. Adams, known to his men as “Slim” and to the secure radio transmissions of Afghanistan as “Zulu 1,” was brought out of the fight by the same men who brought him in.

Harris’ actions that day earned him the nation’s third highest award for valor but for him, it will only be the third most important item he wears –behind Adam’s KIA bracelet and the American flag Adam wore when he died.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 08:57:31 am by rangerrebew »