Author Topic: Trump: Romney 'walks like a penguin'  (Read 6289 times)

Offline libertybele

Re: Trump: Romney 'walks like a penguin'
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2016, 12:17:13 pm »
He continues to insult and attack people; the very people who could help him win the presidency.  He's opened the door wide open for Hillary; though I'm still predicting Hillary will step down and we will see a Sander/Warren ticket. Donny is going to lose and lose big.

#NeverTrump   :patriot:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2016, 03:49:42 pm »
I have to disagree with just about everyone here. Romney is out in public bad mouthing the Republican nominee. So, as nominee, how should you react? Make reasoned arguments and give Romney credibility? Just let it go?

Yes, of course.  Just let it go.  The biggest insult you can levy at a person is to act as if they are irrelevant.  Trump's apparently compulsion to respond to anyone who insults or opposes him is something most people grow out of by their early 20's.  It makes him look petty and small to a whole lot of people.  The only people in his cheering section are those already to committed to voting for him, so there is absolutely no benefit to doing it.  Zero.  In fact, all he did was validate Romney's criticisms about Trump making juvenile insults.

I'm honestly fascinated by the mindset that thinks this was a good idea.

Nope. Trump devastated Romney with just five words. It made the news. It worked perfectly. The message is that Mitt is a has been loser. It came across loud and clear. Now, if Romney ever makes news again, anyone watching won't hear his message. They will be thinking about penguins. Pure genius.

Gotta say that I don't even see the penguin thing at all.  It's not like the "low energy" comment about Jeb that seemed to fit.  It's just random.  And at least the comment about Jeb was about someone who was an opposing candidate in the primaries, so there was some value to taking him down a peg. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 03:50:50 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Oceander

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2016, 03:51:43 pm »
I have to disagree with just about everyone here. Romney is out in public bad mouthing the Republican nominee. So, as nominee, how should you react? Make reasoned arguments and give Romney credibility? Just let it go? The press wouldn't even cover it.

Nope. Trump devastated Romney with just five words. It made the news. It worked perfectly. The message is that Mitt is a has been loser. It came across loud and clear. Now, if Romney ever makes news again, anyone watching won't hear his message. They will be thinking about penguins. Pure genius.

Trump didn't devastate anyone; he simply made himself look like a ridiculous, insecure loser.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2016, 04:10:55 pm »
I have to disagree with just about everyone here. Romney is out in public bad mouthing the Republican nominee. So, as nominee, how should you react? Make reasoned arguments and give Romney credibility? Just let it go? The press wouldn't even cover it.

Baloney. Trump reinforces his character as that of an out of control eight year old, whose parents allow outbursts and tantrums, lest they make their darling feel bad about himself.

Regarding which, I wonder how Trump supporters with eight year old's are dealing with this with their children?   

Offline Poser

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2016, 07:36:24 pm »
Willard Cobblepot :tongue2:

geronl

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2016, 08:12:47 pm »
He still continues to attack Republicans. Wow.

geronl

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2016, 08:14:42 pm »
Trump is just a horrible human being.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2016, 08:16:10 pm »
Baloney. Trump reinforces his character as that of an out of control eight year old, whose parents allow outbursts and tantrums, lest they make their darling feel bad about himself.

Regarding which, I wonder how Trump supporters with eight year old's are dealing with this with their children?

Thank you for stating the obvious!  I can't believe that any adult would see any benefit in childish insults.  Donald needs to grow up before he runs for President.  I am not a Romney fan but this is ridiculous.  It is one thing to use the mistakes of politicians to make clear your point.  But to talk about the way a person walks?  Immature, immature, immature.  Trump cult followers want to elect Toddler in Chief.  I can never vote for such an unstable person of moral weakness.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2016, 08:18:52 pm »

Nonsense.  Most Republicans know Romney to be a decent human being, and even most Trump supporters know Trump to be a sewer dweller.  It's typical for Trump to lash out like this.

You may think this is cute.  Most decent people, however, think it''s juvenile behavior.  He's not dealing with a bunch of cultic followers any longer.  He's got to try to attract Democrats and Independents and this kind of stupidity won't do it.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2016, 08:21:07 pm »

Now we're supposed to be incensed because Trump does the same "genus" of thing as we did back in 2012? (Yes, a different species but definitely the same genus).

Not about Romney.

Trump is now the leader of the Republican Party and he is attacking members of that party over how they walk (I got a bum knee) or because he isn't rich enough.

I know I'm not rich enough. I'm just a "loser" to this clown prince.

I'm not ever voting for this freak. I can say honestly he is one of the few people I truly hate with a passion.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2016, 08:27:34 pm »
Trump devastated Romney with just five words. It made the news.

Now that he's the nominee, the point of the candidacy is not to make the news by devastating Romney, or Martinez, or Cruz, or any other Republican.  He's not running against them and he needs broad Republican support. The point now is to become President of the United States.

Every time Trump opens his mouth with this continued puerile nonsense he loses voters, he doesn't gain them.
James 1:20

HonestJohn

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2016, 08:41:43 pm »

He only 'devastated' Romney to those who already are his supporters.  To everyone else, he looks like an <bleep> attacking a private citizen speaking his mind.  Since he's also attacked other private citizens, it makes the undecided and non-supporters wonder if they are next.

In essence, either convert or die

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2016, 08:56:24 pm »
The point now is to become President of the United States.

I don't think that is true for a lot of Trump supporters.  I really don't.  For them, the priority is catharsis - being able to get years or even decades of frustration off their chests.  And given a choice between venting their emotions and actually winning, those people chose the former every time.

It's the only explanation that makes sense.  When else have we seen an election with supporters of the candidate openly telling swing voters that they don't want their votes?  To them, the purity of the movement is paramount, and they don't want it soiled by the half-hearted votes of the cynical faithless.

It's the most bizarre thing I've ever seen in politics in my lifetime.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:57:08 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline markomalley

« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2016, 09:03:31 pm »
Not about Romney.

Trump is now the leader of the Republican Party and he is attacking members of that party over how they walk (I got a bum knee) or because he isn't rich enough.

I know I'm not rich enough. I'm just a "loser" to this clown prince.

I'm not ever voting for this freak. I can say honestly he is one of the few people I truly hate with a passion.

I got it (not about Romney).

I also have got it that Trump is like an elementary school playground bully. His primary persuasive technique is name calling and, frankly, I tend to believe that if he thought he could get away with it, encouraging his followers to commit physical violence against any who would dare oppose him.

But defending Romney when Trump acts like Trump?

Are we supposed to defend Rosie, Shillery, Obama, also?

Sorry, but I can't see myself ever defending Willard.

All I ask is pick another victim to use as an example...Michelle Fields, miscellaneous disabled veterans, or whoever. Just not this one.

I find it utterly impossible to have sympathy for Willard Mitt Romney.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2016, 09:31:33 pm »
I don't think that is true for a lot of Trump supporters.  I really don't.  For them, the priority is catharsis - being able to get years or even decades of frustration off their chests.  And given a choice between venting their emotions and actually winning, those people chose the former every time.

I've stated elsewhere on this forum my belief that Trump voters are attracted to his belligerence, and will entertain virtually any distortion of logic to pretend that there is substance behind that belligerence.  I had not taken it to the conclusion that they would prefer to lose while emoting rather than to win while maintaining emotional restraint, but I think you're on to something there Maj. Bill.

I'll have to ponder your thought that Trump voters are concerned about the purity of their movement.  I have thought they are simply optimistic about their numbers, believing they have the luxury of alienating anti-Trump Republicans and Conservatives.
James 1:20

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2016, 10:12:54 pm »
The reason I do not believe it is just optimism is that in one breath they will say that he's going to win in a landslide, but in the next breath they say that if he loses it will be the fault of #neverTrump supporting Hillary. 

They know it's not a lock.  They just don't care.

geronl

« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2016, 10:18:15 pm »

But defending Romney when Trump acts like Trump?

I am not defending Romney.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2016, 01:32:31 am »

It's the only explanation that makes sense.  When else have we seen an election with supporters of the candidate openly telling swing voters that they don't want their votes?  To them, the purity of the movement is paramount, and they don't want it soiled by the half-hearted votes of the cynical faithless.

It's the most bizarre thing I've ever seen in politics in my lifetime.

There is another that makes sense.

If you start from the premise that these people are first and foremost, liberals, it all falls into place with no further explanation needed.

To provide evidence, I would direct you (anyone) to their records of support for the past several elections. No matter how leftist the GOP nominee, Senate, House, President... they were there with bells on.

The excuse is always 'pragmatism'. Now what is the actual/literal/functional between a Democrat voting for a liberal and a Republican liberal voting for a liberal? None. Because the liberal elected is the achieved end.

So the question is "Why not simply vote Dem to begin with?" And thats a legit question to ask. The answer is that if you want to destroy something, you have the best results doing it from within. And thats exactly what the facts in evidence show. You have a group of people that are wholly opposed to Social Conservatism and the party platform, pro gay everything, pro atheist, pro abortion and the rest, redefining the very word 'conservatism' and incrementally whittling away all the legs of the chair. They have done it since Reagan left office from the shadows and over the last 10 years are increasingly open about it.

The people so well represented by the animals currently populating FR, are opposed to literally every traditional conservative principle and abandoned them to back a lifetime liberal. There was no  Damascus conversion TO liberalism. They started off Liberal and Sabotaged conservatives/conservatism INTENTIONALLY.

Offline Kinsman Redeemer

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2016, 03:17:03 am »
I'm not defending Romney.

Trump has no quality to serve as President.  He is an immature child who got older.  Now he is an immature adult.

He is a narcissist.  He is only interested in "winning" - it doesn't matter what he has to do to "win", his followers can't seem to look past the "Game" component of the race.  Somehow they have lost sight of what winning the White House actually entails.  It makes no difference to his supporters (or Trump) what Trump will DO, if he's elected.  It's only about THIS moment... "How can I bully?  How can I gain an edge? How can I ridicule the opposition?  How can I vanquish the foe? What lie can I tell?"

This short sightedness is a direct result of a cultural shift that has been in the works for a few decades.  It's described variously as the "Me Generation", "Instantaneous gratification", "Reality TV culture", "Entitlement", and "Vicarious Living."  They started out as channel surfers and now they are web-surfers.  They need not invest much.  They say, "other people will satisfy my interests and entertain me until I get tired of them and move on."  They don't know sacrifice. 

They don't know the cost of liberty.

Trump has no capability to manage the affairs of the nation, he lacks the character that would make him even marginally "good." His "greatness" is in his mirror.  His childish, self-centered behavior will not lead to a successful Presidency.  He does not have some other "persona" to adopt.  (Even so, I would not want a man who changes his "persona" the way Trump promises that he would.)   He won't change.  WYSIWYG, unfortunately.

The Romney "penguin" remark is classic Trump.  He uses childish name-calling, gets it to stick by repeating it, and Lo! all the minions are drawn him like a new and shiny distraction.  They will marvel at how very great their chosen leader is at "winning."

Trump is a useless man.  I have no regard for him.  There is no honor in his victory because he is not motivated to do anything other that win - beyond that he has nothing to offer.  He is a "Fail" in the making. 

I won't be a part of it.

Honor and Courage dictate otherwise.

KR
The real enemy seeks to devour what is good.

Offline markomalley

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2016, 11:42:20 am »
I am not defending Romney.

I understand that.

But we see a phenomenon here where, to some, Romney suddenly becomes the epitome of conservatism simply because he opposes Trump.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2016, 01:16:29 pm »

goopo @Poser

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2016, 01:17:31 pm »
I understand that.

But we see a phenomenon here where, to some, Romney suddenly becomes the epitome of conservatism simply because he opposes Trump.

:thumbsup3: @markomalley

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2016, 01:36:07 pm »

And Rubio devastated Trump with two words:  "small hands."

And you know it pisses him off to no end.  Few people can watch Trump, see his hands, and not be thinking about.....well, you know.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2016, 02:50:22 pm »
I understand that.

I didn't even support Romney after he had the nomination in 2012. I was open about that on FR too.

geronl

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2016, 02:52:45 pm »
I also posted things like this is 2012.

Free Republican has completely failed since then.