Author Topic: Memorial Day Tribute | Mansions of the Lord | Hillsdale College  (Read 12831 times)

Offline WAC

Re: Memorial Day Tribute | Mansions of the Lord | Hillsdale College
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2016, 06:42:35 pm »

Offline WAC

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2016, 06:56:57 pm »

..........WWI VETS WERE 'ARCHITECT AND SCULPTOR' BEHIND THE TOMB OF THE UNKNOWNS.............we honor them today....

Offline WAC

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2016, 07:02:56 pm »

.........Nato Troops honoring the fallen in Kabul Afghanistan....

Offline WAC

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2016, 07:05:23 pm »

Offline flowers

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2016, 07:07:40 pm »

Love that photo of the poochie jumping.

Offline WAC

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2016, 07:23:36 pm »

Amazing story......

94 year old WWII B-17 gunner revisits England where he dies while touring at the Battle of Britain Bunker......

U.S. Air Force Master Sgt. Melvin Rector long carried England in his heart after he helped defend it during World War II, but 70 years passed without him stepping foot back in the country.... finally decided to leave his home in Fla., to visit Britain earlier this month. ....."He planned it for like the last six months," Rector's stepdaughter stated... "He couldn't wait to go."

On May 6, Rector stepped foot on British soil for the first time in 71 years. ......... Rector toured 'Battle of Britain Bunker', an underground command center where fighter airplane operations were directed during D-Day. .....After climbing back into the sunlight, he told Jowers he felt dizzy. ....She grabbed one of his arms, and a stranger grabbed the other.

....There, just outside the bunker where Winston Churchill famously said,.. "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few," ......Rector died quietly......."He couldn't have asked for a better way to go," she stated "It was quick and painless."

"He walked out of that bunker like his tour was done," ...Mission accomplished!

Before repatriating his remains to the United States, a small service for the fallen hero was planned in Britain. It did not remain a small
service............................word of Rector's war record reached the American and British Armed Forces. The American Embassy donated a
flag to drape over his coffin, and the room filled with servicemen and women and London historians who had never met Rector but
wanted to pay their respects to their spiritual brother in arms.

Rector's five other children, will have the opportunity to pay their respects on June 9 at First Baptist Church of Barefoot Bay. Rector's
remains were repatriated to the U.S. on Tuesday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the aircraft on which he served as a gunner was the Memphis Belle, the first heavy bomber to complete its tour by flying 25 missions with its crew intact.

It went on to have a post-war career raising morale and money for the U.S. Army. Writes historian John Buescher of the warplane:

"After both crew and plane completed their respective 25th mission, the crew received the Air Medal with three Oak Leaf Clusters and the Distinguished Flying Cross. They were then ordered in June to fly the Memphis Belle back to the United States for a cross-country tour, the aim of which was to increase morale back home and to sell War Bonds. . . . When the Memphis Belle completed its tour (the first heavy bomber to do so), it was a joyful event, not only for the crew, but also for the entire air command and the American public."

The B-17 Flying Fortress garnered such attention that not one but two films were made about it: a documentary in 1944 and an eponymously titled drama in 1990, starring John Lithgow, Matthew Modine and Harry Connick, Jr.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2016, 07:25:45 pm »
That is an amazing story, @WAC!

Offline WAC

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2016, 07:49:04 pm »

Offline WAC

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2016, 07:50:42 pm »

.......Perth Australia's hosts USA Memorial Day2016  at ceremony in Kings Park .....

Offline WAC

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2016, 07:52:43 pm »
That is an amazing story, @WAC!

Makes you wonder doesn't it.....to think the guy finally returned there but then to die so peacefully touring the bunker he remembers so well......just an amazing story to be sure!

Offline WAC

« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2016, 08:09:36 pm »

........FORT HOOD SOLDIERS RUN TO HONOR AND REMEMBER THE FALLEN.....

(Annual 10K/5K run commemorates fallen service members...Several Soldiers from the 79th Explosive Ordnance Disposal Battalion ran the 5K while wearing 75-lb bomb suits.)

Offline WAC

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2016, 08:15:47 pm »

........HONORING ALL THE THE ANGEL NURSES WHO GAVE THEIR LIFE FOR FREEDOM.....HERE ARE THE NURSES AT BATTAN......

Offline WAC

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2016, 08:18:18 pm »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2016, 08:21:43 pm »
Thanks for all the posts WAC...hope others here take the time to read this thread.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline WAC

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2016, 08:21:59 pm »
....HARDER DAY FOR SOME THAN OTHERS......REMEMBERING TOO THOSE WHO SACRIFICED THEIR LOVED ONES......

Offline WAC

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2016, 08:28:59 pm »
Thanks for all the posts WAC...hope others here take the time to read this thread.

I'm a photo buff so I do love posting them.........they often speak what words can't say.....and tell stories often without words...

or reveal truth when falsehood rules the media.

I hope others visit the thread too. For me it's very moving in so many ways.....and I'm so humbled when I think of my petty problems! 

Our lives and history rests on the pillars of those who bled and died.......and it goes way back in time!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2016, 08:32:19 pm »

I'm a photo buff so I do love posting them.........they often speak what words can't say.....and tell stories often without words...

or reveal truth when falsehood rules the media.

I hope others visit the thread too. For me it's very moving in so many ways.....and I'm so humbled when I think of my petty problems! 

Our lives and history rests on the pillars of those who bled and died.......and it goes way back in time!

It goes back to the very beginning.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline WAC

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2016, 08:34:49 pm »

Offline WAC

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2016, 08:38:59 pm »
It goes back to the very beginning.

Yes..... and these soldiers follow another who gave his life to set us free...forever!

Offline WAC

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2016, 08:39:43 pm »

Offline WAC

« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2016, 08:48:54 pm »

....Beirut 1983 ......

Offline WAC

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2016, 08:56:17 pm »

6 yr old from Pa. sits next to his fathers's grave on Memorial Day in Section 60 of Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va., Monday. His father Army Staff Sgt. Jonathan P. Schmidt, died Sept. 1, 2012, in Batur Village, Afghanistan, while serving during Operation Enduring Freedom.

Offline WAC

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2016, 08:58:14 pm »

...Some remember ore than others.........

Offline WAC

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2016, 09:00:28 pm »

Offline WAC

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2016, 09:09:02 pm »
 An estimated 41 million Americans have served in the U.S. military during conflicts and wars since 1776.

That amounts to about 7 percent of the total population preserving the liberty and freedoms of the other 93 percent of us.

Between April 1861 and April 1865, at least 2.5 million men served in the Union Army, the majority volunteers.

Today....According to the Def. Manpower Data Center, approximately 1.4 million people are serving in the U.S. Armed Forces — about

one half a percent of our population.