Author Topic: 'I was in trouble': Beer can and bears save mushroom picker from hungry wolf (regrets not having her gun)  (Read 415 times)

Online mountaineer

'I was in trouble': Beer can and bears save mushroom picker from hungry wolf
Joanne Barnaby was stalked by a wolf for 12 hours, eventually leading the animal into a trap

By Katherine Barton, CBC News Posted: Jun 15, 2016 11:22 AM CT
Last Updated: Jun 17, 2016 11:51 AM CT
What's the best way to fend off a wolf that's stalking you? Bait it with a bear cub, of course.

It sounds incredible, but that's exactly what Joanne Barnaby did when she got into a terrifying situation while out picking morel mushrooms near Fort Smith, N.W.T., last Friday.

Barnaby and her friend Tammy Caudron headed out to an area burned by wildfires to spend an hour or two searching for the elusive morels. They soon became separated, leaving Barnaby alone with her loyal dog, Joey.

Once her pail was full of mushrooms, she turned to head back toward her truck.

Joanne Barnaby was mushroom picking when she got separated from her friend near Fort Smith, N.W.T. (CBC)

"I heard this growl behind me. There was a long, tall, very, very skinny wolf. A black wolf. And his legs were spread and his hair was standing, and he was growling, and baring his teeth."

Joey charged the animal, but the wolf stood its ground.  ...

Barnaby is still kicking herself for not bringing her gun into the bush, calling it a "huge mistake."

"Don't do what I did. Don't go without your gun," she says. "Anything can happen.

"If I had had that gun, it would've been a very short situation."
Full story at CBC

UPDATE:
After terrifying wolf encounter, N.W.T. woman faces media storm and naysayers; Joanne Barnaby is fielding movie offers and skepticism about whether a wolf really stalked her for 12 hours
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org