Author Topic: Characteristics Associated with Cultic Groups - Revised -- Applied to political movements  (Read 1984 times)

Offline markomalley

This list was compiled by the International Cultic Studies Association

• The group displays excessively zealous and unquestioning commitment to its leader and (whether he is alive or dead) regards his belief system, ideology, and practices as the Truth, as law.
    • Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished.
    • Mind-altering practices (such as meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions, and debilitating work routines) are used in excess and serve to suppress doubts about the group and its leader(s).
    • The leadership dictates, sometimes in great detail, how members should think, act, and feel (for example, members must get permission to date, change jobs, marry—or leaders prescribe what types of clothes to wear, where to live, whether or not to have children, how to discipline children, and so forth).
    • The group is elitist, claiming a special, exalted status for itself, its leader(s) and members (for example, the leader is considered the Messiah, a special being, an avatar—or the group and/or the leader is on a special mission to save humanity).
    • The group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality, which may cause conflict with the wider society.
    • The leader is not accountable to any authorities (unlike, for example, teachers, military commanders or ministers, priests, monks, and rabbis of mainstream religious denominations).
    • The group teaches or implies that its supposedly exalted ends justify whatever means it deems necessary. This may result in members' participating in behaviors or activities they would have considered reprehensible or unethical before joining the group (for example, lying to family or friends, or collecting money for bogus charities).
    • The leadership induces feelings of shame and/or guilt iin order to influence and/or control members. Often, this is done through peer pressure and subtle forms of persuasion.
    • Subservience to the leader or group requires members to cut ties with family and friends, and radically alter the personal goals and activities they had before joining the group.
    • The group is preoccupied with bringing in new members.
    • The group is preoccupied with making money.
    • Members are expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group and group-related activities.
    • Members are encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members.
    • The most loyal members (the “true believers”) feel there can be no life outside the context of the group. They believe there is no other way to be, and often fear reprisals to themselves or others if they leave (or even consider leaving) the group.

So why bring this list up here?

I felt very, very uneasy around particularly rabid Obama followers back in the 2007 and 2008 time frame. I distinctly remember some of them approaching me with leaflets, like Hare Krishna followers with daisies, trying to convince me that the Messiah had come.

How many of us don't remember these days?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mvP0ArKIGY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_l8KK3gGxQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ettl3zfLWus

Thankfully those days are nearing an end.

Sadly, though, when reviewing the above list again, I see the followers of at least a couple of political campaigns exhibiting similar characteristics. Thankfully no school songs yet. But a disturbing number of these bullets appear to be fully up-to-date.

My question for the group is this: am I alone in noticing these characteristics?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
      • Sword At The Ready
    Nope.  History repeats for a reason, and exactly as Hoffer spelled out for us in his research about mass movements - the True Believers are back, and just like back in 2007-2008, past associations, statements, beliefs or charges will matter to those who see their anointed as King or Queen Presumptive.

It's what happens when the foundations of a Republic and civil society no longer exist.

They turn to demagogues who promise them everything and declare punishment for whom they blame for the miseries they helped fund, establish and propagate.
    Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Richardtavor

I strongly agree with your comments.   The cult took over at Free Republic.  I noticed it immediately as I have studied the Holocaust extensively and noticed the similarities between modern day movements and the rise of the 3rd Reich.  The similarity is that people are looking for a messiah to take us out of the mess that we are in.  Someone here compared Trump to Jesus.  I believe and hope that that was sarcasm.  It might not be far from the truth to compare him as a Messiah.  That is certainly what the masses did with Obama.  Another poster compared Trump and Cruz as a populist vs an idealogue.  That is somewhat true, but not the whole story.  Trump is an idealogue as well as a populist - so was Hitler.  Their messages were essentially populist, except you could substitute 'make America Great again' with 'make Grrmany great again.'  Germany was mired in financial distress and their pride had been shattered.  Does that mean that Trump is like Hitler?  Heavens no.  But both were/are extreme nationalists.  That is what made Hitler's rise possible.   The extreme emotions that Trump has mananaged to unleash in his followers has brought forth the hidden anger and has generated the lack of civility that are normal for them..  Trump has launched an anger seeking missile and whether he becomes president or not, the country will be different.  Whether you are a Trump supporter or not, he was able to do us all a favor and expose thr RNC for what it is.  We will no longer blindly follow the RNC because they 'represent us'.  That is how Blacks have remained forever in servitude to the DNC, but Trump has opened our eyes to see that rhe Republican Party tries the same on conservatives..  I really csn't tell the difference any longer between the RNC Nd rhe DNC.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
    • Realist

Offline sinkspur

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
    • Realist
    « Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:47:40 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline LadyLiberty