Author Topic: Jungle Book 2016  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Jungle Book 2016
« on: May 13, 2016, 05:55:56 pm »
Jungle Book 2016
Greg Crosby
http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/crosby051316.php3

Regular readers of this space will know that as a former Disney animator/ story/gagman and recovering studio executive, I have spent almost 30 years as a creative member of the Walt Disney Company in one way or another. As a kid I loved all the Disney classic animated features and couldn't wait to work for that magical company when I grew up. I never did grow up, but I did get hired at Disney Studios when I was 21 years of age.

Having just seen the new version of The Jungle Book I think I have the moral and creative authority to offer you my thoughts on it. Movie reviewing is not my thing, but having strong opinions on stuff, especially stuff I've spent my life involved in, is not only my right but also my obligation to share with my readers. So here we go. Oh, before I begin I should tell you that I am no longer part of the Disney organization. My opinions are mine alone for better or worse. Okay, now let's get started. …

… Which brings us to the Disney Company's 2016 version, a live action/CGI picture directed by Jon Fareau. As an old-school Disney traditionalist I had doubts about what this new take on the Jungle Book would look like. I'd heard that it was to be live-action with extensive computer imaging used throughout. I'm generally not a big fan of CGI technology interwoven into liveÐaction since too many times the tech part is way over done and looks phony. This time it worked. The entire production was seamless. It brought the animals to life in a truly magical way. …

… As a bonus, the picture did not engage in the politically correct preaching that we find in many pictures today. No left wing agenda, no messages. How refreshing!

Read more at http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/crosby051316.php3#lkdwtl18UbDRxfXh.99

I haven't seen it yet myself, but it sounds like this may be one worth taking the time to go see.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 05:56:14 pm by Idaho_Cowboy »
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Jungle Book 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 05:58:43 pm »
Do so!

I'll not spoiler it (if it's possible to spoiler a remake of a classic of a classic book) but GO SEE IT. Take kids - preferably ones you are related to in some way or you get funny looks.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 06:17:20 pm »
Do so!

I'll not spoiler it (if it's possible to spoiler a remake of a classic of a classic book) but GO SEE IT. Take kids - preferably ones you are related to in some way or you get funny looks.
Thanks. I will have to do that. It's so rare to find good kid friendly movies anymore.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 06:19:48 pm »
I took 4 of the grandkids. They liked it more than Inside Out and wanted to talk about it afterwards (I take them out for a meal after the movie - proper sit down place, not fast food).
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 06:59:12 pm »
How odd - sounds like a good movie. 

I'll have to take the little ones to see it.

geronl

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 07:10:35 pm »
The trailer looks awesome.

But I have still have issues with the "animals are superior to humans" moral of the Hollyweird story

Offline TheMom

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 12:06:01 am »
The original Jungle Book is still my all time favorite movie.

This movie does look like it will be a good one.  If it's still in theaters when I finally get back to Houston, I'm taking the grandkids; if not I'll buy the DVD.
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 03:02:05 am »
THe family loved  it.  Some reviewers complained that they borrowed well known songs from the original animimated movie, and thought best they leave music out, but not me. I loved the music as much as I did the first time hearing it. 

My only negative was the king kong size of the orangutan.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline verga

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 01:06:03 pm »
@Idaho_Cowboy Went last week with the wife to see it. They did an outstanding job on it. I loved the original and this was done very well.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline TheMom

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 11:51:46 pm »
Finally watched this movie last night with my 6 y.o. grandson.  His concern about watching the movie was whether Mowgli would be "making googlie eyes at the end of the movie".  He fell asleep half way through the movie, not me though.  I watched the entire thing and gotta say I loved it. 

geronl

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 12:48:12 am »
Let me guess that the eco-nuts have the boy choose the animals over people in the end... (heh, I already know)

Offline skeeter

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 12:51:11 am »
Jungle Book 2016
Greg Crosby
http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/crosby051316.php3

Regular readers of this space will know that as a former Disney animator/ story/gagman and recovering studio executive, I have spent almost 30 years as a creative member of the Walt Disney Company in one way or another. As a kid I loved all the Disney classic animated features and couldn't wait to work for that magical company when I grew up. I never did grow up, but I did get hired at Disney Studios when I was 21 years of age.

Having just seen the new version of The Jungle Book I think I have the moral and creative authority to offer you my thoughts on it. Movie reviewing is not my thing, but having strong opinions on stuff, especially stuff I've spent my life involved in, is not only my right but also my obligation to share with my readers. So here we go. Oh, before I begin I should tell you that I am no longer part of the Disney organization. My opinions are mine alone for better or worse. Okay, now let's get started. …

… Which brings us to the Disney Company's 2016 version, a live action/CGI picture directed by Jon Fareau. As an old-school Disney traditionalist I had doubts about what this new take on the Jungle Book would look like. I'd heard that it was to be live-action with extensive computer imaging used throughout. I'm generally not a big fan of CGI technology interwoven into liveÐaction since too many times the tech part is way over done and looks phony. This time it worked. The entire production was seamless. It brought the animals to life in a truly magical way. …

… As a bonus, the picture did not engage in the politically correct preaching that we find in many pictures today. No left wing agenda, no messages. How refreshing!

Read more at http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/crosby051316.php3#lkdwtl18UbDRxfXh.99

I haven't seen it yet myself, but it sounds like this may be one worth taking the time to go see.

@Unlimited

Whats Unlimited's take?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 12:51:41 am by skeeter »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 12:58:23 am »
It was for sale in the grocery store, so I got it.  Hope to watch it after the UT/Notre Dame game.

Offline TheMom

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 11:36:12 pm »
Let me guess that the eco-nuts have the boy choose the animals over people in the end... (heh, I already know)

That they did. 

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 12:42:50 am »
It is a beautiful modern remake of a film my kids worn out about 6 times.  We all agreed that they downplayed the music too much.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.