Poll

To best aid his electability, whom should Trump pick as his VP nominee?

Ted Cruz
2 (5.3%)
Marco Rubio
1 (2.6%)
John Kasich
3 (7.9%)
Susana Martinez, governor of NM
6 (15.8%)
Nikki Haley, governor of SC
2 (5.3%)
Scott Walker
4 (10.5%)
Mia Love (R-UT - US House)
1 (2.6%)
Rick Perry
1 (2.6%)
Jim Webb
3 (7.9%)
Someone else (please comment)
15 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: June 17, 2016, 10:23:56 pm

Author Topic: Whom Should Trump Pick As VP?  (Read 25446 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Whom Should Trump Pick As VP?
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2016, 10:40:17 pm »
Homer Simpson?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2016, 10:54:52 pm »
Sure, why not? Whatever he thinks he needs to do to get the votes.
Not sure what a "fermale" is, but...not that there's anything wrong with that, to quote Seinfeld.
(That two letters close together thing happens to me a lot on Iphones when I post from them)LOL

I don't know what a fermale is, don't want to know, yet the Obama administration probably has lawsuit lined up to make sure they get equal representation in bathrooms.

geronl

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2016, 11:22:22 pm »
The problem Cruz has is his unpopularity with his peers in congress.

The whole "we want an outsider" thing was always a big fat lie from the Trump side

A-Lert

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2016, 11:40:53 pm »
The whole "we want an outsider" thing was always a big fat lie from the Trump side

Cruz is a politician. Trump obviously is NOT. Sad that you are unable to discern the difference.

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2016, 11:59:36 pm »
Cruz is a politician. Trump obviously is NOT. Sad that you are unable to discern the difference.

Trump is a baffoon. Nobody in their right mind would sign on to be his VP candidate...the commodore on the USS Trumptanic. Which is exactly why Sarah Palin should do it. She's dumb enough.  :chairbang:
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Wingnut

« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2016, 12:14:54 am »

Trump is a baffoon. Nobody in their right mind would sign on to be his VP candidate...the commodore on the USS Trumptanic. Which is exactly why Sarah Palin should do it. She's dumb enough.  :chairbang:

Trump/Palin  The Ticket that put the 'Duh' in duh-mock-racy.

A-Lert

« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2016, 12:19:54 am »

Sure, a billionaire "buffoon" and Palin is dumb. Your childish insults reflect upon you. Grow up.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2016, 12:22:52 am »
Awesome! Trump/Monkey is at 44% in the poll!

Bill Cipher

« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2016, 01:27:39 am »
Trump is unique. He's not a politician, he's not beholden to any lobby or ideology for that matter, as nearly all of us have wished for years, he's not afraid to disavow political correctness and tell it like it is.

No, he's not your average right-wing candidate but, he's a champion of the average Joe. With our country headed toward total ruin, we need someone like him.

You can't get on board with that...fine but, don't belittle those who do.

Trump is beholden to the political class for the simple reason that he's a crony capitalist.  As far as being for the little guy goes, seriously?  The only person Trump has ever been for is himself - if his actual history is to be believed, as opposed to his own self-serving statements - and to say there is a paucity of evidence to say he's changed is to reach new heights of understatement. 

Kool-aid
Fool-aid
Tool-aid

Offline Texan

« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2016, 01:50:16 am »
Rubio or Kasich make sense to help him in either Florida or Ohio.
I don't think it will matter much.
His negatives are still pretty high at this point.
He has got to have broader appeal.
A lot of politicians are worried about being tied to Trump, frankly, and with logical reasons to be so.
Seems logical since Florida and Ohio are so critical, but can you pick a VP that called you a "con man" among other things?

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2016, 02:15:24 am »
Seems logical since Florida and Ohio are so critical, but can you pick a VP that called you a "con man" among other things?

The folks who are with him now would not be bothered but to those who is supposedly trying to appeal to they might say  :wtf!:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2016, 02:59:07 am »
The folks who are with him now would not be bothered but to those who is supposedly trying to appeal to they might say  :wtf!:
... Or could you run as a VP when you were called "Little Marco" and Kasich being questioned about his manhood?
Cuts both ways.
Reagan chose Bush after the "voodoo economics " quote but that wasn't quite so personal.

I guess we'll see.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 03:00:04 am by GrouchoTex »

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2016, 12:10:43 pm »
I don't know what a fermale is, don't want to know, yet the Obama administration probably has lawsuit lined up to make sure they get equal representation in bathrooms.

That would be these 'gals'

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2016, 12:39:43 pm »
The three swing state polls that came out yesterday showing Trump and Clinton neck and neck in Pennsylvania, Ohio and Florida also revealed Trump's biggest weakness.   Clinton remains far more trusted to respond to an international crisis.  According to the NYPost:

In the three states, between 51 and 55 percent of voters said Clinton had 'the right kind of temperament and personality to handle an international crisis as President',  while Trump's numbers ranged from 29 percent to 34 percent

Trump's problem isn't his populism, or his departures from conservative orthodoxy.   His weakness in terms of the general election is that he's a wackobird who could get Americans killed in a crisis.   That's what he's got to try to address with his Veep pick.

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2016, 12:45:13 pm »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Wingnut

« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2016, 01:07:16 pm »
Don't Go off Half Cocked. Vote Trump/Jenner

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2016, 01:26:41 pm »

Still be better than Hillary/Commie, La Raza.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 01:27:09 pm by wolfcreek »

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2016, 03:46:31 pm »
I don't believe that it matters who The Donny Chooses as V.P. wanna be...as his campaign is only sightly more authentic than that of this recently announced team of MUPPETS!!!

Have Indentified as a Male since birth!

geronl

« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2016, 08:06:37 pm »

Trump is a pimp but he has been buying politicians for decades, he golfs with Boehner and Bill Clinton, has Soros over for Christmas... he is friends with the establishment.

I'm still voting for Ted.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2016, 08:13:44 pm »
Unfortunately, this fellow has gone on to his reward. It's a shame, because he and The Donald would have made a heck of a hair band, if not a presidential team.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

A-Lert

« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2016, 08:55:29 pm »

Wingnut

« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2016, 09:13:59 pm »
Trump is a pimp but he has been buying politicians for decades, he golfs with Boehner and Bill Clinton, has Soros over for Christmas... he is friends with the establishment.

I'm still voting for Ted.

Trumps doesn't have the style to Pimp.

Now this cat...Meet Trumps new VP.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2016, 09:17:41 pm »
OK - you wanted some serious input….

Here is who I don’t think is on Trump’s short list:

Ted Cruz – way too much very personal rancor between the two.  For Trump to ask and for Cruz to accept at this point would be tailor made campaign ads for Clinton.  All she would have to do is run the sound bites of Trump repeatedly calling Cruz a liar and Cruz calling Trump a narcissistic liar. For them to stand smiling, hand in hand on the stage at Cleveland would be a disaster IMO. While politics is a rough full contact sport and jabs are made, I just don’t see the two men hugging it out and singing Cum By Ya. The #nevertrump Cruz supporters would not I believe forgive Cruz for betraying his principles nor would they suddenly put their trust in Trump. And how would those Trump supporters who truly believe that Cruz is the Devil Incarnate feel about it? Not going to happen.

Marco Rubio – some of the same reason as above plus Rubio says he is not interested. In fact, he hasn’t even really “endorsed” Trump, only saying, “I signed a pledged to support the nominee.” Sort of like saying, “I signed that damned piece of paper way back when, back when I thought Trump was a joke, but since I signed it, I have to live with it. But I don’t have to like it”. LOL!

Scott Walker – his support for Trump is tepid at best, quite a bit like Rubio’s.

John Kasich – two term governor of Ohio and former congressman, he has both executive and legislative experience, and he could be a ticket balancer as he’s somewhat of a moderate on some issues and strongly conservative on others and from a swing state.  But Kasich has said there is “zero” chance, “Never. No chance” of him being Trump’s running mate. And Trump said it was “unlikely” that Kasich would make the short list. We will see what happens but I don’t see Trump and Kasich as a fit with each other.

Mia Love – too inexperienced IMO and not enough name recognition. And her Mormon religion, although not any big deal to me at all, might turn off some Evangelicals. And she’s got the “birther/ “eligibility” cloud hanging over her - born here in the US, but her parents did not become citizens, didn’t even have their “green cards” until after her birth – some call her an “anchor baby”.  I think she is a NBC but others may question that and make it and her religion an issue. But her inexperience is probably more of an issue for Trump.

Martinez and Haley - both have said they are definitely not interested and Trump even said that Haley wasn’t under consideration. Either might be looked at as an affirmative action pick and like Love, some “birthers” have questioned Haley’s eligibility.

Rick Perry – he seems to be interested but could be labeled as a twice failed POTUS candidate. The lieutenant governor and then governor of Texas, outside of Texas he doesn’t seem to have much popularity and has no experience in DC.

Jim Webb – despite Carson saying that Trump would be open to nominating a Democrat as his VP, and then Trump throwing Carson under the bus, saying a day later that, “No”, that he (Trump) would not consider a Democrat, Webb is not very likely.

Not on the poll but supposedly under consideration or on the short list:

Chris Christie – Trump recently said Christie is on the short list, but IMO that wouldn’t fly as both are brash outspoken North Easterners with big, dare I say YUGE egos.  And Christie wouldn’t bring in votes from NJ due to his current low popularity and would probably hurt Trump overall in other states, especially in the South and Mid-West and West. Some people in other parts of the country even see NY and NJ as being the same state –  : )

Newt Gingrich – too much baggage and too long out of office. But he might be a very good cabinet pick or even as Chief of Staff or Press Secretary.

Sarah Palin or Ben Carson – Trump dissed and disassociated himself from Palin over her comments on Sunday regarding Ryan and she hasn’t been on the campaign trail in any official capacity since just before the Wisconsin vote when she (or Trump) suddenly canceled her campaign appearance.  Carson evidently has just been removed from the VP search committee but met with Ryan by phone today “ahead of the Trump meeting” with Ryan tomorrow. Carson also said he wasn’t interested in the VP slot. And “low energy” Carson just doesn’t seem to have the personality to deal with Congress.  Carson, like Palin also suffers from Foot In Mouth disease.

Joni Ernst (Junior Senator from Iowa and has a military background) - seemed to support but did not full out endorse Rubio. IMO, she does not have enough experience for the VP slot but is said to be on the short list.

Jan Brewer (former AZ governor) - she’s a woman and has conservative creds, has been a big Trump supporter and Trump surrogate on TV all along and certainly shares his border and illegal immigration positions but has no DC experience.

Mary Fallen (current governor of OK and a former congresswoman) – she IMO might be a good pick for Trump as aside from being a woman, she has both executive and legislative experience and is conservative. But she seems to have little name recognition outside of OK.

But I think Trump is navigating his ship through some narrow channels.

On one hand (even if he says he doesn’t need them) he has to smooth over and convince at least some of the #nevertrump Republicans and former Cruz and Kasich supporters or those conservatives who are “soft” or wary of supporting him, by picking a VP candidate who has some conservative credentials.

On the other hand, as Trump is counting on pulling in the #neverhillary Democrats - the blue collar, ant-immigration and pro-US-Jobs, protectionist Sanders supporters, Trump realistically can’t shift too far to the right in his VP pick.

But most of all he needs someone who knows their way around DC and Congress and someone who can help him push through his legislation (unless Trump really intends to by-pass Congress with EO’s) which may sometimes mean brokering and making compromise deals with the Democrats, in other words, someone who can work with both sides of the aisle – Art Of The Deal.

So who do I think it will be?

Going out on a limb here, but I’m thinking it may be Paul Ryan.

:whistle:

Don’t laugh.

Ryan has not yet said unequivocally that he wouldn’t support Trump, but that he was “just not ready to yet”.

At a presser earlier today, Ryan seemed a bit conciliatory and seemed to leave the door open by saying that the party needs to unify in order to defeat Clinton (seemingly Ryan conceding that this is the GOP’s top priority). I’m looking for the quote that I read earlier today but can’t find it, but Trump seemed to back off from criticizing and has soften his tone toward Ryan. 

As noted above, also consider that Trump distanced himself from “free agent” Palin’s criticism of Ryan and openly supporting and endorsing his GOP opponent saying, “She’s a terrific person, but she’s very much a free agent and I didn’t know about this until yesterday,” Mr. Trump said. “I guess she’s been fighting, or she’s endorsing somebody that’s running against Paul Ryan, and I didn’t know about it until yesterday when I read about it.” And of Ryan, Trump said, “I’ve always liked him, He called me not so long ago, I don’t know, a number of weeks ago, but he called me and he was very supportive and very nice and I thought everything was fine, and then I got blindsided, so we’ll see.”

I think tomorrow’s meeting between Trump and Ryan may be very interesting. If Ryan comes out of the meeting and further softens his recalcitrance to endorsing Trump or comes out of the meeting saying he’s now ready to support him, I think Ryan could end up on the VP short list.

On the down side of thinking that Ryan could be Trump’s VP pick is that Ryan was Romney’s running mate in his failed 2012 run. But that could be spun as to Romney’s weakness as a candidate more than Ryan’s weakness as the VP pick. But it still could be a problem for those conservatives who see Ryan as a sellout as House Speaker.  Also on the down side for Ryan is that if Trump is likely to be beaten by Clinton, he’d be a two-time VP loser and I don’t really think he wants to take that risk for a future run himself as POTUS if Trump is likely to lose the in the General.

On the upside, Ryan could calm the fears of some who fear Trump as being too far left or not constitutionally conservative or conservative enough, if he could seemingly pull Trump into some more traditional conservative GOP base positions without too much alienating the middle or the blue collar Democrats, if Ryan can be seen as being “reasonable” and not a hardliner/severely “rightwinger”, if that could pull in enough unconvinced Republicans and Democratic cross over voters and mean a Trump victory with Ryan as VP, it could work.

Although Ryan’s seemingly “free trade” and immigration positions could be a negative for both conservatives, Trump supporters and the blue collar Democrats/#neverhillary/Bernie supporters, if Ryan could get Trump to moderate on some issues like taxes and entitlements and Trump getting Ryan to come around to some of Trump’s positions…..

At this point I don’t see anything that Trump does, even something so way out of the box like picking Ryan as VP as being a negative for Trump’s most ardent supporters. Those ardent Trump supporters IMO will see anything Trump does or says as being “brilliant”, “pragmatic”, “common sense”….

All I can say is that stranger things have happened and this is certainly the very strangest election cycle in all of my 55 years.

Now as to the less serious response – Ivanka Trump for VP! :thud:

But while I’m joking, it’s not a crazy as some of what I’ve seen on another site whose name I will not mention.

I’ve actually seen some posters there proposing Ivanka or Donald Jr. or Eric Trump as Trump’s VP. And if they were not serious, if they were trolling, I would have laughed.

There was even one poster who said that the VP pick should be Donald Jr. and when he becomes POTUS, his sister Ivanka becomes VP, then Eric and so on and so on down through the family line all the way to Baron. And no, it did not seem that the poster was trying to be funny.  **nononono*
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2016, 09:29:02 pm »
Thank you, Sir! An excellent analysis.  :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2016, 09:35:09 pm »
There aren't really many good choices, are they?   Most of the good ones have probably burned their bridges with Trump, who doesn't forget a slight.   The others tend to lack experience (Ernst), come from states that won't be in play in November (Christie, Perry), or simply aren't all that well known to help counter Trump's weaknesses.

Trump's first task is a bit of honest self-evaluation - he's got to realize what his deficiencies are,  and why so many folks are scared that he lacks the temperament to be President.   His second task is to figure out what voters he's trying to attract.  Is he trying to persuade conservatives, or is he more interested in wooing Sanders supporters who share his big government and mercantilist ideas, and who are turned off by social conservatism?

I put myself in Trump's shoes, and keep coming back to the same conclusion - the one who makes the most sense is Jim Webb.  He helps the most in terms of tempering Trump's fear factor - he projects as a steady hand and an experienced counselor, both as to military matters and the marshaling of the federal bureaucracy.  He also has bi-partisan ties in the Senate.   He can truly help Trump govern and would immediately raise Trump's stature without contradicting his essential themes.  Meanwhile, he won't turn off the Sanders supporters (he's liberal on social issues) and he's on record as opposing Clinton within the context of the Democratic party.   Finally, he's from a swing state that Trump absolutely has to win.     

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:45:06 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide