Poll

To best aid his electability, whom should Trump pick as his VP nominee?

Ted Cruz
2 (5.3%)
Marco Rubio
1 (2.6%)
John Kasich
3 (7.9%)
Susana Martinez, governor of NM
6 (15.8%)
Nikki Haley, governor of SC
2 (5.3%)
Scott Walker
4 (10.5%)
Mia Love (R-UT - US House)
1 (2.6%)
Rick Perry
1 (2.6%)
Jim Webb
3 (7.9%)
Someone else (please comment)
15 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: June 17, 2016, 10:23:56 pm

Author Topic: Whom Should Trump Pick As VP?  (Read 25459 times)

A-Lert

Re: Whom Should Trump Pick As VP?
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2016, 07:28:26 pm »
So Trump is a moderate conservative in the tradition of John Boehner, Mitch McConnell, Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney, and...Richard Nixon.

So in other words, he's GOPe.

You have a great imagination. Do you write fiction for a livelihood?

A-Lert

« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2016, 07:54:05 pm »
There is no degree of Conservatism that supports Kelo.  And there is no degree of Conservatism that defends taxpayer funding for Planned Parenthood.

When it comes to Kelo, Trump lines up far to the left of Sanders.

Kelo was decided by the SCOTUS. So it makes little difference how you or I perceive it. Do you believe a POTUS can overturn it?

PP deserves no more funding than the DOE or EPA. Congress sees to it that they are funded. We know who has been in congress and it isn't or wasn't Trump.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2016, 07:57:35 pm »
So all you Trump advocates are ok with his position

-- that mothers can murder their unborn if they so choose?

-- that the government should continue funding Planned Parenthood so THEY can continue helping a mother murdering their unborn kids?

-- for continued support of bloated government beauracies and their continued intrusion into our lives and takeover of states rights?

-- to continue the IRS and maintaining multiple tax rates to facilitate social injustice?

-- to continue registration of personal firearms so the government can come after you?

-- that eminent domain and the government right to take your property is fair and just?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2016, 08:00:09 pm »
Bobby, you missed the latest.

Trump doesn't have positions. He has "suggestions." http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,206425.0/topicseen.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline pogo101

« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2016, 08:02:33 pm »
Kelo was decided by the SCOTUS. So it makes little difference how you or I perceive it. Do you believe a POTUS can overturn it?

PP deserves no more funding than the DOE or EPA. Congress sees to it that they are funded. We know who has been in congress and it isn't or wasn't Trump.

Forgive me, but you're dodging. 

Trump is pro-Kelo.  That matters.  It can be presumed that he will appoint pro-Kelo SCOTUS justices.  That matters.

Trump is pro-abortuary funding with taxpayer dollars.  That matters.  Trump can and presumably will veto any effort to strip such funding by Congress.  That matters.  The President also has great influence over what Congress even attempts to do, and has the bully pulpit to influence the electorate.  That matters.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2016, 08:23:06 pm »
Bobby, you missed the latest.

Trump doesn't have positions. He has "suggestions." http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,206425.0/topicseen.html
Ha Ha! I heard something about that while I was out and about this morning running my errands. Maybe Trump will have a NEW apprentice reality show where he can find new project managers to solve the country's problems.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

A-Lert

« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2016, 09:02:48 pm »
So all you Trump advocates are ok with his position

-- that mothers can murder their unborn if they so choose?

-- that the government should continue funding Planned Parenthood so THEY can continue helping a mother murdering their unborn kids?

-- for continued support of bloated government beauracies and their continued intrusion into our lives and takeover of states rights?

-- to continue the IRS and maintaining multiple tax rates to facilitate social injustice?

-- to continue registration of personal firearms so the government can come after you?

-- that eminent domain and the government right to take your property is fair and just?

The SCOTUS has decided most of what you posted. No POTUS can overturn the decisions. The drama queen act is getting old.

Offline pogo101

« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2016, 09:07:53 pm »
The SCOTUS has decided most of what you posted. No POTUS can overturn the decisions. The drama queen act is getting old.
What's getting old are (1) about half of the SCOTUS justices and (2) your willful refusal to deal with the fact that the President alone nominates their replacements. 

You're trying to have us believe that Trump as President will have no more impact on these policy issues than would Cruz, or Hillary.

Stop the act.

It matters that Trump is way off to the left of the other GOP options.  Sure, he's prrrrrrrrobably (not sure) better than Hillary in terms of the judges he'd nominate. 

But don't sit there and tell us that SCOTUS is some disconnected body on high whose composition the President cannot influence.

A-Lert

« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2016, 09:14:42 pm »
What's getting old are (1) about half of the SCOTUS justices and (2) your willful refusal to deal with the fact that the President alone nominates their replacements. 

You're trying to have us believe that Trump as President will have no more impact on these policy issues than would Cruz, or Hillary.

Stop the act.

It matters that Trump is way off to the left of the other GOP options.  Sure, he's prrrrrrrrobably (not sure) better than Hillary in terms of the judges he'd nominate. 

But don't sit there and tell us that SCOTUS is some disconnected body on high whose composition the President cannot influence.

The POTUS nominates, he doesn't confirm. Trump isn't stupid, like you neverTrumps seem to believe.

Hell, Cruz couldn't influence his peers in congress. Trump actually has a chance of influencing congress and accomplishing improvements in border security, the military and trade.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2016, 09:19:18 pm »
The POTUS nominates, he doesn't confirm. Trump isn't stupid, like you neverTrumps seem to believe.

Anybody who publicly mocks the handicapped and trashes POWs is goddamned stupid!!!
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline pogo101

« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2016, 09:19:29 pm »

Hell, Cruz couldn't influence his peers in congress. Trump actually has a chance of influencing congress and accomplishing improvements in border security, the military and trade.
Wait, wait, a minute ago you said that the President can't do anything about Kelo (which Trump supports), only SCOTUS.
A minute ago you said that the President can't do anything about Roe (which Trump supports, along with taxpayer funding to PP), only SCOTUS.
Now? When I called you on your dodging, you try to flip the script and say, in effect, "Uh, yeah, SCOTUS suddenly matters to me!  But um, Cruz wasn't successful, and Trump will be, because TRUMP!"

You're the inaugural member of my Ignore List.  Not because you're for Trump, but because you are not arguing in good faith.  Please add me to yours.

A-Lert

« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2016, 09:25:58 pm »
Anybody who publicly mocks the handicapped and trashes POWs is goddamned stupid!!!

Your incessant whining is even moreso.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2016, 09:57:08 pm »

Deep breaths, buddy!      :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Wingnut

« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2016, 09:59:12 pm »
Wait, wait, a minute ago you said that the President can't do anything about Kelo (which Trump supports), only SCOTUS.
A minute ago you said that the President can't do anything about Roe (which Trump supports, along with taxpayer funding to PP), only SCOTUS.
Now? When I called you on your dodging, you try to flip the script and say, in effect, "Uh, yeah, SCOTUS suddenly matters to me!  But um, Cruz wasn't successful, and Trump will be, because TRUMP!"

You're the inaugural member of my Ignore List.  Not because you're for Trump, but because you are not arguing in good faith.  Please add me to yours.

Point of fact @pogo101 .  He is the undisputed king of the ignore.  Infact I asked @mystery-ak to remane "Ignore Button" to the "A-Lert Button" in his honor.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:43:24 pm by Wingnut »

A-Lert

« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2016, 10:46:28 pm »

You're confused. The POTUS can NOT overturn SCOTUS decisions.

Cruz was unpopular with his peers and apparently wasn't that popular with the electorate. Cruz comes off as impersonal, staid and a right wing ideologue. Trump has a better chance of being successful because he can be persuasive. All evidence indicates Cruz can't be or isn't persuasive.

A-Lert

« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2016, 10:48:01 pm »
Point of fact @pogo101 .  He is the undisputed king of the ignore.  Infact I asked @mystery-ak to remane "Ignore Button" to the "A-Lert Button" in his honor.

8888crybaby 88finger point

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2016, 12:57:06 am »
SCOTUS decided Obamacare is a tax too, but doesn't make it right. Courts have said Obama acted illegally on immigration too, but didn't stop him.

As for the name calling, I will not respond. The any drama is how liberal you buddy running for President is.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2016, 03:29:13 pm »
You have a great imagination. Do you write fiction for a livelihood?

Do you think retorts in clever little word arrangments actually pass for real thought?

Trump is the incarnation of Nixon. Everybody sees it but the Trumpers.
The Republic is lost.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2016, 03:30:23 pm »
You're confused. The POTUS can NOT overturn SCOTUS decisions.

Cruz was unpopular with his peers and apparently wasn't that popular with the electorate. Cruz comes off as impersonal, staid and a right wing ideologue. Trump has a better chance of being successful because he can be persuasive. All evidence indicates Cruz can't be or isn't persuasive.

And yet he polled better than Trump in the general at every turn.
The Republic is lost.

A-Lert

« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2016, 07:11:35 pm »
And yet he polled better than Trump in the general at every turn.

If polls were 100% accurate we wouldn't need elections would we?