Poll

Would a Cruz endorsement make you rethink your position?

Yes.
1 (2.2%)
Possibly.
2 (4.4%)
I don't know.
0 (0%)
No.
21 (46.7%)
Hell no.
21 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Question for the #NeverTrump people  (Read 9484 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Question for the #NeverTrump people
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 10:44:51 pm »
I knew I wouldn't vote for Trump right from the get-go. A few short hours looking into his record was all I needed for him to be unpalatable. That doesn't change, regardless of any circumstance.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 10:50:11 pm »
I knew I wouldn't vote for Trump right from the get-go. A few short hours looking into his record was all I needed for him to be unpalatable. That doesn't change, regardless of any circumstance.

Absolutely right!  It ain't rocket science!

#NEVERTRUMP
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

geronl

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2016, 11:06:59 pm »

I was familiar enough with Trump to be #NeverTrump from the start.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2016, 11:21:24 pm »
I was familiar enough with Trump to be #NeverTrump from the start.

I'll admit I didn't think much of him to start with - I am pretty immune to getting waltzed down the garden trail - And he looked like a boorish, narcissistic, two-bit conman (and not a very good con at that).

BUT, it is my wont to abstain from relying upon impressions alone, and give every candidate a fair shake by the record. And by the record, I found my impressions to be 100% accurate.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 11:35:32 pm »
Not to mention Cruz was rejected in part, because he was seen as far, far right--well away from mainstream American political opinion.

You think Cruz was rejected for that reason? 

I think that is probably reason number 24 on the list of why he wasn't chosen.   Probably reason number one was that many Republicans saw Donald Trump as a mean SOB who will put up a fight when people mess with him.    I think many people are simply tired of the "Kinder Gentler" P*ssyfied Republican candidates who will smile and act polite towards their Democrat opponents. 

Donald is already out there calling her "Crooked Hillary."    Like it or not,  that juvenile,  grade-school level of taunting and mockery appeals to a lot of modern Americans.   That tactic of constantly referring to Cruz as "Lying Ted"   did quite a lot of damage to Cruz in my opinion.   

Cruz tried to ignore it and "rise above it",   but that's not gonna work on someone who has that New York style of sharp elbows fighting.   

I am a Cruz supporter.   I thought Cruz was a much better choice for the leader of this Nation.   He had some problems,  but at least I was confident where he stood ideologically.    He was outclassed in the arena of Media combat by someone who has had years of practice at it,   but  he almost pulled it out anyway.   

No,  Cruz's problem wasn't that he was too far right,  it was that he couldn't  do those off-the-cuff comebacks in a game of "the dozens."   

Therefore he might harm, not help Trump. Probably better to have someone seen as more close to the political mainstream, with track records of results.

Perry or Walker come to mind.

Sorry to say it,  but at this point Cruz brings nothing to the ticket.   Trump needs someone from Ohio or possibly Florida.   Trump needs someone from a big swing state to help lock down that swing state.   

I'm actually thinking Ben Carson (Florida I think)  would be a major asset.   He would cut more deeply into the Democrat's Black voter base,   and certainly help to nail down Florida,  without which Trump can't very likely win.   

I think Trump was sort of contemplating this during the debates.   That may be one reason why he did that dramatic "wait"  for Ben Carson when the Candidates were walking out,  and Carson missed hearing his name.   

Kaisch in Ohio is boring concentrated,  and weak as water "moderate"  in the eyes of much of the base.   It might help Trump secure Ohio,  but I don't know for sure.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

geronl

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2016, 11:36:43 pm »
I found my impressions to be 100% accurate.

:thumbsup:

Offline washi

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2016, 06:55:09 am »
Ah yes. The "hold your nose and vote" position. That's a tried and true Republican value. We've been practicing it for years. Look at McCain and Romney as an example.

There's a big difference between the GOPe foisting a McCain or Romney upon us, and a populist, albeit ill-informed, groundswell promoting Trump.

I don't know if one is better than the other; Trump is a pig in the poke.

I know what Hillary's goals are, however, and she has to be stopped.
Any organization not explicitly conservative will turn liberal over time.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2016, 07:35:15 am »
Why would an endorsement by Cruz change my mind? The only thing Ted Cruz could do to alter my opinion of the situation in any way is not support the nominee. He gave his word he would. Failing to do that would make me think less of him. There is nothing that could make me think less of the proto-dictator leading the pack.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Roscoe Proudfoot

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2016, 07:37:06 am »
Nope. Cruz is a republican. And right now, the opinions of republicans don't matter very much to me.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2016, 09:26:48 pm »
It would only signal to me that he was forced to honor that pledge from the RNC from last year.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2016, 10:55:42 pm »
I knew he has not my first choice very quickly  I gave him months to earn my general election support.  At this point there is no possible way I will ever vote for him.  We cannot reward his corrupt behavior if we hope to ever have a respectable conservative as our nominee.  If Trump succeeds, expect more and more of the same.  Maybe worse.

And thus the sum of years - voting for the 'lesser evil'

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2016, 11:51:58 pm »
And thus the sum of years - voting for the 'lesser evil'

The culture and makeup of the Nation as well as the number and complexity of important issues is always going to lead to that choice.  It's what we have now going into November and what a significant number of voters would see even if Cruz were the nominee. 
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2016, 11:58:20 pm »
The culture and makeup of the Nation as well as the number and complexity of important issues is always going to lead to that choice.  It's what we have now going into November and what a significant number of voters would see even if Cruz were the nominee.

I don't see it as complex. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

geronl

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2016, 12:13:07 am »
  It's what we have now going into November...

Who is this "we"... because it ain't me. I am an independent conservative. The Republican Party literally means nothing to me. Nothing. They have chosen an extremely bad candidate. A candidate so revolting and completely unacceptable in every regard that there is no way on God's green Earth I would vote for him. Ever. It doesn't not matter who endorses him it does not change who and what he is and has been.

geronl

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2016, 12:14:09 am »

So back the guy who bashed Scalia over affirmative action a few months ago. No.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2016, 01:44:12 pm »
I don't see it as complex. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Well, some would see foreign policy, immigration reform, tax reform, the growth of entitlements, state/federal relationships, the 14th Amendment, powers under the Patriot Act, race relations, the place of religion in business, health care, and a host of other issues as complex in their resolution especially given the varied and opposed interests at stake. 

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2016, 01:58:07 pm »
Who is this "we"... because it ain't me. I am an independent conservative. The Republican Party literally means nothing to me. Nothing. They have chosen an extremely bad candidate. A candidate so revolting and completely unacceptable in every regard that there is no way on God's green Earth I would vote for him. Ever. It doesn't not matter who endorses him it does not change who and what he is and has been.

"We" as in the American voter.  One of two candidates will win in November, and whoever votes for either will be voting for the lesser of two evils, hoping that one will win.  Others will vote for lesser party candidates either to make themselves feel better or to send some kind of message such as that sent by Perot.  Just from this forum alone, some will be voting for the Libertarian candidate, some for the Constitution Party guy, a few Hillary, a few write-ins.  An apparent minority here will vote for Trump, some because they really believe he is a good candidate, others who believe he is the pragmatic choice, even if they see him as a faulty candidate.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2016, 05:51:32 pm »
Well, some would see foreign policy, immigration reform, tax reform, the growth of entitlements, state/federal relationships, the 14th Amendment, powers under the Patriot Act, race relations, the place of religion in business, health care, and a host of other issues as complex in their resolution especially given the varied and opposed interests at stake.

Whatever... It always boils down to right and wrong, or the 'sweet spot' in a true compromise. Justifying otherwise is what becomes complex.

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2016, 06:09:51 pm »
A Cruz endorsement would make me rethink my support for Cruz.  After all of the incredibly ugly and untrue stuff, DT and his minions have thrown at Cruz, Cruz would have to be some kind of masochist to turn around and support DT.  Much as it has for Christie, Carson and Perry.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2016, 06:40:48 pm »
Whatever... It always boils down to right and wrong, or the 'sweet spot' in a true compromise. Justifying otherwise is what becomes complex.

There will be many compromises to bring resolution to those issues.  They are all complex with very different roads to resolution.  Right and wrong are actually easy to say, not so easy to legislate.  Is there a right and wrong w/r to tax policy?  How about if you throw in spending, then add deficits, debt and jobs to the mix? There have been many attempts at resolving the overall immigration reform issues.  If you have simple right and wrong solutions to these and many other issues, let me know.  I'll write you in when I vote in November.   ^-^

Silver Pines

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2016, 11:47:15 pm »
A Cruz endorsement would make me rethink my support for Cruz.  After all of the incredibly ugly and untrue stuff, DT and his minions have thrown at Cruz, Cruz would have to be some kind of masochist to turn around and support DT.  Much as it has for Christie, Carson and Perry.

I agree with that.

Offline M1078

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2016, 02:46:25 pm »
The only way I could want to vote for Trump even less would be if he picked Perry as his running mate.  Gov Good Hair is just another former democrat lying his way to whatever elected position he thinks he can get.  He called Trump "a cancer on the Republican party that needs to be excised" and now wants to be his VP?  What a hypocrite.

As far as Ted goes, I would think less of him if he endorses Trump.

I will never vote Trump, never vote Clinton, and never vote Bush for the rest of my life.  The biggest challenge for Texans is to get George P. Bush the hell out of our state.
Former FR macnjac