Author Topic: Just realised a big reason I won't miss Free Republic  (Read 9115 times)

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Just realised a big reason I won't miss Free Republic
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 01:24:40 pm »
Several years ago in Dallas commissioner John Wiley Price came unglued when another commissioner used the term "Black Hole" in context to the discussion at hand.   John Wiley got all puffed up and went off saying Black Hole is racest and things such as:
"So if it's 'angel food cake,' it's white. If it's 'devil's food cake,' it's black. If you're the 'black sheep of the family,' then you gotta be bad, you know. 'White sheep,' you're okay. You know?" Price said.

Price said people should watch their words when it comes to stereotypes.

"I think people should always be careful. You know, I'm okay if I'm 'bartering' with you. ... But if I try to 'Jew you down,' Oooooh. Is that racist? I thought it meant the same thing? No, maybe it doesn't."

Dumbbass JWP also charged that the nickname for Frisco High School , the Coons, was a racist name despite the mascot being dressed up in a raccoon costume. The school board resisted changing the name, but finally officially made it the Raccoons, but I know local folks still call them the 'Coons. JWP still rants occasionally about them when he needs a distraction.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:25:11 pm by Joe Wooten »

Offline Relic

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 05:23:36 pm »
I haven't seen the ugliness here yet, I've seen adults having discourse with other adults. I hope it stays that way here, and I am grateful for @rodamala and @Silver Pines telling me about this place. Thank you.

You haven't looked. Today there is a high volume thread that does nothing but make fun of the appearance of Trump supporters.

The overwhelming majority of new posters are FR refugees. They are emotionally wounded, (yes, wounded over a stupid internet forum), and strongly anti-Trump, (which caused their migration). I'm sad to see what's happening to TBR, but I was looking for somewhere to post when I came here.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 05:42:02 pm »
You haven't looked. Today there is a high volume thread that does nothing but make fun of the appearance of Trump supporters.

The overwhelming majority of new posters are FR refugees. They are emotionally wounded, (yes, wounded over a stupid internet forum), and strongly anti-Trump, (which caused their migration). I'm sad to see what's happening to TBR, but I was looking for somewhere to post when I came here.

@Relic, I'm sorry you feel that way. 

Where is this thread?  Being a somewhat of a contrarian, I would like to comment on that type of behavior.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 05:49:59 pm »
Unfortunately, what you just described is exactly what happened here at GOP briefing room.

Opinions here were once varied and exchanged respectfully and with good cheer toward others.

But once Donald Trump entered the race, any support or even mention of him, brought out hordes of posters hurling non-stop insults toward Trump and -- here's the bad part -- and personally against his supporters.

Many Trump supporters began noticing that dissimilar civility rules applied to them. Many felt hounded and began leaving, including myself.

As I look around these pages now, I see very little balance. There are just a handful of Trump supporters left. This has become an anti-Trump website, with most of the recent explosive growth coming from free republic, where the same thing happened only in reverse, with Cruz supporters feeling put upon.

So, if that's what you're looking for in political discussion -- an echo chamber. Then, welcome to TBR!
I've been aligned with the Republican Party for the last twenty years. Bill Clinton was the final straw in my leaving the Dem Party of which I had been aligned with for about thirty years. I couldn't in good conscience back a candidate with the lack of morals as Clinton. I was close to leaving anyway....his perverted actions helped me jump.
I'm 66 years old and have following prez races since 1960. I've NEVER!!! heard a candidate from any party call other candidates from his own party the names Trump has called his rivals. I've never heard any candidate impugn the character or infer conspiracies as Trump as done.
To me this speaks volumes about the lack of character of Trump.
I left the Dem Party because I couldn't take a president with the lack of character like Bill Clinton. Now I'm supposed to get behind a candidate who I believe is just as low? I don't think so. If Trump has people calling him bad names, it's probably because he started it and he deserves whatever he's called.

Offline Relic

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 06:37:30 pm »
@Relic, I'm sorry you feel that way. 

Where is this thread?  Being a somewhat of a contrarian, I would like to comment on that type of behavior.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,207181.0.html

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2016, 07:01:55 pm »
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,207181.0.html

Thanks, Relic. 

I had not read that thread, probably because I don't care for that type of thing.  The issue seems to be one of "worshipful crowds" more so than how they look.  Though the guy in the striped shorts and suit jacket has made an interesting sartorial choice.

Looks like you are holding your own, so I'm not sure what your complaint is other than "they say bad things about our side, so I go on and say bad things about their side".

Either way, I'm not going to play and will stay off of that thread.

Offline flowers

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2016, 07:02:44 pm »

:patriot:

Bill Cipher

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2016, 02:36:33 pm »
Funny how those who worship a vulgar boor complain that the conversation here isn't up to snuff for High Tea with the queen. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2016, 07:45:08 pm »
Used to be a time that if one was wrong or incorrect, more insightful/knowledgeable folks would correct you.

I learned some time ago that TOS now has devolved into such a soundbite type site that little, if any edification/education is going on.

Aviation related articles are a case in point in my case.  Anymore, I don't dare post anything factual that is related to military aviation that is contrary to public OPINION.  Folks have their minds made up and aren't interested in learning.

I went there because there were more informed, smarter and educated people than me.  That I could learn from them and pay it forward in my own small sphere of influence.

Now?  Not so much.

Many of those smart folks have either left or gone underground...sigh, such a waste.

Even though I'm just a lowly unwashed Grunt...I love all things aviation....just sayin  :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 07:45:39 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2016, 09:01:15 pm »
Even though I'm just a lowly unwashed Grunt...I love all things aviation....just sayin  :laugh:
@txradioguy

Well, it's one thing to be an enthusiast and interested in learning and discussing.   :beer:

It's quite another to be woefully ignorant and pretend to be an expert posting only opinion and trying to pass it off as fact.   :chairbang:

I'm not an expert on all things aviation, but I know what I know...vs. not knowing what I don't know... :patriot:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2016, 11:41:40 am »
@txradioguy

Well, it's one thing to be an enthusiast and interested in learning and discussing.   :beer:

It's quite another to be woefully ignorant and pretend to be an expert posting only opinion and trying to pass it off as fact.   :chairbang:

I'm not an expert on all things aviation, but I know what I know...vs. not knowing what I don't know... :patriot:

Count me in the "enthusiast interested in learning" category.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2016, 01:14:03 am »
Several years ago in Dallas commissioner John Wiley Price came unglued when another commissioner used the term "Black Hole" in context to the discussion at hand.   John Wiley got all puffed up and went off saying Black Hole is racest and things such as:
"So if it's 'angel food cake,' it's white. If it's 'devil's food cake,' it's black. If you're the 'black sheep of the family,' then you gotta be bad, you know. 'White sheep,' you're okay. You know?" Price said.

Price said people should watch their words when it comes to stereotypes.

"I think people should always be careful. You know, I'm okay if I'm 'bartering' with you. ... But if I try to 'Jew you down,' Oooooh. Is that racist? I thought it meant the same thing? No, maybe it doesn't."

I POSTED A MESSAGE that :consisted of a BANNER...an Image with a message!!   It was deleted...reason given..CLICK BAIT

given that the image was not LINKED....to ANYTHING....its being adjudicated  as CLICK BAIT...was just plain....well STUPID!!

I know very well that not everyone ON are republic  was a moron but seemingly mot of those with the power tocedsore  were not particularly BRIGHT.

Yes it was a banner bearing the likeness Of his Gasbagness!!  click bait it wast!! 

may the Donny devotees soon learn what BUYER'S REMORSE IS the HARD WAY!!!

Have Indentified as a Male since birth!

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2016, 02:02:55 pm »
This has become an anti-Trump website, with most of the recent explosive growth coming from free republic, where the same thing happened only in reverse, with Cruz supporters feeling put upon.

I would correct the above to say that this is a website that discusses both the good and the bad of Donald Trump.

Criticizing someone does not necessarily mean one is anti-that person.

The problem with FreeRepublic is the mods have equated critiques of Trump with being anti-Trump. Nonsense.

We should all be able to present what he believe is wrong ( or right ) with him.

You or any other person who support him should be welcome to clarify or rebut us if you think we are wrong or misguided in our thinking.

The worst thing that could happen to this site for it to devolve into a cheering section for only one candidate to the exclusion of others.

I am a Ted Cruz supporter but I welcome any critique of my preferred candidate.

We should not "worship" ( for want of a better word ) or be invested any single human being.

People are imperfect and will always be bound to disappoint us.

The price of liberty is always ETERNAL VIGILANCE <--- be it Trump or Cruz or whoever.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 02:31:41 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2016, 07:33:04 pm »
The price of liberty is always ETERNAL VIGILANCE <--- be it Trump or Cruz or whoever.

:patriot: Well said!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2016, 07:35:05 pm »
Is he running for President again this year?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2016, 07:49:58 pm »

So, if that's what you're looking for in political discussion -- an echo chamber. Then, welcome to TBR!

I don't see that at all.  You do not risk being banned or muted for expressing support for your candidate here. 

We've had raging and intense arguments both good and bad raging over the course the country is taking as embodied by the candidates.  The ardent Trump supporters here have been a welcome foil, and even though anti-Trump refugees from FR outnumbers the natives here, this board is hardly an echo chamber.

I wouldn't trade the Antagonists for Trump here for anything and no one has demanded them to be banned or to leave this board.

Iron sharpens iron according to scripture - and lots of heat is generated when doing so. 
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2016, 11:41:34 pm »
I asked a Trump supporter if she was wearing a "brown shirt" in a post, comparing 1930's Germany to America today in terms of the nationalism that Trump is exploiting. Turns out she was black (says so in her screen name). Apparently she was ignorant of history and took my post as racist. I attempted to set the record straight but my defense was deleted by the moderators. I know how that city councilman that used the word "niggardly" feels. It then became a feeding frenzy and I am now the worst person in the world.

"Black Female Army Captain"  is apparently *NOT*  black.   Somewhere on this website in the Free Republic welcome thread they posted links to websites where she has been outed.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2016, 12:19:35 am »

"Black Female Army Captain"  is apparently *NOT*  black.   Somewhere on this website in the Free Republic welcome thread they posted links to websites where she has been outed.
@gorush @DiogenesLamp

She's "black" in a Rachel Donezal kind of way... :smokin:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.