Author Topic: Kirk Cameron Urges All Wives To be Submissive To Their Husbands  (Read 4952 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: Kirk Cameron Urges All Wives To be Submissive To Their Husbands
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 09:58:43 pm »
I think Kirk is wrong.  I didn't mock him or ridicule him.  I think anyone who takes every word of Scripture literally is wrong in reading it that way.

You certainly have plenty of company, so with all due respect: Just curious, how do you read your constitution? :pondering:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 10:57:30 pm »
I think Kirk is wrong.  I didn't mock him or ridicule him.  I think anyone who takes every word of Scripture literally is wrong in reading it that way.

I certainly understood some of the posts to be intended to ridicule believers but perhaps I misunderstood.

If the Bible isn't accurate and isn't intended to be taken as true then what parts aren't true?  Who gets to decide?  I MO either it's true or the whole thing is fiction.

For me, I've felt Gods touch in my heart.   I believe the word of God is true but admit to not understanding all of it.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 03:18:52 am »
I agree with sink, let's have some respect for each other's faith here, and how we choose to practice it, and even those not believing in God at all. You all that are newbies from TOS may be still use to how religious discussions went on that forum, which always turned ugly.  We have done a great job avoiding doing the same on TBR. Let's not ruin it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 06:11:15 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Mod1

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 12:23:30 pm »
You interpret the Word literally.  I don't. That's why even a discussion of Scripture is pointless.  And we don't have a religion forum here for that very reason.
You're right, we don't have a religion forum, because the arguments that would result are not helpful to the forum.
This thread is going to be locked before it gets out of hand, subject to review by the forum owners.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 12:27:33 pm by Mod1 »

Offline Mod2

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2016, 12:37:18 pm »
My two cents, posted publicly:

It's a legit article to be posted and discussed.

Discussion of this sort of article is inevitably going to involve people revealing their specific beliefs.

The devil is in the details. That's why there are so many interpretations of The Word.

No one likes to think they are wrong.

Never heard of the guy and rather glad I haven't.

REALLY glad we don't have a religion forum.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2016, 03:27:10 pm »
Unlocked....for now!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2016, 05:43:13 pm »
Unlocked....for now!

Could you please clarify the sites stance on religion.  I certainly understand this can be a sensitive issue.   I also believe it can be handled by responsible adults.   I created an account here 4 years ago but only recently started posting.   From this thread and a couple others I've kinda picked up a anti-religion vibe. 

Offline newgeezer

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2016, 06:46:23 pm »
Well, well, well. Such an entertaining thread this is.

When I first saw the subject, although I know for a fact the advice is sound, it might be more effective coming from his wife.

That's only because it was a HUGE blessing to our marriage about 20 years ago when my wife took the advice of an older, godly woman and read the book, "The Excellent Wife: A Biblical Perspective" by Martha Peace (http://smile.amazon.com/dp/1885904088).

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Maranatha!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2016, 06:55:54 pm »
RAT - that post is damn nigh perfection. Thank you.  :beer:

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2016, 07:05:31 pm »
Could you please clarify the sites stance on religion.  I certainly understand this can be a sensitive issue.   I also believe it can be handled by responsible adults.   I created an account here 4 years ago but only recently started posting.   From this thread and a couple others I've kinda picked up a anti-religion vibe.

My county GOP has Mormons, Catholics, Protestants, and agnostics in it. Particularly when the Mormons came in during Romney's first campaign there was a great deal of sniping.

Now not so much. Why? Because politically, we all realized the leftists are after all of us, regardless. We can debate theology all day, but politically we are all in the same boat and support the same issues. We lock arms and go forward as a group, protecting each others backs.
The Republic is lost.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2016, 07:07:34 pm »
  From this thread and a couple others I've kinda picked up a anti-religion vibe.
Sorry to read this. I've been here since the forum's inception and never felt that. I agree that we don't need a religion forum, though. We're here to discuss politics, which is divisive and antagonizing enough.

I appreciate RAT Patrol's perspective - thanks for that post, RAT! This always has been a forum for all Republicans, all conservatives. We expect disagreement and the owners always said this is not to be an echo chamber. That's what distinguishes GBR from other sites, especially the one so many of us fled. I just hope that we can land on that common ground when the time comes.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2016, 07:07:45 pm »
RAT Patrol....excellent post...you put into words what we here at TBR espouse..thank you
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2016, 07:17:12 pm »
I agree with sink, let's have some respect for each other's faith here, and how we choose to practice it, and even those not believing in God at all. You all that are newbies from TOS may be still use to how religious discussions went on that forum, which always turned ugly.  We have done a great job avoiding doing the same on TBR. Let's not ruin it.
I'll go further. We have essentially avoided explicit religion entirely on this forum. And it has worked.

And to drag in the FR religious arguments, has absolutely no upside, and tremendous downside.

If you just arrived from FR and that is your forte, please find somewhere else to do it.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2016, 07:46:46 pm »
I'm going to add a different twist to this discussion.....

My husband and I have been incredibly happily married for nearly 40 years.  We are both Bible-believing Christians who believe in the inerrancy of Scripture (different from 'literalism' which doesn't account for cultural and literary dimensions).  We believe that the Scripture is the inspired word of God.

That said, we have had, from the beginning, a mutually respectful, egalitarian marriage, in which we both submit first to God, and then to each other (read the verse before the "submit to your husband" verse in Ephesians 5).  We believe that we live, both as individuals, and as a couple, not under the curse, but under Grace.  We also believe that God has one will for both of us, and if we are both seeking His will, there is no need for a 'boss.'

We have a peaceful, orderly marriage with very little conflict, and none of consequence, in which we are equals.  There has never been an important decision in 40 years on which we didn't agree.  And there is no sin in our seeing each other as equals.

I think there is a lot of damage done by oversimplifying the 'rules' and trying to get every individual and couple squeezed into the same mold.

Perhaps a bit more Grace is called for in discussions on these matters.....   ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2016, 07:53:02 pm »
I'll go further. We have essentially avoided explicit religion entirely on this forum. And it has worked.

And to drag in the FR religious arguments, has absolutely no upside, and tremendous downside.

If you just arrived from FR and that is your forte, please find somewhere else to do it.

@mystery-ak  @mod-2   I didn't think I was creating an argument but I really don't need to be in a place that is this hostile to Christians.   Please remove my account.  Have a Blessed Day

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2016, 08:00:54 pm »

Good thing you aren't on the welcoming committee....lighten up and don't be so rude.
Support the USO

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2016, 08:07:40 pm »

I don't think it is anti religion but the site owners don't want to bring religion into threads. After this thread I can see why.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2016, 08:14:34 pm »
It was locked...I am locking it again.. :shrug:
Support the USO