Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 422524 times)

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #1950 on: September 10, 2018, 04:35:46 am »

Way to cool, but that is why I like the Expanse.. Space Travel is a bitch and Space will eat you alive if you are not prepared.

I prefer SciFi that is set somewhere outside our grasp, but w/in our vision.  Space elevators, but no hyperspace.  Unfortunately, this is rather rare.

Most SF tends to go so far ahead as to eliminate all those pesky details, like atmosphere and radiation and acceleration and such.  I suppose there's a use for that if there's a really good underlying story to tell.

I just realized that anything in between is extremely rare.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1951 on: September 10, 2018, 05:07:01 am »
Not free, but perhaps cheap in a relative sense.

Imagine a cube shaped craft (for ease of math).  The surface area of the hull (and corresponding increase in mass, for the most part) grows as the square, while the volume grows as the cube.  If you double the size of the hull in each dimension, the hull mass grows by 4x, while the volume grows by 8x.
See the source image

You have gravitational issues to overcome, plus Einstein's time relativity. There are lots of things out there that we are not prepared for. I am not sure that having more 'personal space' would be the first thing on the list.

Speaking of Star Trek TNG, why wouldn't anyone go to the holodeck and just make out with all the women on the ship. Come on man, Troy and the Doctor, those women would have been doing horrible things for me. Without ever even knowing it. Just some woman I saw in the passageway could be my new girlfriend for days without even knowing it.

I know Barkley did something like that in one of the episodes, but still, that's all I would ever do. Every female I have ever thought about in my life would be in there at one time or another.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

« Reply #1952 on: September 10, 2018, 07:09:33 am »
That's funny.  The book I'm currently listening to (Century Rain) involves two groups of future(?) humans, who take opposing views on the use of the "holodeck".
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #1953 on: September 12, 2018, 12:56:18 am »
I'm starting Dark Matter. So far, kind of blah. Does it get better?

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1954 on: September 12, 2018, 01:21:14 am »

It's Ok.. I saw all four season, I might give Syfy Channel a pass for cancelling the show. I do follow the show creator on Twitter.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1955 on: September 12, 2018, 01:22:22 am »
I prefer SciFi that is set somewhere outside our grasp, but w/in our vision.  Space elevators, but no hyperspace.  Unfortunately, this is rather rare.

Most SF tends to go so far ahead as to eliminate all those pesky details, like atmosphere and radiation and acceleration and such.  I suppose there's a use for that if there's a really good underlying story to tell.

I just realized that anything in between is extremely rare.

That show is The Expanse. If you have Amazon Prime, the first two seasons is on there.

Offline verga

« Reply #1956 on: September 12, 2018, 01:54:17 am »

That show is The Expanse. If you have Amazon Prime, the first two seasons is on there.
I watched the first 4-5 episodes and just could not get into it. Quite a few here raved about how good it was and I just could not see the attraction, does it get better?
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1957 on: September 12, 2018, 02:01:14 am »
I watched the first 4-5 episodes and just could not get into it. Quite a few here raved about how good it was and I just could not see the attraction, does it get better?

Yes it does..

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1958 on: September 12, 2018, 02:06:28 am »

I really liked Dark Matter. 

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1959 on: September 12, 2018, 09:41:20 pm »
Henry Cavill Out as Superman Amid Warner Bros.' DC Universe Shake-Up

The DC cinematic universe appears to be losing its Man of Steel.

Henry Cavill, who has played Superman in three films, is parting ways with Warner Bros., sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. The British actor, who first donned the blue suit for 2013's Man of Steel, and then starred in 2016's Batman v. Superman and last year's Justice League, is said to be hanging up the red cape.

Warners had been trying to enlist Cavill, who most recently co-starred in Mission: Impossible — Fallout, for a Superman cameo in Shazam!, which stars Zachary Levi and will bow April 5. But contract talks between Cavill's WME reps and Warners broke down, and the door is now closing on other potential Superman appearances.

Excerpted, more at link: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/henry-cavill-as-superman-warner-bros-dc-universe-shake-up-1142306
Let it burn.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1960 on: September 13, 2018, 01:22:39 am »

I liked it myself. Wish they would have given it another season to wrap it up.
The Republic is lost.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1961 on: September 14, 2018, 10:11:42 pm »
If you have Hulu, checkout the The First.. Yes I know Sean Penn is in it, but it is good.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1962 on: September 14, 2018, 10:12:54 pm »
I liked it myself. Wish they would have given it another season to wrap it up.

What do you expect from the 'SyFy Channel' .

Offline kevindavis007

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #1964 on: September 15, 2018, 05:11:08 pm »
See the source image

Speaking of Star Trek TNG, why wouldn't anyone go to the holodeck and just make out with all the women on the ship. Come on man, Troy and the Doctor, those women would have been doing horrible things for me. Without ever even knowing it. Just some woman I saw in the passageway could be my new girlfriend for days without even knowing it.

I know Barkley did something like that in one of the episodes, but still, that's all I would ever do. Every female I have ever thought about in my life would be in there at one time or another.

Because to BE in Rottenbury's universe you have to be a good little Prog, and therefore far more moral than we primitive capitalists.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1965 on: September 16, 2018, 01:52:22 am »

Because to BE in Rottenbury's universe you have to be a good little Prog, and therefore far more moral than we primitive capitalists.

But I remember an epsisode of DS9 where Quark told the truth to Sisko about acting smug.

« Reply #1966 on: September 19, 2018, 04:43:27 am »
Salvation started out looking like yet another super-smart-kid/rich-maverick show, and at times it got a little over the top.  But it was watchable.  Barely.

This week it got a lot better.  I'm actually looking forward to what comes next.

Probably not worth paying to watch, but if you find it free it's probably good for hot day binge while you stay inside just in case the grass actually does decide to mow itself.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1967 on: September 21, 2018, 12:23:19 am »
I have been binge-watching "Travelers" lately,and the second season is even better than the first. The only thing I am afraid of is it is turning into a "director show". They really need to expand their story line base if they want to keep going.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1968 on: September 23, 2018, 08:14:19 pm »
I'm watching Lexx. Yo way yo. oom ba ha ray, yo way rah oom rannin gee.
It was difficult to make it through the first couple of seasons on pure nonsequitur nonsense but Season 3 is kind of good. I finally got involved in the series. It is still goofy. But at least now they have added the basic elements of interest in a show. Will they destroy the water planet or the fire planet, or will Lexx crash?
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Answer (Fredric Brown, 1954)
« Reply #1969 on: September 24, 2018, 10:52:04 pm »
Answer, by Fredric Brown, is a science fiction short story first published in 1954. Since the complete text appears on the Internet in several places, I'm assuming that it's in the public domain.

Dwan Ev ceremoniously soldered the final connection with gold. The eyes of a dozen television cameras watched him and the subether bore throughout the universe a dozen pictures of what he was doing.

He straightened and nodded to Dwar Reyn, then moved to a position beside the switch that would complete the contact when he threw it. The switch  that would connect, all at once, all of the monster computing machines of all the populated planets in the universe -- ninety-six billion   planets -- into the supercircuit that would connect them all into one supercalculator, one cybernetics machine that would combine all the knowledge of all the galaxies.

Dwar Reyn spoke briefly to the watching and listening trillions. Then after a moment's silence he said, "Now, Dwar Ev."

Dwar Ev threw the switch. There was a mighty hum, the surge of power from ninety-six billion planets. Lights flashed and quieted along the miles-long panel.

Dwar Ev stepped back and drew a deep breath. "The honor of asking the first question is yours,  Dwar Reyn."

"Thank you," said Dwar Reyn. "It shall be a question which no single cybernetics machine has been able to answer."

He turned to face the machine. "Is there a God?"

The mighty voice answered without hesitation, without the clicking of a single relay.

"Yes, now there is a God."

Sudden fear flashed on the face of Dwar Ev. He leaped to grab the switch.

A bolt of lightning from the cloudless sky struck him down and fused the switch shut.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 11:20:06 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #1970 on: September 25, 2018, 01:19:08 pm »
Fortunately I'm clever enough to only run Windows, so there's no possibility whatsoever of my computer exhibiting anything remotely resembling intelligent behavior...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1971 on: September 26, 2018, 10:58:08 pm »
A combination music video / short film with a SF theme, "Shelter". Music by Porter Robinson and Madeon, story by Porter Robinson, animation by A-1 Pictures & Crunchyroll.

! No longer available

What I want to know is... who sent her the email at the end?
Let it burn.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1972 on: October 07, 2018, 11:04:06 am »
Well, I just finished watching season 3 of The Man in the High Castle.

I'm not going to say anything, but it is very haunting..

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #1973 on: October 20, 2018, 05:28:57 pm »
I just finished Daredevil season 3 on Netflix.  Great story, great pacing, great action.  If you liked the first 2 season you'll enjoy the third.  However going back to Arrowverse TV shows will be a let down

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1974 on: October 26, 2018, 01:59:46 am »

Star Trek animated comedy series ordered from Rick and Morty writer

Entertainment Weekly
JAMES HIBBERD
October 25, 2018

The first-ever official Star Trek comedy series has been ordered.

CBS All Access has greenlit an animated series from Emmy-winner Mike McMahan, a writer on Adult Swim’s sensation Rick and MortyThe half-hour series is titled Star Trek: Lower Decks and will tackle the Federation from a comedic perspective, focusing “on the support crew serving on one of Starfleet’s least important ships.” 

“Mike won our hearts with his first sentence: ‘I want to do a show about the people who put the yellow cartridge in the food replicator so a banana can come out the other end,'” said executive producer Alex Kurtzman. “[McMahan’s] cat’s name is Riker. His son’s name is Sagan. The man is committed. He’s brilliantly funny and knows every inch of every Trek episode, and that’s his secret sauce: he writes with the pure, joyful heart of a true fan. As we broaden the world of Trek to fans of all ages, we’re so excited to include Mike’s extraordinary voice.”

(more)
https://ew.com/tv/2018/10/25/star-trek-animated-comedy/