Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 421493 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #1875 on: July 03, 2018, 09:53:26 pm »
FYI: No Twilight Zone Marathon on the "SyFy" Channel..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline kevindavis007

Offline kevindavis007

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #1878 on: July 04, 2018, 03:40:54 am »
Decidedly not a run of the mill SciFi series

! No longer available
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #1879 on: July 04, 2018, 06:36:37 am »
FYI: No Twilight Zone Marathon on the "SyFy" Channel..

On the what?

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1881 on: July 15, 2018, 03:34:48 am »
Just watched "How it Ends" on Netflix, and thought it was pretty good. If you're looking for a kind of spooky, low-budget but well-written TEOTWAWKI movie, give it a try. 
:thumbsup:
Let it burn.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #1882 on: July 15, 2018, 03:58:27 am »
Just watched "How it Ends" on Netflix, and thought it was pretty good. If you're looking for a kind of spooky, low-budget but well-written TEOTWAWKI movie, give it a try. 
:thumbsup:

Ditto. Watched it last night. It was good. Of course, there are very few things Forrest Whitaker is in that aren't good (Battlefield Earth being the glaring exception).

Offline kevindavis007

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #1884 on: July 21, 2018, 05:19:27 am »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dikm6n-WsAAXsL-.jpg
James Gunn Fired From ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Franchise Over Offensive Tweets

« Reply #1885 on: July 21, 2018, 05:30:21 am »
https://babylonbee.com/news/disney-fires-thanos-after-uncovering-controversial-statements/

Disney Fires Thanos After Uncovering Controversial Statements

BURBANK, CA—Immediately upon uncovering controversial statements made by the Mad Titan, Disney fired genocidal maniac Thanos, pulling the intergalactic aggressor from all future films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The Marvel villain reportedly made statements in support of killing billions of people amidst deranged, deluded rants about fate, destiny, and balance. One old comment he posted on his Twitter account read, “I know what it’s like to lose. To feel so desperately that you’re right, yet to fail nonetheless. It’s frightening, turns the legs to jelly. I ask you to what end? Dread it. Run from it. Destiny arrives all the same.”

Another haunting, maniacal rant on an internet message board read, “With all the six stones, I could simply snap my fingers, and they would all cease to exist. I call that… mercy…  [I’ll] finally rest, and watch the sunrise on an ungrateful universe. The hardest choices require the strongest wills.”

“We know that people grow and change, but frankly we’re a little troubled by his comments about slaughtering half the life in the universe,” a Disney rep said. “Considering his controversial views on population control, the Walt Disney Company cannot continue to support Thanos in his current role.”

“We hope that he gets the help he needs to move forward with his career and his life.”

The company is reportedly working on replacing the villain with a “much safer choice,” Sofia the First.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1886 on: July 21, 2018, 02:01:36 pm »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dikm6n-WsAAXsL-.jpg
James Gunn Fired From ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Franchise Over Offensive Tweets

@Once-Ler

He was fired for promoting NAMBLA.

Last time I heard anything on the subject of grown men having sex with male children,it was still illegal.  Gunn thinks it SHOULD be legal and sees nothing wrong with it.

If YOU were responsible for putting on a very expensive show that has a payroll of hundreds of workers,would YOU want someone like that as your spokesman?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1887 on: July 23, 2018, 12:08:42 pm »
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 12:09:36 pm by kevindavis »

Offline kevindavis007

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1889 on: July 23, 2018, 11:46:55 pm »
The Man in the High Castle returns October 5th.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1890 on: July 27, 2018, 06:45:39 pm »
Disney And Fox Shareholders Give Historic Merger Votes Of Approval

At special meetings held simultaneously in New York this morning, Disney and 21st Century Fox shareholders overwhelmingly approved the merger first proposed last December.

In a press release confirming the vote, the companies expressed continued optimism about joining forces. The deal will bring Disney the film and TV studio assets, plus cable networks like FX and National Geographic and a 30% stake in Hulu.

excerpted, for the full story see https://deadline.com/2018/07/disney-fox-shareholders-give-historic-merger-vote-of-approval-1202434925/

Among other things, this means that Disney will now have the film rights to both the X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises, and will be free to integrate them into the Marvel Cinematic Universe if they want to.
 :2popcorn:
Let it burn.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1891 on: July 29, 2018, 03:44:15 am »
Killjoys is back on SyFy.  New Season.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1892 on: August 02, 2018, 11:34:06 pm »
Been watching Star Trek Voyager on Amazon Prime lately, which is my least favorite of all the franchise. Had to adjust to the Katharine Hepburn impersonator Janeway. The whispering Captain. 

Very annoying. In so many scenes she starts out speaking normally, and then slowly descends into a softer, and softer, and softer, whisper. By the end of the dialog she has sunk into such a soft whisper it is almost inaudible. She does this very often. I think, she thinks, that it gives her an appearance of 'seriousness' or something. I don't know. To me, it was just annoying. Kept yelling at the TV, "Speak Up! Dammit!"

One of the most predictable parts of the show was every time they picked up a stranger(s) to 'help' him/them, Voyager would always wind up in trouble because of it. It was routine. They help somebody, and then wind up either getting screwed over by the guy they helped, or they wound up in the middle of some fight about something. This plot theme was so consistent in so many of the shows, it became predictably boring. You would think they would catch on after a while. But they never do.

Voyager has an unlimited supply of shuttles. They lose a shuttle every second show but they always have another one. They must have a shuttle manufacturing shop somewhere on the ship which does nothing but make shuttles 24/7.

They also do the Soap Opera entrance. When I had to stay out of school as a kid, my mother always had the soap operas on. I noticed then, at 10 years old, that when someone wanted to start a conversation they would walk up to someone and say a big loud, "'Well...!' or 'So...!' I see you and Tadd are spending a lot of time together." Voyager uses this same opening whenever they go into soap opera mode. Paris uses this a lot when he wants to screw with Kim about something personal.

But if you want to play a drinking game with the show, take a drink every time one of the characters says, "I'm afraid..."
I'm afraid not.
I'm afraid so.
I'm afraid I can't do that.
I'm afraid I will be forced to do just that.
I'm afraid he had that coming to him.
I'm afraid...yes
I'm afraid...no
I'm afraid...up
I'm afraid...down

These guys spend most of each show 'afraid' of this or that. To which I respond with, "Don't be afraid. It will be alright."

These annoyances aside, it was pretty good series. Lot's of shoot um' up battles. They frequently did the very predictable Star Trek meme where even though they are facing imminent destruction, Janeway is more concerned with being an ultra compassionate humanitarian than she is about the survival of her ship and crew. But all the Star Treks after the original were like that, so there's nothing new in that. The best shows are the episodes dealing with the Borg.

Overall, it is a light, predictable, somewhat cartoonish distraction. I wouldn't pay money to watch it. But it is a lot better than watching anything on daytime TV.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1893 on: August 03, 2018, 12:01:25 am »
Killjoys is back on SyFy.  New Season.

Well, I'm going to watch it on demand. I'm still ticked off for cancelling The Expanse. Even though Amazon picked it up.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1894 on: August 03, 2018, 12:10:30 am »
Been watching Star Trek Voyager on Amazon Prime lately, which is my least favorite of all the franchise. Had to adjust to the Katharine Hepburn impersonator Janeway. The whispering Captain. 

Very annoying. In so many scenes she starts out speaking normally, and then slowly descends into a softer, and softer, and softer, whisper. By the end of the dialog she has sunk into such a soft whisper it is almost inaudible. She does this very often. I think, she thinks, that it gives her an appearance of 'seriousness' or something. I don't know. To me, it was just annoying. Kept yelling at the TV, "Speak Up! Dammit!"

One of the most predictable parts of the show was every time they picked up a stranger(s) to 'help' him/them, Voyager would always wind up in trouble because of it. It was routine. They help somebody, and then wind up either getting screwed over by the guy they helped, or they wound up in the middle of some fight about something. This plot theme was so consistent in so many of the shows, it became predictably boring. You would think they would catch on after a while. But they never do.

Voyager has an unlimited supply of shuttles. They lose a shuttle every second show but they always have another one. They must have a shuttle manufacturing shop somewhere on the ship which does nothing but make shuttles 24/7.

They also do the Soap Opera entrance. When I had to stay out of school as a kid, my mother always had the soap operas on. I noticed then, at 10 years old, that when someone wanted to start a conversation they would walk up to someone and say a big loud, "'Well...!' or 'So...!' I see you and Tadd are spending a lot of time together." Voyager uses this same opening whenever they go into soap opera mode. Paris uses this a lot when he wants to screw with Kim about something personal.

But if you want to play a drinking game with the show, take a drink every time one of the characters says, "I'm afraid..."
I'm afraid not.
I'm afraid so.
I'm afraid I can't do that.
I'm afraid I will be forced to do just that.
I'm afraid he had that coming to him.
I'm afraid...yes
I'm afraid...no
I'm afraid...up
I'm afraid...down

These guys spend most of each show 'afraid' of this or that. To which I respond with, "Don't be afraid. It will be alright."

These annoyances aside, it was pretty good series. Lot's of shoot um' up battles. They frequently did the very predictable Star Trek meme where even though they are facing imminent destruction, Janeway is more concerned with being an ultra compassionate humanitarian than she is about the survival of her ship and crew. But all the Star Treks after the original were like that, so there's nothing new in that. The best shows are the episodes dealing with the Borg.

Overall, it is a light, predictable, somewhat cartoonish distraction. I wouldn't pay money to watch it. But it is a lot better than watching anything on daytime TV.

Also a bunch of crybabies.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1895 on: August 03, 2018, 03:26:47 am »

@240B

I woudln't go that far. Thanks to streaming video,I sometimes watch Shameless or Game of Thrones in the daytime.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #1896 on: August 03, 2018, 04:01:52 am »

Very annoying. In so many scenes she starts out speaking normally, and then slowly descends into a softer, and softer, and softer, whisper.

Voyager did suck.

Month Python wanted to do a skit (or a show?) where they would gradually get quieter and quieter so people would have to get up and turn up their TVs several times, and then they'd go back to regular volume and it would suddenly be very loud.  The BBC wouldn't let them.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1897 on: August 03, 2018, 04:15:14 am »
Check out this nutty dialog. Season 1 Episode 6

JANEWAY: I know you're disappointed, Harry, we all are. It seemed we were so close. But clearly we can't go back. It would pollute the time line to such an extent that the consequences would be unimaginable. I'm afraid we'll have to send you back alone and ask that you not reveal anything that has happened here.
TELEK: I can assure you, Captain, that I would not do anything that might contaminate the future and perhaps harm the Romulan Empire, but, in twenty years I could alert Starfleet not to launch the mission which sent you here.
CHAKOTAY: I'm afraid that's not possible either. We've already had a huge impact on this quadrant. People and events here would be drastically affected.
JANEWAY: I'm afraid we're left with our original request. In twenty years, would you relay our personal messages to Starfleet?
-----------------------
These guys are 'afraid'. All of them.
-----------------------
a·fraid
əˈfrād
adjective
feeling fear or anxiety; frightened.
"I'm afraid of dogs"
synonyms:   frightened, scared, terrified, fearful, petrified, scared witless, scared to death, terror-stricken, terror-struck, frightened out of one's wits, scared out of one's wits, shaking in one's shoes, shaking like a leaf;

More
worried that something undesirable will occur or be done.
"he was afraid that the farmer would send the dog after them"

unwilling or reluctant to do something for fear of the consequences.
"I'm often afraid to go out on the streets"
--------------------

S2E20
NEELIX: Well, that's good news, I-I'm delighted you've decided to become a contributor. But I'm afraid I don't have time to discuss it right now.
EMH [on monitor]: But I've already prepared today's topic. How to keep your nostrils happy.
NEELIX: That is fascinating, but I'm afraid there's a more important story I have to work on today.

S3E11
EMH: I'm afraid that's not possible. We'd risk infecting the crew.
GARAN MINER: You can't leave me. Please.
EMH: Commander Chakotay. Perhaps if we established a force field around sickbay and beamed victims directly to
CHAKOTAY [OC]: I'm sorry, but I'm afraid we can't take the chance.

-----------------------------
Ok, we get that the Voyager crew is 'afraid'. But here we have a case where even the aliens are 'afraid'.
-----------------------------

KASHYK: I'm afraid Prax isn't impressed. He's solely concerned with his work, aren't you, Prax?
PRAX: As you say, sir.
KASHYK: Yes, he's curious why you entered this sector. You're aware it's restricted.
JANEWAY: We were planning to study a supernova remnant not far from here.
KASHYK: You strayed a full light year from your course in order to observe an astronomical phenomenon?
JANEWAY: We're explorers.
KASHYK: Yes, I remember. I also remember warning you about going where you don't belong.
JANEWAY: Exploring can sometimes be hard to resist, Inspector.
KASHYK: Well, it's a romantic notion, Captain, but one I can't allow you to indulge. I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to leave our space immediately. Prax, why don't you check on our teams while I reiterate our protocols for Captain Janeway.

S6E25
NEELIX: Is that so? I'm afraid that gaseous anomalies were never really my specialty. Come on, gather round. I've brought toys and stories and games and I thought that later we might even have a little sing-along.
ICHEB: I should go to Astrometrics. Seven may need my help.
NEELIX: I'm afraid that Astrometrics is shut down, too.
----------------------------------
The Ambassador is 'afraid'.
----------------------------------
S7E20
AMBASSADOR [on viewscreen]: I'm afraid we can't do that.
JANEWAY: Why not?
AMBASSADOR [on viewscreen]: It was erected by aliens hundreds of years ago. They haven't been back. The technology is a mystery to us.
TUVOK: Why did these aliens build the barrier?
AMBASSADOR [on viewscreen]: To protect the Ventu.
JANEWAY: From whom?
AMBASSADOR [on viewscreen]: Us. Our ancestors fought them, polluted their habitat. I'm afraid we weren't very enlightened back then.
JANEWAY: Earth went through its dark periods too, Ambassador. Would you have any objections if we tried to lower the barrier, just to scan for our people?
AMBASSADOR [on viewscreen]: I told you, it's not possible.
TUVOK: Perhaps if you gave us information about the barrier's power source?
AMBASSADOR [on viewscreen]: The generator is inside. There's no way to access it. Even if your people did survive, I'm afraid there's no way to get them out.
-------------------------------------
Obviously there was a writer for this show who was hung-up with the term "I'm afraid". It occurs dozens of times in the show. I only posted here when the term was used back-to-back. But there are many, many, more examples. I don't get it but, to each his own. If whoever wrote this this show likes to be 'afraid', then more power to them.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 05:51:23 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

« Reply #1898 on: August 04, 2018, 10:56:03 pm »

The Washington DC Cinematic Universe presents...

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist