Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 421974 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #1125 on: June 18, 2017, 05:16:58 pm »
Will be interesting to see how the reboot fares in long term ST lore.  I for one would like to give props to the kid who has reprised Nimoy's character Spock.  He has done a helluva job.  the rest of the crew.......   Ahhhhh.. So So.

It's already started. The guy that played Chekov in the reboot died of a freak accident with his car at 27.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1126 on: June 18, 2017, 09:50:28 pm »
I think it was first reported Biggs may have had a stroke/aneurysm...The cause was a tear in his aorta.

Diabetes can also be brought on by certain lifestyle choices. Not saying that is why Furst had diabetes. But alcoholism, lung cancer, motorcycle accident, etc. can be construed as relating to lifestyle choices. That they all worked on the same program is happenstance/coincidence.

While the deaths, for example, of people working in the nuclear field early days, is not (coincidental).

BTW, how do you get a tear in your aorta?
One way is to be in a car accident. Another is to be around explosions. The outer sheath can be torn or weakened by infection and it splits (something called a dissection of the Aorta) when that happens, the inner part of the vessel is not as strong and tends to balloon (aneurysm). The more it balloons, the weaker the arterial wall, and if it bursts, game over.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1127 on: June 18, 2017, 09:59:45 pm »
As for Vir:

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1128 on: June 18, 2017, 10:10:30 pm »
One way is to be in a car accident. Another is to be around explosions. The outer sheath can be torn or weakened by infection and it splits (something called a dissection of the Aorta) when that happens, the inner part of the vessel is not as strong and tends to balloon (aneurysm). The more it balloons, the weaker the arterial wall, and if it bursts, game over.

Thanks for clearing that up. All I could come up with was he was wearing his heart on his sleeve and snagged it on the corner of the coffee table.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1129 on: June 18, 2017, 10:35:57 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up. All I could come up with was he was wearing his heart on his sleeve and snagged it on the corner of the coffee table.
Injury or infection can weaken the outer layer of the Aorta.
A good friend of mine who was a combat medic in Iraq had a 'spontaneous aortal dissection'. He was still on his feet, walked into the aid station, dropped his gear, and told the guys that he 'felt like crap', his BP was seriously different from Right arm to Left. They got him from the aid station to Ramstein and got it fixed, miraculously enough, but that was the end of his service career. He got back in touch with me after he got back and said 'Every sunrise I see is a gift'. He died in his sleep about a year later.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1130 on: June 19, 2017, 08:05:10 pm »
Calling all Trekkies Trekkers Trek fans fen... ST:D has a start (not Star) date: 09/24/2017.

https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/876831970839347202
Let it burn.

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #1131 on: June 19, 2017, 08:07:50 pm »
21 Books That Changed Science Fiction And Fantasy Forever

Good list. Especially agree with The Forever War being included - that is horribly underrated in my opinion.

I think it's obvious that a lot of the books on that list were chosen due to either the author's race or sexual orientation, or due to the "groundbreaking" (i.e., politically left-leaning) content of the book.  "Dhalgren" ahead of "Lord of the Rings"?  Yeah, no.   **nononono*
Let it burn.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1132 on: June 20, 2017, 12:41:47 am »
I think it's obvious that a lot of the books on that list were chosen due to either the author's race or sexual orientation, or due to the "groundbreaking" (i.e., politically left-leaning) content of the book.  "Dhalgren" ahead of "Lord of the Rings"?  Yeah, no.   **nononono*
I didn't so much agree with the order, either. There were books I enjoyed more than others which were a little less "groundbreaking" in a political social sense. I read Dahlgren, and barely recall it. Others, like Dune and The Lord of the Rings created entire worlds complete with ecosystems and sociocultural interactions that in and of themselves had histories that could make for entire books (in the case of Dune, the pre-quels went there, successfully, imho).
Perhaps it is just because I find some societies more memorable than others.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1133 on: June 20, 2017, 12:48:26 am »
@Smokin Joe

I didn't read it as a ranking. I thought it was just a list. But a bunch of books in the middle fit all of that "groundbreaking" thing, IMO. The 7-8 I haven't read.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1134 on: June 20, 2017, 01:41:59 am »
@Smokin Joe

I didn't read it as a ranking. I thought it was just a list. But a bunch of books in the middle fit all of that "groundbreaking" thing, IMO. The 7-8 I haven't read.
Yep. I read the first nine and the last three. In sci-fi I wasn't looking so much for pushing cultural limits, as I was looking to be entertained.

C S Lewis

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #1135 on: June 20, 2017, 12:07:54 pm »

Chip Delaney is an effin' commie pervert. I've read Triton (it took forever to slog through it) and started Dhalgren, got about 1/3 of the way through it, and threw it away. Never read any of his poorly written screeds again.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1136 on: June 22, 2017, 01:40:44 am »
Should Star Trek Sequels Return to the Prime Timeline?

Andy L. Kubai
Screen Rant
June 20, 2017

Star Trek has remained a ship somewhat adrift, especially since the prequel series Star Trek: Enterprise was canceled before its fifth season. When J.J. Abrams brought his kinetic, alternative timeline to life in 2009, the long-running saga received a shot in the arm. Since then, the franchise, now split between Paramount (film) and CBS (small screen), continues to seek out for the right vehicle to truly set the stars ablaze in the 21st century.

Star Trek Into Darkness and Beyond were both exciting and generally well-received entries but fell victim to diminishing returns at the box office when Beyond’s meager haul seemed to call into question the fiscal viability of a fourth entry in the Kelvin timeline. Nevertheless, the saga remains wildly popular, with CBS unveiling its first streaming endeavor, Star Trek: Discovery, at the end of September. Longtime franchise creative Nicholas Meyer (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan), who’s involved with the latest show as a writer and producer, recently revealed a new project. Although he hasn’t disclosed the true nature of his undertaking, he did suggest that fans “can assume” it’s a feature film.

At this point, production on a fourth feature remains uncertain, at least according to Zachary Quinto (alternative Spock). Meyer could be exploring new avenues for the next Kelvin feature, but he may also be drafting a cinematic concept for the Prime timeline. Either way, is Star Trek ready to return to its classic continuity?
More

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1137 on: June 23, 2017, 06:40:44 pm »
Star Trek: Discovery to ditch a long frustrating Trek rule

James Hibberd
Entertainment Weekly
June 23, 2017

Star Trek: Discovery is shedding a creative restriction that’s long frustrated top writers on previous shows in the franchise.

Showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen J. Berg — working from a creative roadmap laid out by executive producer Bryan Fuller — are delivering a Trek saga that gets rid of one the franchise’s decades-old limitations in an effort to evolve the series.

As part of Trek creator Gene Roddenberry’s utopian vision of the future (and one that Trek franchise executive producer Rick Berman carried on after Roddenberry’s death in 1991), writers on Trek shows were urged to avoid having Starfleet crew members in significant conflict with one another (unless a crew member is, say, possessed by an alien force), or from being shown in any seriously negative way.
More

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1138 on: June 23, 2017, 11:53:16 pm »
Star Trek: Discovery to ditch a long frustrating Trek rule

James Hibberd
Entertainment Weekly
June 23, 2017
More

I'm fine with it..

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1139 on: June 24, 2017, 12:07:18 am »

Offline kevindavis007

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1141 on: June 24, 2017, 02:14:56 am »
Hulu now has Star Trek Beyond added to it's inventory, FYI.
The Republic is lost.

Offline kevindavis007

Offline kevindavis007

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1144 on: June 30, 2017, 11:38:02 pm »
Check this out...

There are people from Star Trek, Stargate and The Expanse in this show:

https://www.amazon.com/Episode-1/dp/B0731PX4FS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498865491&sr=8-2&keywords=Nobility

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1145 on: July 01, 2017, 12:10:44 am »
Check this out...

https://www.amazon.com/Episode-1/dp/B0731PX4FS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498865491&sr=8-2&keywords=Nobility

I'll give it a look, thanks.

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #1146 on: July 01, 2017, 12:12:45 am »
Check this out...

Hmm... hard to find out much about it... apparently they've been trying to get it off the ground since 2013? Their IndieGogo attempt only reached 15% of their goal. Seems like it was a web-based series at one point. I can't tell if there are any more than the three episodes that are already on Amazon...  oh heck, they're only 18 minutes long each.  :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline kevindavis007

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1148 on: July 01, 2017, 10:30:53 pm »
FYI.. All Star Trek movies is now on Hulu and Amazon (free if you have Prime)..

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #1149 on: July 02, 2017, 03:23:46 am »
Well we apparently aren't quite done with Peter Capaldi as Dr Who yet. We saw a tease of the William Hartnell version of the Doctor and a note that "The Doctors" would return for Christmas.

Looks like Bill is finally gone which is perfectly fine with me.