Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 419850 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #1725 on: April 04, 2018, 04:03:45 pm »
The 4400 maybe?

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Maybe "Lost"? I never watched a whole episode of that,but the survivor thing rings a bell.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1726 on: April 06, 2018, 03:39:21 pm »
Know this falls under Fantasy, but Amazon is apparently putting together a series based off the Tolkein books, but before LOTR:

The more that comes out about Amazon’s acquisition of the rights for its Lord of the Rings series, the more insane it becomes. Less than a month ago, we reported that the prequel series would cost (altogether) upwards of $500 million, after Amazon beat Netflix for an initial $250 million payout just for the rights to J.R.R. Tolkein‘s epic. But as THR is now reporting, that total number could now reach over $1 billion. There was speculation early on that the deal included a multiple-season commitment, which has now been confirmed as totaling five, though it could include spin-off series. Tallying all of that up increases the price dramatically.

http://collider.com/lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-amazon-details/

Which brings up a second question, should we expand this thread to include Fantasy, Superhero, Spy, etc. or create another or other thread(s)?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1727 on: April 06, 2018, 04:07:05 pm »
Know this falls under Fantasy, but Amazon is apparently putting together a series based off the Tolkein books, but before LOTR:

Which brings up a second question, should we expand this thread to include Fantasy, Superhero, Spy, etc. or create another or other thread(s)?

The line between all of these tends to be blurred.  As long as Horror isn't included, I'm fine with combining them.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #1728 on: April 06, 2018, 04:21:09 pm »
The line between all of these tends to be blurred.  As long as Horror isn't included, I'm fine with combining them.

Nope, definitely not Horror. If you can have inbred hillbillies killing people with farm implements, then I can't seeing that being a good fit.  ^-^
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1729 on: April 06, 2018, 06:28:01 pm »

@Free Vulcan

There is so much overlap,why not expand this thread?

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1730 on: April 06, 2018, 07:25:51 pm »
Nope, definitely not Horror. If you can have inbred hillbillies killing people with farm implements, then I can't seeing that being a good fit.  ^-^

@Sanguine
@Free Vulcan

I see nothing wrong with combining horror. Horror frequently combines elements of science fiction and fantasy.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 07:29:28 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1731 on: April 06, 2018, 07:42:43 pm »
I see nothing wrong with combining horror. Horror frequently combines elements of science fiction and fantasy.

The gratuitous use of blood and gore for entertainment makes it different than the other categories, IMHO.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1732 on: April 06, 2018, 08:21:47 pm »
The gratuitous use of blood and gore for entertainment makes it different than the other categories, IMHO.

Did you see Alien
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #1733 on: April 06, 2018, 08:29:16 pm »

Did you see Alien

All 3 of them.

All 3, by the book, formula. Only the costumes and sets were changed to protect the investors.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #1734 on: April 06, 2018, 08:45:43 pm »
OK, we can compromise and do horror as long as it can fit into sci-fi, tech, apocalyptic, etc. In other words, hillbillies killing people in a cabin in the woods with scythes wouldn't qualify.

Unless anyone objects, I'll change the title of the thread to reflect the additions.
The Republic is lost.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1735 on: April 06, 2018, 08:57:20 pm »
Good idea

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1736 on: April 06, 2018, 08:59:33 pm »

Did you see Alien

No, I didn't.  But, I have seen gory movies, and if it's a necessary part of the story, that's fine with me. 

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1737 on: April 06, 2018, 10:43:25 pm »
OK, we can compromise and do horror as long as it can fit into sci-fi, tech, apocalyptic, etc. In other words, hillbillies killing people in a cabin in the woods with scythes wouldn't qualify.

Unless anyone objects, I'll change the title of the thread to reflect the additions.
Gotcha, undead hillbilllies killing people with farm implements is ok, as long as they're zombies....the undead hillbillies, that is.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:44:18 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1738 on: April 06, 2018, 11:43:04 pm »
Lord Of The Rings: Amazon's TV series will become the most expensive show in history with a budget of $1 BILLION... beating Netflix's The Crown

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5585711/Amazons-Lord-Rings-TV-series-set-expensive-history.html#ixzz5BwGkYIJc
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1739 on: April 06, 2018, 11:52:27 pm »

Did you see Alien

@kevindavis

I saw it. Scared the hell out of me.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #1740 on: April 07, 2018, 01:13:22 am »
@kevindavis

I saw it. Scared the hell out of me.

Took a lady to see it (1st film) in the theater.

Thought the marks she dug into my knee with her nails when that puppet popped out of the guy's chest at chow were gonna bleed, to say nothing of the shriek she let go right into my ear.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1741 on: April 07, 2018, 01:17:58 am »
Took a lady to see it (1st film) in the theater.

Thought the marks she dug into my knee with her nails when that puppet popped out of the guy's chest at chow were gonna bleed, to say nothing of the shriek she let go right into my ear.

This part??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrxlbLVcpqI

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #1742 on: April 07, 2018, 02:04:39 am »
Best line in Spaceballs was Brooks prayer:

"God Willing there will be a Spaceballs II, The Quest For More Money."

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1743 on: April 07, 2018, 01:39:07 pm »
Johnny English strikes again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qv6p6pTz5I

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1744 on: April 08, 2018, 01:33:58 am »

What about motel owning entrepreneurs?

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1745 on: April 09, 2018, 02:28:32 pm »
THE EXPANSE

The first two seasons are available on Amazon Prime. I just finished both of them over the last week. It is a compelling story. Very gritty and some parts are disturbing. Essentially it is an expose on how easily it is for humans to hate and kill each other over territory, greed, and national origin.

Watching the Expanse, it helps a lot to know the layout of our solar system. They constantly refer to planets, moons of planets, and the asteroid belt. If you don't know where these bodies are in relation to each other it would be easy to get lost as to what they are talking about.

Season 3 begins this Wednesday on SyFy channel. I'll be there to find out what the protomolecule is doing on Venus, and how they plan to kill the superhuman alien created on Ganymede.

It is an intense adult drama. It is intelligently written and well acted without all the deep moral posturing that so many space oriented shows have overdone. It is worth watching.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1746 on: April 09, 2018, 04:00:25 pm »
THE EXPANSE

The first two seasons are available on Amazon Prime. I just finished both of them over the last week. It is a compelling story. Very gritty and some parts are disturbing. Essentially it is an expose on how easily it is for humans to hate and kill each other over territory, greed, and national origin.

Watching the Expanse, it helps a lot to know the layout of our solar system. They constantly refer to planets, moons of planets, and the asteroid belt. If you don't know where these bodies are in relation to each other it would be easy to get lost as to what they are talking about.

Season 3 begins this Wednesday on SyFy channel. I'll be there to find out what the protomolecule is doing on Venus, and how they plan to kill the superhuman alien created on Ganymede.

It is an intense adult drama. It is intelligently written and well acted without all the deep moral posturing that so many space oriented shows have overdone. It is worth watching.
I agree. I caught it in Season one, and then watched it as often as I could (then binge watched it again.) Of note to me was that (FINALLY!!!) there was a space battle that didn't look like an aerial dogfight! While mass and acceleration (and braking) still follow the laws of physics, aerodynamics (with the exception of jets of escaping air acting as impromptu thrusters) don't enter into the equation. All the more reason to evacuate the atmosphere inside the craft and suit up. That had me hooked, partly because it did not require the suspension of disbelief that you need when they start talking about 'shooting wamp rats back home'....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1747 on: April 09, 2018, 05:23:14 pm »
I could be wrong, but I think The Expanse could be the last quality Sci-Fi show on traditional Pay TV...

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1748 on: April 10, 2018, 01:23:39 am »

Anson Mount is STAR TREK: DISCOVERY’s Captain Pike
http://trekcore.com/blog/2018/04/anson-mount-is-star-trek-discoverys-captain-pike/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member