Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 422179 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #1550 on: December 13, 2017, 01:09:44 am »
@kevindavis

Hey. I'm trying to watch that Lexx series. But it is so weird and goofy, I really don't know what to make of it.

What do you think about Lexx? I'm curious.

@240B

It was OK, I tried to watch it when it was on the SyFy channel.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1551 on: December 13, 2017, 01:36:08 am »
Since the movie "Your Name" was mentioned in a list referenced here, I thought I'd post a little more about it.

It's an anime movie from Japan (Japanese title, "Kimi no Na wa"), written and directed by Makoto Shinkai. It had a very limited run in US theaters, and unfortunately I didn't get to see it.  Currently it's available on DVD and Blu Ray, both subtitled and English-dubbed, but so far as I know it's not yet available for streaming anywhere.

The movie has won awards and critical acclaim, both for its storyline and its outstanding art and animation. A brief description of the plot, borrowed from Funimation's (the company that did the English dub) website:

Mitsuha and Taki are two total strangers living completely different lives. But when Mitsuha makes a wish to leave her mountain town for the bustling city of Tokyo, they become connected in a bizarre way. She dreams she is a boy living in Tokyo while Taki dreams he is a girl from a rural town he’s never been to. What does their newfound connection mean? And how will it bring them together?

Here's the official English-dubbed trailer:

And here's a music video of one of the songs ("Sparkle," by RADWIMPS) featured in the movie, showing more of the gorgeous art and animation:

I *really* want to see this. I've been waiting to see if it's going to become available for streaming anywhere... but I'm beginning to think I might just have to buy the Blu Ray for myself for Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:37:03 am by Ghost Bear »
Let it burn.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #1552 on: December 13, 2017, 01:58:26 am »
Enjoyed The Orville.. I think that The Orville is much better than Star Trek: TNG. 

Here are my 3 favorite SciFi Shows:

1. The Expanse
2. Star Trek: Discovery
3. The Orville

Yeah, I like the Orville also.

I've been watching the original Star Treks.  I taped a bunch of them on BBC.

I just watched one where Kirk is somehow on this desert/mountainous country battling a reptilian alien.  The minute I saw the scene, it looked familiar and then I saw in the credits it was based on a story by Fredric Brown.  Wow.  I loved Fredric Brown.  His proem, "Imagine" is just great.  (not a misspelling on the 'proem'
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #1553 on: December 13, 2017, 02:12:15 am »
Yeah, I like the Orville also.

I've been watching the original Star Treks.  I taped a bunch of them on BBC.

I just watched one where Kirk is somehow on this desert/mountainous country battling a reptilian alien.  The minute I saw the scene, it looked familiar and then I saw in the credits it was based on a story by Fredric Brown.  Wow.  I loved Fredric Brown.  His proem, "Imagine" is just great.  (not a misspelling on the 'proem'

I read this book a few years ago, I won't mention the title as I don't want to give it ANY publicity.  It was "all" about the things we all learned in school that weren't actually true.  I put quotes around "all" because about 75% of the way through it shifted gears.  The first 75% of the book was nothing more than a set up to build credibility so that the author could push his pet agenda (gender income inequality, IIRC). 

I'm not saying the orville is the same sort of scam, but the orville is the same sort of scam.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #1554 on: December 14, 2017, 09:33:31 pm »
I read this book a few years ago, I won't mention the title as I don't want to give it ANY publicity.  It was "all" about the things we all learned in school that weren't actually true.  I put quotes around "all" because about 75% of the way through it shifted gears.  The first 75% of the book was nothing more than a set up to build credibility so that the author could push his pet agenda (gender income inequality, IIRC). 

I'm not saying the orville is the same sort of scam, but the orville is the same sort of scam.

I love the Orville and don't know where you're coming up with the 'scam' theory.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #1555 on: December 15, 2017, 12:41:05 am »
I love the Orville and don't know where you're coming up with the 'scam' theory.

He's roping you in.  Prepare for a gradual but increase shift towards right-wing bashing.   The guy is a huge flaming leftie.  It won't be the first time he's pulled this; I hope it's the last.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1556 on: December 15, 2017, 12:45:32 am »
Well, I have been binge watching Killjoys, and it is decent. Different...

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1557 on: December 16, 2017, 07:19:58 pm »
'Stargate' Prequel Series Finishes Filming: Check Out This Sneak Peek

Elizabeth Howell
Space.com
December 14, 2017

If a sneak peek of "Stargate Origins" is any indication, there should be some fun action scenes and lots of portals in the prequel series to the famous franchise.

The series, which will air in 10-minute episodes on MGM's digital platform "Stargate Command," will be released sometime in 2018. A new video showing highlights from the filming shows the cast and crew working in locations ranging from dunes to warehouses...

Fan favorite Catherine Langford (played by Ellie Gall in the new series) makes a prominent return in the new series...

More

@Bender2

Offline verga

« Reply #1558 on: December 30, 2017, 04:01:08 am »
Has anyone been watching "Runaways" on Hulu?
I thought the firsst 1 1/2 episodes were a bit slow, but after that it really pulls you in.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1559 on: December 30, 2017, 04:05:24 am »
Has anyone been watching "Runaways" on Hulu?
I thought the firsst 1 1/2 episodes were a bit slow, but after that it really pulls you in.

Been following it. Not bad.
The Republic is lost.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1560 on: December 30, 2017, 12:39:05 pm »
There is the movie--Bright--now on Netflix. Starring Will Smith. Throughout the whole show, I kept thinking, "I've seen this movie before".
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #1561 on: December 30, 2017, 01:45:10 pm »
I installed my firestick this morning and I'm already loving it. I can't wait for October when my 2 year contract with direct TV ends and I can tell them to come and get their ugly ass dish or I'm chucking it in the lake.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1562 on: December 30, 2017, 02:02:30 pm »

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

So what? That doesn't mean you have to buy into it. As a famous man once wrote and sang,"Take what you need,and leave the rest."
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1563 on: December 30, 2017, 02:05:48 pm »
I installed my firestick this morning and I'm already loving it. I can't wait for October when my 2 year contract with direct TV ends and I can tell them to come and get their ugly ass dish or I'm chucking it in the lake.

That dish is your property now. When you buy the service you buy the dish.  Paint it like a road sign and put it up on a stick out on a back road. The good ole boys out riding around drinking beer will kill it for you.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1564 on: December 30, 2017, 02:33:32 pm »

@Cripplecreek

Your next step will be to dump the firestick and buy a ROKU,a HD antenna,and if you are like me and miss TIVO,a tuner. I can now pull in over 4,000 channels for $8.99 per month,which is the monthly ROKU fee.

One of those channels is Direct TV for $35 per month if you want to go that way. You can also get HBO,Showtime,etc,etc,etc for additional money,but less than you were paying. You stream them all over your internet connection or your HD antenna. Don't ask me to explain how I stream you tube and other channels through your tv antenna,but I do. It is probably related to my Channel Master tuner,but I don't know this to be a fact.

I recommend the $4x.xx RCA HD antenna sold by Amazon. I have one for my house and one for my workshop. The nearest tv station to me is 52 miles away,and I pull in 39 channels in the house,and 43 in the workshop. The antenna on the workshop is mounted higher. The HD antennas are MUCH smaller than the traditional tv antennas. I think mine weigh around 4 lbs each,so it's no problem climbing a ladder with  one.

Once you get an antenna,go to www.tvfool.com and type in your home address,and it will list every tv station in your area and give you compass readings to them so you can turn your antenna to dial it in for the best reception.

Out of the 4,000+ channels I can view,only a handful involve me paying a fee. I highly recommend Netflix for $10.66 per month. I also get Amazon Prime for free if you are a Amazon Prime member. I also get HBO,Showtime,Hulu,and Starz,as well as a couple you have probably never heard of,like Brit Box. I'm a huge Dr Who fan and you can view EVERY SINGLE Dr Who episode at Brit Box since Season 1,episode 1,as well as other British tv series.

Out of the 4,000+ channels you will get for free,you wouldn't watch most of them unless someone were pointing a shotgun at you and demanding you watch or die. By the second day,you might be begging for the sweet release of the shotgun. Don't let that scare you. There are enough free channels available that regardless of what you enjoy viewing,there just isn't enough hours in the day to view all the shows you really want to watch. There are entire channels dedicated to war movies,science fiction,horror,romance,comedy,and every other subject you can think of and probably some that never occurred to you.

I currently run a 1TB removable HD attached to my Channel Master turner for recording,but will be trying to adapt one of those home surveillance recorders with 4 channels to my smart tv to see how that works. They are a lot cheaper than tv recorders,and have high definition,rewind,etc,etc,etc. If worse comes to worse I will just use it to monitor my home and yard.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #1565 on: December 30, 2017, 02:54:03 pm »
Dark on Netflix isn't bad.  It's more suspense with a sci-fi twist I guess. English dubbed over some Scandinavian language.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1566 on: December 31, 2017, 02:43:56 am »
You can line it with bits of mirror and cook things on it using the sun...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1567 on: December 31, 2017, 04:32:54 am »
There is the movie--Bright--now on Netflix. Starring Will Smith. Throughout the whole show, I kept thinking, "I've seen this movie before".

Wife and I watched it last week, and enjoyed it, even if it was derivative of every buddy cop movie ever made... well, derivative of a lot of different tropes, for that matter. We both thought it was well done, for all of that.  :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1568 on: December 31, 2017, 05:05:15 am »

I liked it, kinda Tolkein meets Alien Nation.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 05:05:38 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1569 on: December 31, 2017, 03:49:54 pm »

Congrats on telling those a**holes go to hell.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1570 on: December 31, 2017, 03:51:46 pm »
As I'm watching The Twilight Zone, I'm surprised that Rod bashed (aside from Hitler), Stalin and Castro.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #1571 on: December 31, 2017, 04:10:16 pm »

Congrats on telling those a**holes go to hell.

As time goes on I'll be adding things like Hulu and Sling.  Just this morning I added the free Pluto TV ap. Pluto has lots of old movies available and some decent TV channels. I watched a good show about Einstein's relativity theories on one of their science channels this morning.

Right now I'm watching "The magnificent 7" (2016) for free.

Offline verga

« Reply #1572 on: December 31, 2017, 09:06:09 pm »
As time goes on I'll be adding things like Hulu and Sling.  Just this morning I added the free Pluto TV ap. Pluto has lots of old movies available and some decent TV channels. I watched a good show about Einstein's relativity theories on one of their science channels this morning.

@Cripplecreek thanks for the suggestion, downloading "pluto" right now.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1573 on: December 31, 2017, 11:10:46 pm »

I'm trying Hulu live right now..

Offline verga

« Reply #1574 on: January 01, 2018, 02:04:58 am »

I'm trying Hulu live right now..
@kevindavis My wife and I love Hulu