Author Topic: Welcome Thread for the TBR Texas State Chapter  (Read 39084 times)

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
Re: Welcome Thread for the TBR Texas State Chapter
« Reply #225 on: May 24, 2016, 01:34:08 am »
New guy here, west Houston suburbs, reporting for the first time.  Lurked on TOS for 16 years before I finally decided to join in discussions, then quickly decided I didn't like the sound and attitude of a Trump echo chamber.  Been lurking here for a few weeks and I've seen so many neighbors I decided to go public.

Not a native Texan, rather a native Tennessean, but I've been living here since '92, come to think of it just a bit longer than I lived in Tennessee.  Cousins of mine have ancestry here since before The Alamo, and I can see my family name on the San Jacinto monument, but I still prefer Bluegrass and George Dickel to Western Swing and Shiner Bock.  Nevertheless, when Texas finally does secede, I'll be joining up, wearing a coonskin cap.
James 1:20

Offline SquirrelCutter

• Hey Moe, I'm tryin' to think but nothin' happens!
    • My homepage over on FR, if things continue as current I may find a new host.
« Reply #226 on: May 24, 2016, 01:38:53 am »
I am a cyclist. And I absolutely hate squirrels, I want to exterminate the species. All squirrels must DIE!

One of my bicycles is an old Schwinn Paramount "fixed-gear" which means you can't coast, as long as you are in motion the cranks are turning. I've had squirrels try to jump through the front wheel and bounce off, but I always imagined it would chop the hell out of a squirrel, hence my moniker.

I just ran over a squirrel yesterday, hit the little monster pretty solid but he got up and ran away. Now, I did not attempt to run over the little bastid, he attacked me and there was nothing I could do. I'm just glad he didn't get tangled in the front wheel and face plant me on the pavement. I have a theory, a "radial-laced" front wheel is harder for them to get caught in because the only place between the spokes wide enough is right at the rim. So far I've been proven correct.

Squirrels, fuzzy-tailed rats!
"Do right, and risk the consequences" -- Old Sam Houston

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

I tend to say what I think, sometimes before I think.

And, as always, my opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them.

Offline SquirrelCutter

« Reply #227 on: May 24, 2016, 01:40:42 am »
Not a native Texan, rather a native Tennessean, but I've been living here since '92, come to think of it just a bit longer than I lived in Tennessee.  Cousins of mine have ancestry here since before The Alamo, and I can see my family name on the San Jacinto monument, but I still prefer Bluegrass and George Dickel to Western Swing and Shiner Bock.  Nevertheless, when Texas finally does secede, I'll be joining up, wearing a coonskin cap.

Dang straight, Col. Crockett was from TN, Old Sam spent some time there too.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #228 on: May 24, 2016, 01:42:20 am »
Welcome aboard HoustonSam and  SquirrelCutter!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #229 on: May 24, 2016, 01:46:12 am »
I am a cyclist. And I absolutely hate squirrels, I want to exterminate the species. All squirrels must DIE!

One of my bicycles is an old Schwinn Paramount "fixed-gear" which means you can't coast, as long as you are in motion the cranks are turning. I've had squirrels try to jump through the front wheel and bounce off, but I always imagined it would chop the hell out of a squirrel, hence my moniker.

I just ran over a squirrel yesterday, hit the little monster pretty solid but he got up and ran away. Now, I did not attempt to run over the little bastid, he attacked me and there was nothing I could do. I'm just glad he didn't get tangled in the front wheel and face plant me on the pavement. I have a theory, a "radial-laced" front wheel is harder for them to get caught in because the only place between the spokes wide enough is right at the rim. So far I've been proven correct.

Squirrels, fuzzy-tailed rats!

Good name.  And, I agree with you on squirrels!

So, another fellow Texan, @Wingnut, is also a bikie. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #230 on: May 24, 2016, 01:47:29 am »
...Nevertheless, when Texas finally does secede, I'll be joining up, wearing a coonskin cap.

And, we're glad to have you!  Coonskin hat may get a bit warm in the Texas heat, but we're tough so it should be fine.

Offline SquirrelCutter

« Reply #231 on: May 24, 2016, 01:47:55 am »
Yeah, Wingnut was one of the first to welcome me.

--George Washington

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #232 on: May 24, 2016, 01:48:13 am »
New guy here, west Houston suburbs, reporting for the first time.  Lurked on TOS for 16 years before I finally decided to join in discussions, then quickly decided I didn't like the sound and attitude of a Trump echo chamber.  Been lurking here for a few weeks and I've seen so many neighbors I decided to go public.

Wecome from Sugar Land. There are a lot of us that left TOS.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #233 on: May 24, 2016, 01:55:18 am »
Thanks Groucho.  I have enjoyed a number of your posts while observing from cover.

I'm in Katy but find myself in SL several times a week due to work.  I'll be down there all day tomorrow.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #234 on: May 24, 2016, 01:58:41 am »
Thanks Groucho.  I have enjoyed a number of your posts while observing from cover.

I'm in Katy but find myself in SL several times a week due to work.  I'll be down there all day tomorrow.
Thanks for the kind words.
Ironically, I work in Katy, off Morton & Fry!

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #235 on: May 24, 2016, 02:10:17 am »
Good name.  And, I agree with you on squirrels!

So, another fellow Texan, @Wingnut, is also a bikie.

Crazy thing. I have a beagle and a foxhound and they ignore the squirrels. I guess they just got used to them getting in the pecan tree and finally ignored them and gave up.
It is a completely different story when a possum comes around. All Hell breaks loose. I have to physically go get them back in. I'm not mad at them for it, though the neighbors may not care for it. They are just doing there job.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #236 on: May 24, 2016, 02:11:41 am »

"Ironically, I work in Katy, off Morton & Fry!"

I'll flash my headlights at you tomorrow AM when I'm southbound on 99 ................

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #237 on: May 24, 2016, 02:16:01 am »
Nevertheless, when Texas finally does secede, I'll be joining up, wearing a coonskin cap.

Spoken like my favorite Tennessean!   0005a from south of Houston!

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #238 on: May 24, 2016, 02:18:35 am »
I went through a whole mess of them until they finally got tired of me refusing to shut up. I'm like that sometimes.

Most Texans are!   0005a

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #239 on: May 24, 2016, 02:18:44 am »
"Ironically, I work in Katy, off Morton & Fry!"

I'll flash my headlights at you tomorrow AM when I'm southbound on 99 ................

LOL, I'll be the guy half asleep. Can't miss me!
Then again, that would be well over half the other drivers....

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #240 on: May 24, 2016, 02:21:44 am »
Spoken like my favorite Tennessean!   0005a from south of Houston!

Thanks very much Yellow Rose.  I am frequently down in your direction also for work, and unfortunately less often, to time the tides at Surfside for fishing.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #241 on: May 24, 2016, 02:23:19 am »
Most Texans are!   0005a
@SquirrelCutter
@Texas Yellow Rose

We know the saying "You can always tell a Texan, but you can't tell'em much".

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #242 on: May 24, 2016, 04:09:31 pm »

Greg Abbott rejects Obama Administration request to lift Iran sanctions

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=208448.new#new

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #243 on: May 24, 2016, 05:43:57 pm »
Greg Abbott rejects Obama Administration request to lift Iran sanctions

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=208448.new#new

Don-o, I posted this over on the Texas state & local news thread. 

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=208466.new#new

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #244 on: May 24, 2016, 11:06:26 pm »

Welcome!  Texas will always owe a debt of gratitude to those Tennessee volunteers.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #245 on: May 25, 2016, 01:01:28 pm »
 :amen:
Welcome!  Texas will always owe a debt of gratitude to those Tennessee volunteers.

Offline al_c

« Reply #246 on: May 25, 2016, 06:55:14 pm »
Howdy from a Texan who lives in Plano.

Howdy back at ya from someone who works for Plano. :beer:
al_c

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #247 on: May 25, 2016, 07:14:37 pm »
Hi ya'll!  I'm living in exile in Northern Lousiana, but I was born and raised in Houston, Texas.  I'm a Texan through and through and I'm using my birthright claim to post on the Texas board. 
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #248 on: May 25, 2016, 07:33:20 pm »
Hi ya'll!  I'm living in exile in Northern Lousiana, but I was born and raised in Houston, Texas.  I'm a Texan through and through and I'm using my birthright claim to post on the Texas board.

I guess everyone is going to join us here.  I mean, who doesn't want to be a Texan?  :lotsosmileys:
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #249 on: May 25, 2016, 08:08:06 pm »

Lamb, you go right ahead!  Glad to have you.