Author Topic: University backs down – removes Jesus dartboard. Outrage erupts over display of 'art' at Rutgers library  (Read 905 times)

rangerrebew

University backs down – removes Jesus dartboard
Outrage erupts over display of 'art' at Rutgers library
Published: 12 hours ago

After an outcry was raised by students, potential students, alumni and the general public, Rutgers University has removed a “provocative and controversial” piece of artwork from the campus library.

The art piece, entitled “Vitruvian Man,” featured Jesus hanging from a dartboard rather than a cross. Instead of nails, red darts were placed in his chest, hands and feet, with blood dripping from the stab wounds.

The report came from Campus Reform, which explains what it found: “An alleged ‘art display’ at Rutgers University featuring a figure of Jesus Christ on a dartboard, with darts inserted where He was wounded on the Cross, is being held up as a contradiction of the school’s professed commitment to diversity,” wrote reporter Peter Fricke.

The report said the image was posted by a former Rutgers student on a Facebook page for the Class of 2016. She said it was in the school’s art library. The posting received nearly 150 comments, with some defending the display as an expression of free speech.

See what American education has become, in “Crimes of the Educators: How Utopians Are Using Government Schools to Destroy America’s Children.”

“An art library is a location specifically designated for art and art can (and most of the time is) be profoundly offensive,” said Parth Mehrotra. “The purpose of art is to incite an emotion and make a statement. Some good, some bad. I mean, people used to be executed for making art contradictory to their nations propaganda.”

“You’re going to go through life seeing lots of things that disrespect you. The world does not revolve around one person. Live and learn!,” Erica Steeber wrote.

Others vehemently disagreed. “Disgusting, disturbing, and offensive,” said Odalys Jimenez-Castano. “It’s a public university. You’re right. That is why I deserve to feel safe in my own school that I pay thousands of dollars to attend just as much as anyone else in this school. Being tolerant of others means respecting everyone in your community. Plain and simple.”

“It is surprising that a state university would allow this,” wrote Rutgers graduate Natalie Caruso. “I asked them to take it down because I found it disrespectful and they refused. How is this acceptable!?”

“Honestly, if this were Muhammad or some other religious figure there would have been more of an outcry,” said Matthew Andrews, “not to mention wouldn’t have been done in the first place.”

The New Brunswick Patch reported at first librarians moved “Vitruvian Man” from prominent spot near the circulation desk to a lower shelf farther away. But then on Thursday, they took it down entirely.

Get the hottest, most important news stories on the Internet – delivered FREE to your inbox as soon as they break! Take just 30 seconds and sign up for WND’s Email News Alerts!

“It did not meet Rutgers University Libraries policy, which requires art exhibitions and their pieces to be based on university events, curricular offerings, and topics of interest to the university community,” said Jessica Pellien, director of communications for the library system at the school.

“How artwork is selected for inclusion in an exhibit takes into consideration freedom of expression as well as the criteria listed above,” she continued. “We have concluded that the policy and process the Libraries use to select artwork for exhibitions was not followed.”

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2016/04/alleged-jesus-dartboard-art-stirs-outrage-at-rutgers/#SmSp2hEupuB5TyOF.99

Offline mountaineer

Yes, it's free speech. But seriously, kiddies, why mock God?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

If someone had put an image of Mohammed on a dart board, the university would have never considered doing it.  Then they would find the culprit and expel him/her.

Bill Cipher

The message of the display is a bit subtle, but I see it as critiquing modern society, especially college life.  The darts represent, or could represent, the modern college pub/bar life, as microcosm for the larger "if it feels good" society, and how Christ is just as much crucified on that score as under the society that existed in his day.  I don't see it as insulting although it is provocative. 

Wingnut

I find it distasteful. Disrespectful. But allowable in a free society.  One thing I'm not going to do is run out in the street with a machete yelling Ali Hackbar looking for someone to behead.

Offline mountaineer

I find it distasteful. Disrespectful. But allowable in a free society.  One thing I'm not going to do is run out in the street with a machete yelling Ali Hackbar looking for someone to behead.
Exactly.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Can you imagine Rutgers sanctioning a similar piece of art with muhammed hanging there?

Can you just imagine that?

"Imagine it" you must, because it will NEVER happen at Rutgers, nor at any other leftist college.

In those places, about the only religious figure deserving of such attack is Christ and the religion of his followers...

Addendum:
Wait a minute.... I forgot about the.... Jews!

Offline mountaineer

No, of course they'd be careful not to offend Islam (if they want to stay alive). Christianity is fair game these days. The bottom line, though, is that even offensive stuff is considered constitutionally protected speech.