Author Topic: Baseball 2016---Season On!  (Read 39630 times)

Online Polly Ticks

Re: Baseball 2016---Season On!
« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2016, 06:40:51 pm »
A special tip of the cap to you @Polly Ticks for showing the rest of the league that the METS are mortal.  And wounded.

Love the come from behind win tonight. 4-3.

@DCPatriot
The final results of our four-game series with the Mets are in ... We split with them 2-2, and one of their wins was a 1-0 extra innings affair. 
They're definitely mortal. 
Good luck!

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 06:51:08 pm by DCPatriot »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2016, 06:51:30 pm »
@DCPatriot
The final results of our four-game series with the Mets are in ... We split with them 2-2, and one of their wins was a 1-0 extra innings affair. 
They're definitely mortal. 
Good luck!

"If it bleeds...we can kill it!!"      ...Dutch, in Predator
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #152 on: June 27, 2016, 10:33:12 pm »
I sincerely hope the pitchers don't go head-hunting in this 3 game series.

Tonight, it's Noah Snydergaard vs. Josh Ross.  Noah is 8-2 with a WHIP of .99

I say he's very hittable right now.   

Josh Ross is lights out when he can spot his fastball and throw 'strike one'.   

We'll see.

It was just announced that #1 minor league prospect Lucas Giolito will be making his pitching debut for the NATS tomorrow vs. Harvey!

That should be must see TV, IMO.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2016, 07:36:04 pm »
Looks like the Tigers long drought against the Indians is over in grand fashion. Tigers win 12-2 behind Michael Fulmer pitching.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2016, 03:52:30 pm »
@DCPatriot
So that was a heck of a game yesterday between the Nats and Bucs.  Were you watching, and if so, did you stick it out for the entire 18 innings?
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2016, 11:50:20 pm »
Twinkies strike first tonight. Last night it was the Tigers who scored the first and only time.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #156 on: July 20, 2016, 01:45:01 am »
I like the fact that, after a slow start, my Astros have come back.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2016, 01:58:48 am »
Tigers are trailing The wins 6-1 in the 9th but wearing out pitchers.

Couple weeks back they trailed 7-0 in the 9th and ended up winning by 5 runs.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #158 on: July 23, 2016, 11:57:06 pm »
Sources: Sox ace Chris Sale sent home after confrontation with front office member
Katie Strang and Jerry Crasnick

CHICAGO -- The White Sox scratched ace Chris Sale from Saturday night's start against the Detroit Tigers for what the team called a " non-physical" clubhouse incident before the game.

Two people familiar with the situation told ESPN's Jerry Crasnick that Sale was involved in a confrontation with a member of the White Sox front office. One person said the incident was over "something silly" that apparently mushroomed into a bigger argument.

Sale has had run-ins with the White Sox front office in the past, and sources around the team say his relationship with executive vice president Kenny Williams and some members of the front office is strained.

News of Sale's removal from the scheduled start trickled out about an hour before the scheduled 7:15 p.m. ET first pitch in Chicago. White Sox general manager Rick Hahn clarified what occurred in a statement released at about 6:45 p.m. ET.

"Chris Sale has been scratched from tonight's scheduled start and sent home from the ballpark by the White Sox due to a clubhouse incident before the game," Hahn said. "The incident, which was non-physical in nature, currently is under further investigation by the club. The White Sox will have no additional comment until the investigation is completed."

The White Sox clubhouse was open to reporters for only 20 minutes before it was closed for a team meeting before the game. Manager Robin Ventura did not discuss the incident later in his pregame availability.

Matt Albers was named the starting pitcher for Saturday's game, which was delayed by rain. The crowd booed when Albers was announced as the starter as the teams warmed up.

more at:    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/17131938/chicago-white-sox-scratch-pitcher-chris-sale

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2016, 12:01:33 am »
Sources: Sox ace Chris Sale sent home after confrontation with front office member

Watching them sit in the dugouts now. (Rain)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2016, 12:05:12 am »
Katie Strang and Jerry Crasnick

CHICAGO -- The White Sox scratched ace Chris Sale from Saturday night's start against the Detroit Tigers for what the team called a " non-physical" clubhouse incident before the game.

Two people familiar with the situation told ESPN's Jerry Crasnick that Sale was involved in a confrontation with a member of the White Sox front office. One person said the incident was over "something silly" that apparently mushroomed into a bigger argument.

Sale has had run-ins with the White Sox front office in the past, and sources around the team say his relationship with executive vice president Kenny Williams and some members of the front office is strained.

News of Sale's removal from the scheduled start trickled out about an hour before the scheduled 7:15 p.m. ET first pitch in Chicago. White Sox general manager Rick Hahn clarified what occurred in a statement released at about 6:45 p.m. ET.

"Chris Sale has been scratched from tonight's scheduled start and sent home from the ballpark by the White Sox due to a clubhouse incident before the game," Hahn said. "The incident, which was non-physical in nature, currently is under further investigation by the club. The White Sox will have no additional comment until the investigation is completed."

The White Sox clubhouse was open to reporters for only 20 minutes before it was closed for a team meeting before the game. Manager Robin Ventura did not discuss the incident later in his pregame availability.

Matt Albers was named the starting pitcher for Saturday's game, which was delayed by rain. The crowd booed when Albers was announced as the starter as the teams warmed up.

more at:    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/17131938/chicago-white-sox-scratch-pitcher-chris-sale

Let's see---Sale has had a long strained relationship with some front office people. He's been the subject of near-
incessant trade rumours for a couple of months. Could he have suggested they sh@t or get off the pot and quit
keeping him hanging?

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2016, 03:43:23 am »
On the other hand, I could have been wrong . . .

Chris Sale reportedly sent home after argument over uniforms

The jersey in question:

Bad enough: the regular uni made the White Sox look like a beer-league softball team.

Worse: The one-day variation of the uniform that probably really tripped Sale's trigger, since the White Sox
who got stuck wearing it during a doubleheader with the Royals weren't exactly thrilled about it,
either:

(You're not seeing things, that's Hall of Famer Goose Gossage.)

The incredibly silly stat involving the White Sox's beer-league jersey-and-shorts rig: History will record
that only one man has ever hit a home run wearing shorts in a major league game. You guessed it:
he was a White Sox during that doubleheader: Jack Brohamer:

Sale only shredded the throwback versions so nobody on the White Sox could wear them.

Me? I'd have incinerated them.

On the grounds that major league baseball teams shouldn't be hitting the field looking like beer league
softballers. (I'm still surprised the 1979 Pirates tolerated their unis. Or the 1980s Astros. Or the Indians
of the all-red unis. Or the Orioles of the all-orange unis.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #162 on: July 24, 2016, 10:38:26 am »
So....is Sale a prima donna?  Or, is it just that he's not happy with the organization's promotions vs spending $$$ on winning.

:laugh:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #163 on: July 24, 2016, 10:41:36 am »
Tigers and Sox have to finish last night's game today. (2:10 PM)

Game suspended after 8 innings tied 3-3

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #164 on: July 24, 2016, 02:50:34 pm »
So....is Sale a prima donna?  Or, is it just that he's not happy with the organization's promotions vs spending $$$ on winning.

:laugh:

He came right out and said he wasn't happy about putting promotions ahead of baseball. I think he's had a running
argument with the front office about investing in the team for quite awhile. Sometimes it reminds me of the Tom
Seaver imbroglio with the Mets in the mid-1970s---where Seaver publicly said he wasn't just interested in his own
contract (he wanted to renegotiate but never once said he'd abrogate his incumbent contract otherwise),
but in the Mets making serious investments both in the organisation and on the embryonic free agency
markets. (That was actually the bigger issue for Seaver.)

But Sale, at least, to anyone's knowledge, doesn't have to contend with the relative of a powerful local
columnist working in the White Sox front office. (Seaver had such an adversary: the son-in-law of legendarily
grumpy Daily News columnist Dick Young. Who'd be hoist by his own petard a decade later, when he jumped
to the New York Post . . . and actually did what he only accused Seaver of doing, wanting to renege on his
contract.)

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2016, 03:11:21 pm »
Appearances played a big part in Detroit trading Alex Avila to Chicago.

His father is now the GM of the Detroit Tigers and there was talk about whether it would be appropriate for him to be involved in trades of his son.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2016, 05:04:11 pm »
The Astros go for the sweep of the Angels today.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2016, 01:41:08 am »
My friend and I discussed some of the defunct Major League baseball teams but could not really come up with names.

Wikipedia pages: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Defunct_Major_League_Baseball_teams

Most of these are really obscure, the history of baseball nonetheless, is fascinating because it very much reflects the history of the country somewhat too.

It looks like the Civil War ends in 1865; by 1875, baseball starts to become a very major pastime in the US.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #168 on: August 01, 2016, 01:45:41 am »
My friend and I discussed some of the defunct Major League baseball teams but could not really come up with names.

Wikipedia pages: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Defunct_Major_League_Baseball_teams

Most of these are really obscure, the history of baseball nonetheless, is fascinating because it very much reflects the history of the country somewhat too.

It looks like the Civil War ends in 1865; by 1875, baseball starts to become a very major pastime in the US.

A photo my great grandfather took of some locals playing baseball in my hometown. I'm guessing sometime between 1920 and 1930.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #169 on: August 01, 2016, 01:47:58 am »
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/powerrankings/

Power rankings, always interesting to check in on though, I know it doesn't settle anything.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #170 on: August 01, 2016, 01:49:16 am »
A photo my great grandfather took of some locals playing baseball in my hometown. I'm guessing sometime between 1920 and 1930.

Great photo.

One has to love that, it's such a phenomenon really.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:50:06 am by TomSea »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2016, 01:52:24 am »

By the looks of that infield, was there any such thing as a 'good' hop?  YIKES!! 

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2016, 01:56:59 am »
By the looks of that infield, was there any such thing as a 'good' hop?  YIKES!!

Today Home plate is down in the direction of the house on the background and today its a nice lighted diamond.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2016, 01:58:29 am »
In that photo, that catcher is interesting and while I grew up,  the catcher position was difficult.  Squatting can be hell on the legs.

I watched a kids game recently and now, at least some catcher's equipment has, I don't know the word but on the back of the calf, a place where one can rest themselves (their bum) on the back of the shinguard equipment. I think this photo shows it some.

I don't find anything on it but I know I saw it.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2016, 02:07:42 am »
Today Home plate is down in the direction of the house on the background and today its a nice lighted diamond.

Speaking about "home plate" being hallowed ground....I cannot believe the new and improved Yankee Stadium wasn't built around the same home plate used by Ruth, DiMaggio, Maris, Williams, Musial, Aaron, etc..

Do they even have a plaque commemorating the actual site?