Author Topic: Baseball 2016---Season On!  (Read 39537 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Baseball 2016---Season On!
« on: April 03, 2016, 06:45:52 pm »
Let it be recorded that 2016's first official RBI was hit by . . . a pitcher.
Francisco Liriano, Pirates. Bottom of the fourth, off Adam Wainwright,
who's only the Cardinals' best pitcher when he's healthy.

Season on!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Baseball 2016---Season On!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 07:01:20 pm »
Bring it on. Nothing better than being outside working on a fine spring day with the ball game on the radio.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 07:28:23 pm »
Spring is here!   My wife and I love to go to the Phils games, and we saw our first on Friday,  when they played an exhibition against the Orioles. 

The Phillies are supposed to stink this year (the hip yet polite word is "rebuidking"),  but they have so many kids this year that it's going to be phun watching the New Breed find its way.  At least so I tell myself; the bitter truth is the relief pitching is gonna be lousy.     

Look out folks, for at least  rising star -  Maikel Franco,  who I believe led all major leaguers in homers this spring (including a titanic shot on Friday night,  that blasted off so high and far I lost sight of it.    It clanked off the restaurant below the big scoreboard,  probably 450 feet from the plate.)

And maybe another - Odubel Herrera,  a charismatic cat and top-of-the-order catalyst with power potential,  who can track 'em down.   He'll play center even with Peter Bourjos on the team.

I'm also rooting for Cedric Hunter, a minor league lifer who until now never caught a break, and made the team as our right fielder.   He's got the prettiest swing on the team.    We've got another speedy outfielder in Tyler Goedell,  a Rule 5 pick like "Doobie"  who's going to stick and provide half of a platoon.

It happens every spring!   
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 07:36:43 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 09:32:19 pm »
The Phillies are supposed to stink this year (the hip yet polite word is "rebuidking"),  but they have so many kids this year that it's going to be phun watching the New Breed find its way.  At least so I tell myself; the bitter truth is the relief pitching is gonna be lousy. 

The Phillies have quite a mess to clean up from the Amaro era, but it can be done. Don't even think about them contending this year,
but like you said, watch the kids. 

Look out folks, for at least  rising star -  Maikel Franco,  who I believe led all major leaguers in homers this spring (including a titanic shot on Friday night,  that blasted off so high and far I lost sight of it.    It clanked off the restaurant below the big scoreboard,  probably 450 feet from the plate.)

Franco was on a nice introductory roll last year (127 OPS+) before that wrist injury in August. Healthy, he should be big for them this year. Watch, too,
for the kid they got in the Ken Giles deal: Vince Velasquez. If he can keep the ball in the park at the Bank, Velasquez should give some hitters some
fits, he's a potential strikeout machine.

And maybe another - Odubel Herrera,  a charismatic cat and top-of-the-order catalyst with power potential,  who can track 'em down.   He'll play center even with Peter Bourjos on the team.

Don't be shocked if they move Herrera over one outfield position to keep him and Bourjos in the outfield, with Bourjos holding center field down,
while the Phillies wait for their real center fielder of the future---Nick Williams, whom they landed in the Cole Hamels deal last year.

The problem is that it's going to take another year and a half, probably, before the Phillies' yummy looking farm prospects look like they're
full-time major league ready. The rotation has a weak washed-up back end, and they're still going to have to deal this year with the last
days of Ryan Howard and Carlos Ruiz. (You kind of feel for Howard: he was never the same player after that ankle injury atop the big
contract extension. That's just plain lousy luck, but you wonder what Ruben Amaro wasn't thinking when he didn't think about moving
Howard and dining big on a lot of that extension while he still had value in terms of trade returns.)

I see 2016 as the season the Phillies get a good close look into their future and pick the pieces that make it happen. Unless the injury bug
hits or the best prospects prove to be journeymen, look for the Phillies to start looking like contenders again maybe after the 2017 All-Star
break.

I'm also rooting for Cedric Hunter, a minor
league lifer who until now never caught a break, and made the team as our right fielder.   He's got the prettiest swing on the team.

He'd be maybe the best feel-good story in the Show if he sticks and does well. What I see of his skill set shows me an early-in-the-order
hitter with a decent amount of pop and an ability to extort his way on base and continue the table setting. If there's nobody on ahead of
him he can take the extra base practically in his sleep. If there's a man ahead of him, he'd push that guy to take the extra base. I'm
genuinely surprised Hunter hasn't found a major league home yet. He may not be in the Phillies' long-term future plans, but if he gets
his shot and puts on a good show the first half of this season, he could be attractive to another club who turns up needing early-in-the-
order help and has a yummy prospect or two to offer up for him.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 12:20:52 am »
Good start for the Buccos. Only 99 more wins to go.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 12:23:21 am »
For hubby...Go Cards

For son.....Go Cubs
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 12:51:11 pm »
Thanks for the response, EasyAce!   I'm optimistic going into 2016 -  not optimistic that they're going to contend, but confident the Phils will play hard and create the conditions for some stars to emerge.  Valasquez could be a number two starter if all goes well,  although I can't see him getting anywhere close to 200 innings this year.  If he's healthy and shows most of the promise that's been predicted for him,  I'll be pleased.   

A big factor this year will be Mackanin at the helm from the start.   I think he's the right fit for this group of players. 

Darin Ruf may be poised for a big year -  last year Mack let there be a true competition behind the plate, and Rupp got most of the work instead of the veteran Ruiz.  Hopefully,  if Ruf starts thumping 'em early,  he'll start against both righties and lefties notwithstanding Howard's contract.  Or maybe Ruf will get some time in left field;  with Bourjos in center he shouldn't be too bad.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 01:26:00 pm »
Another year and another spring means for Cub fan's, hope springs eternal...again!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 08:39:34 pm »
Bryce Harper went yard in his first AB today.

That's FOUR Opening Day HRs  for the NATS' Right Fielder.

Score tied 1-1 vs Atlanta Braves end of 1 inning....as Freeman hits one out in CF.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 04:41:54 am »
Bryce Harper went yard in his first AB today.

That's FOUR Opening Day HRs  for the NATS' Right Fielder.

Score tied 1-1 vs Atlanta Braves end of 1 inning....as Freeman hits one out in CF.

Take that, Donaldus Minimus!!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 12:42:50 pm »

Take that, Donaldus Minimus!!

Couldn't help yourself, huh?   In YOUR own thread about baseball?      :chairbang:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 12:55:04 pm »
In other baseball news The Cubs won 9-0.  No bat flipping found at Wriggley.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 04:04:18 pm »
Couldn't help yourself, huh?   In YOUR own thread about baseball?      :chairbang:

Obviously baseball isn't the only thing that needs to be made fun again.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 10:29:10 pm »
Meanwhile, back in the jungle . . .

* Masahiro Tanaka fought Dallas Keuchel to a draw before the long ball and a nasty error did him and the Yankees in on their
   delayed Opening Day

* David Price struck out ten without much of a fastball, David Ortiz bopped his fifth career Opening Day bomb, and Hanley Ramirez
   almost won the game with his legs. 6-2 your final.

* At this writing Noah Syndergaard is taking it to the Royals. (9 punchouts in 6 innings.) Mets up 2-0 entering the top of the seventh
   thanks to new Met Neil Walker's two-run bomb in the fourth; Syndergaard squirmed out of trouble in the sixth with a big swishout
   on Kendrys Morales, on three swinging strikes and no balls (Royals with RISP on Syndergaard today: 0-for-7, six strikeouts, one walk) . . .
   meanwhile, Yoenis Cespedes popped out with the bases loaded to end the Met seventh . . .

* Hall of Famer Mike Piazza is miffed: his 9/11 jersey---as in, the one he wore when he hit the go-ahead two-run bomb in the first
   New York game back from the 9/11 atrocity---is going on the auction block. Hall of Famer Don Drysdale's eldest daughter is
   miffed at stepmother Anne Meyers Drysdale: the latter plans to auction all Drysdale's memorabilia. (Daughter only wants her
   father's 1962 Cy Young Award.)

* There went the Orioles' ban on players being pie-eyed in postgame interviews . . .

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 10:37:21 pm »
Meanwhile, back in the jungle . . .

* David Price struck out ten without much of a fastball, David Ortiz bopped his fifth career Opening Day bomb, and Hanley Ramirez
   almost won the game with his legs. 6-2 your final.

To put some perspective into Bryce Harper's feat....he has FOUR opening day homers and he's only 23 years old.  Ortiz is 40.    :laugh:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 10:44:01 pm »
To put some perspective into Bryce Harper's feat....he has FOUR opening day homers and he's only 23 years old.  Ortiz is 40.    :laugh:

Would it shock you if Harper should finish his career with ten Opening Day bombs? I don't think I'd be surprised . . .

Meanwhile, Chase Utley---for whom a new rule on takeout slides seems to have been named---started his season with---wait
for it!---an illegal takeout slide . . .

Wingnut

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 10:55:58 pm »
Later tonight the Cubbies are one at

9:05 pm on CSN+, FSW and on the radio at 670 AM.

Lineup:

Dexter Fowler CF
Jason Heyward RF
Kris Bryant 3B
Anthony Rizzo 1B
Ben Zobrist 2B
Jorge Soler DH
Addison Russell SS
Matt Szczur LF
David Ross C

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 11:35:55 pm »
Out of Kansas City, 2-0 Mets your final---the Mets' bullpen spelled Noah Syndergaard
with three innings of hitless, runless relief.

Wingnut

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 12:28:04 pm »
Chicago Cubs are 2-0   
Apr 05, Final 6 - 1
Los Angeles Angels 0-2

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 12:02:43 am »
cough......knock wood.

My Orioles are the only undefeated team in the major leagues at 5-0.   

Davis, Schoop, Hardy and Machado....you'd be hard pressed to find a better infield in The Show.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 09:45:36 pm »
Lordy, Lordy, Miss Magavirin!!

O's Chris Davis hits 3 run bomb in top of the 9th off Craig Kimbrel to take a 9-6 lead....go 6-0...winning 9-7.    :beer:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 12:04:17 am »
Lordy, Lordy, Miss Magavirin!!

O's Chris Davis hits 3 run bomb in top of the 9th off Craig Kimbrel to take a 9-6 lead....go 6-0...winning 9-7.    :beer:

*chuckling* One of the big surprises of the early season so far. What did get into those guys' feed bags, anyway?
They're playing like the '86 Mets right now.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 06:59:58 pm »

My grandson, Elias.  Age 14.   

Running in on line drives, sliding while making a basket catch and in one motion jump to his feet without breaking stride....at 14.

A senior holds down the CF position he's playing so he opted for JV, where he could get his reps.

Write it down.  He's got 'it'!

Wingnut

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 07:07:24 pm »
The Cubbies are 7-1 and on a 4 game streak.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 07:13:31 pm »
The Cubbies are 7-1 and on a 4 game streak.

Nats will be 7-1 about 8 PM tonight....sweeping the Atlanta Braves.

Rare 4 pm start today.