Author Topic: Sainsbury's cafe staff refused customer black pudding 'because chef was a Jehovah's Witness'  (Read 1490 times)

Offline mountaineer

Sainsbury's cafe staff refused customer black pudding 'because chef was a Jehovah's Witness'
 Alan MacKay claims he was forced to return home to eat his breakfast when the female chef's religious views blocked his plans have a full English fry-up
By Agency
12:53PM GMT 25 Mar 2016
Supermarket giant Sainsbury's has been forced to apologise to a customer who was told he couldn't have black pudding with his full English breakfast because the chef was a Jehovah's Witness.

Alan MacKay had dropped his wife off at work when he popped into the store for a meal at 9am on Wednesday morning.

But he was stunned when he was told he couldn't have any black pudding - which is made of animal fat, blood and oatmeal - because of the female chef's religious views. Jehovah's Witnesses regard blood as sacrosanct and won't eat an animal if it hasn't been bled to their standards.

Mr McKay was given a refund by the Sainsbury's store in Arnold, Nottingham, and forced to return to his home in nearby Mapperley to eat his breakfast.

The former police officer said: "I know it sounds trivial but it's the principal behind it that's ridiculous.

"If she refuses to cook black pudding because of her religion, what is she doing working in a kitchen that sells it? She shouldn't be employed if she won't cook the menu.

"I was really looking forward to my black pudding this morning. You get a good breakfast in there. But when I went in there to order my black pudding, like I have done before, I went away hungry. I was really cheesed off. I came home and had my breakfast at 11.30am. I had crumpets, a poached egg and beans.

"I didn't buy black pudding because it's quite fatty so I only have it once a week or so. Sainsbury's does a wonderful black pudding so that's why I was so disappointed. It's one of the few big stores that sells black pudding, Morrison's doesn't."

Sainsbury's has since apologised for the confusion and confirmed the chef is a Jevovah's Witness.

A spokeswoman said there had been a mix-up between the two kitchen staff and another worker had misunderstood the chef who asked them to prepare the black pudding.

They added: "We have apologised to the customer for the misunderstanding."

The full English breakfast complete with the black pudding, served at the Sainsbury's supermarket in Arnold, Nottingham.

:thud:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Wingnut

www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5diMImYIIA

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?”

Offline Puss-N-Boots

• God. Family. Seahawks!
That plate looks revolting.  I guess I need to get out more.
The Constitution is not a suggestion.

Offline mountaineer

With all due respect to our Brit TBR member, when Mr. M and I visited London several years ago we endured one English breakfast before deciding to "lighten up" every other morning of our stay. Too much cholesterol in one meal!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Ah, they are glorious! Of course, you don't need to eat until tea time after eating one of these, but it's worth it!  :laugh:

Though my preference at the local cafe is their number 1: two bacon, sausage, 2 egg, fried slice, bubble and squeak, baked beans, boiled mushrooms and two slices of toast with a good sized mug of tea.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I guess it is a matter of taste. I'm drooling here.

HonestJohn

Ah, they are glorious! Of course, you don't need to eat until tea time after eating one of these, but it's worth it!  :laugh:

Though my preference at the local cafe is their number 1: two bacon, sausage, 2 egg, fried slice, bubble and squeak, baked beans, boiled mushrooms and two slices of toast with a good sized mug of tea.

Two bacon, sausage, SPAM, eggs, SPAM, fried slice, SPAM, SPAM, bubble and squeal, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, baked beans, boiled mushrooms, toast, SPAM... with a mug of SPAM on the side.  :tongue2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8huXkSaL7o
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 01:54:02 am by HonestJohn »

Wingnut

I guess it is a matter of taste. I'm drooling here.

I think it was 84 or 85 I was leaving Upper Hayford and stopped for breakfast at some place on the way to catch a Pan Am 747 from Heathrow back to DC.  Looked a lot like that spread.   No Black pudding, but it was really good.  I remember during the  7 hour flight  I spent a lot of time in the head.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 02:13:56 am by Wingnut »

Offline mountaineer

No Black pudding, but it was really good.  I remember during the  7 hour flight  I spent a lot of time in the head.
:laugh:

Offline musiclady

I don't want no bloody oatmeal...........

(Sorry if I said a bad word, EC.  ^-^)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You said the O word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was a kid, we'd have oatmeal most mornings in the winter. Then, when I was about 10, that suddenly stopped. I asked Dad one breakfast time - "Why don't we eat oatmeal any more?"

He grunted and said "Can afford better now."  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

Offline musiclady

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You said the O word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was a kid, we'd have oatmeal most mornings in the winter. Then, when I was about 10, that suddenly stopped. I asked Dad one breakfast time - "Why don't we eat oatmeal any more?"

He grunted and said "Can afford better now."  :laugh:

:silly:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.