Author Topic: Convert or Die: Living in the Age of Trump  (Read 19971 times)

Offline Norm Lenhart

Re: Convert or Die: Living in the Age of Trump
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2016, 04:51:20 am »
Reminds me the dumb ass dog we had that used to chase porcupines...

Joe, a dog lacks the ability to reason. A trump supporter...Wait. Bad example

Joe, a Dog can't think for itself whereas a Trump Suppo...Wait, thats a bad example as well.

Joe, a dog is an animal that doesn't understand consequence and action, whereas a Trump su...Dammit, that won't work either.

Joe, a dog is a stupid animal that can learn from pain whereas a Trump supporter doesn't show that level of cognition...OK that one worked perfectly but ...

OK I give up.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:52:02 am by Norm Lenhart »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2016, 05:46:06 am »
This is conservatives ugliest hour.
No, but it is Republicans'. The people pulling that crap aren't "conservative" by any stretch of the definition.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2016, 05:54:26 am »
In all honesty, does anyone actually believe that admittedly stupid comments like that were really meant literally? As in actual dogs hunting down the tens of millions who didn't vote for Trump?

I mean, does anyone actually believe that?
Oddly enough, if someone angry makes a threat to my life, I take it very seriously.

Some keyboard commando stupidly making blanket threats in a public forum just might give some more motivated angry idiot real world ideas.

It only takes one.

For this reason, people are expected to not make threats against the physical being of others on the web in general. Aside from being stupid enough to provide evidence if something should happen to the person they threatened, it is considered by most to be bad form.

I sleep light, anyway, and between that and the dog, won't lose sleep over it. But am always ready to deal with anyone who tries to act on a threat.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2016, 05:59:37 am »
Reminds me the dumb ass dog we had that used to chase porcupines...
Cut the quill (for the folks who don't know, they are hollow tubes full of air, and barbed on the business end. If you squeeze the quill, it pressures up and digs the barbs in deeper and makes the quill that much harder to remove). Strip the air out, grab it with pliers and twist slightly (and cry with your dog) as you pull it out (because the sound of that cry will melt any heart). Or go to the vet and have the dog put under for the process, which sometimes you end up doing anyway.

And then the damfool dog will do the same thing again next time he runs up on a porcupine...

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2016, 06:04:54 am »
History teaches us that movements and masses of the kind we saw with Obama and now with Trump are beyond dangerous to a civil society the foundations that unscrupulous men with no morals exploit in their vision of national justice and payback.

I just find it interesting that the very people who tell us that we must do everything to stop the tyrannical threat posed by Hillary, are the same ones threatening punishment, harm, holes, dogs and shooting for treason those of us whom will not genuflect their prince.

Which makes them and their nominee inherently more dangerous to liberty than the one they claim is the danger.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2016, 09:06:11 am »
Cut the quill (for the folks who don't know, they are hollow tubes full of air, and barbed on the business end. If you squeeze the quill, it pressures up and digs the barbs in deeper and makes the quill that much harder to remove). Strip the air out, grab it with pliers and twist slightly (and cry with your dog) as you pull it out (because the sound of that cry will melt any heart). Or go to the vet and have the dog put under for the process, which sometimes you end up doing anyway.

And then the damfool dog will do the same thing again next time he runs up on a porcupine...

A buddy of mine has a St. Bernard that locked onto one. I cant remember the count but it was north of 100 quills in his face. The dog couldn't drop the porc and between the porc fighting to get away and the dog chomping on it and making matters worse, it was a bloody mess by the time it was over.

After the vet extracted the porcupine and it's quills after knocking the dog out, said dog had a face that looked like a balloon for a couple weeks.

Yup. did it again a year or so later.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2016, 09:28:27 am »
Words mean things. There are a lot of people sitting in jail right now for threatening to kill others that had no real intent. they were just mouthy.

the problem is that if someone is crazy enough to vote for a known liar, you really can't be sure what other crazy action, like hunting someone down and killing them, that they won't take.

So do you believe the poster actually meant that never trumpers would literally be hunted down woth dogs?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2016, 09:43:29 am »
Oddly enough, if someone angry makes a threat to my life, I take it very seriously.

Some keyboard commando stupidly making blanket threats in a public forum just might give some more motivated angry idiot real world ideas.

It only takes one.

For this reason, people are expected to not make threats against the physical being of others on the web in general. Aside from being stupid enough to provide evidence if something should happen to the person they threatened, it is considered by most to be bad form.

I sleep light, anyway, and between that and the dog, won't lose sleep over it. But am always ready to deal with anyone who tries to act on a threat.

Anyone seriously worried about baying hounds tracking down and savaging those who didn't vote for Trump has bigger problems than who is going to win the election.

It was a stupid, chest-thumping post for anyone to make, but it's blindingly obvious that it was meant as a metaphor for paying a political price, not actually hunting people down with dogs.

This is really you guys being as melodramatic as the poster who made that statement in the first place.  Not really sure you want to be in that company.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2016, 09:52:03 am »
So do you believe the poster actually meant that never trumpers would literally be hunted down woth dogs?

I believe ANYONE crazy enough to cast his vote for a lifetime liberal in the name of 'conservatism' when the two things are polar opposites has something very, very wrong with the wiring of their brain and presents a danger to anyone around them. So when one of them says something crazy, yes. I 100% believe that is the intent.

As a student of history, I am well aware of the crimes against humanity that followed the populism of Nazi Germany and do not for a nanosecond believe America is immune from a repeat.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2016, 09:59:41 am »
Anyone seriously worried about baying hounds tracking down and savaging those who didn't vote for Trump has bigger problems than who is going to win the election.

It was a stupid, chest-thumping post for anyone to make, but it's blindingly obvious that it was meant as a metaphor for paying a political price, not actually hunting people down with dogs.

This is really you guys being as melodramatic as the poster who made that statement in the first place.  Not really sure you want to be in that company.

We arent being anything but prudent. I understand your desire to minimize the batshit insane postings of supporters of the guy you want to vote for so projecting as you are with claims WE are melodramatic when your crew is calling for purges, treason executions and hunting humans with dogs. Because you want to vote for a liberal without the stigma of association with them. Thats not our problem. It's one you brought on yourself.

Granny always said you are who you associate with, so unless every granny in history was wrong, that leaves you with the choice to either get away from crazy people or have people view you, rightly or wrongly, as one of them.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2016, 10:10:02 am »
In all honesty, does anyone actually believe that admittedly stupid comments like that were really meant literally? As in actual dogs hunting down the tens of millions who didn't vote for Trump?

I mean, does anyone actually believe that?

The threats I received were from total strangers on the internet.  I doubt most of them are internet savvy enough to find my home address.  But judging from the stories about WikiLeaks, credit card breaches and identity theft, it may be easy for someone with the right know how to find me.  The question is whether there are people with so much time on their hands that they would spend the effort to find me.  On an individual level, maybe not.  What I would fear though would be if Trump won.  He and his minions would have access to government records, and as we know from the NSA stories, the government has access to a lot more of our personal information than we think.  What would prevent a paranoid sociopath like Trump with a constant need for revenge, as President, to have people access that information and then set about making the lives of his real or imagined enemies a living hell?

geronl

« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2016, 11:21:11 am »
So do you believe the poster actually meant that never trumpers would literally be hunted down with dogs?

The followers of Robespierre would never do stuff like that....

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2016, 11:45:23 am »
History teaches us that movements and masses of the kind we saw with Obama and now with Trump are beyond dangerous to a civil society the foundations that unscrupulous men with no morals exploit in their vision of national justice and payback.

I just find it interesting that the very people who tell us that we must do everything to stop the tyrannical threat posed by Hillary, are the same ones threatening punishment, harm, holes, dogs and shooting for treason those of us whom will not genuflect their prince.

Which makes them and their nominee inherently more dangerous to liberty than the one they claim is the danger.

I always enjoy your posts. 

Met my 1st real Trump supporter in the breakfast room of a hotel yesterday morning  (t-shirt and all).  Tried to convert those of us who were hunched over our waffles and coffee trying to wake up.  Some tried to ignore him, some tried to respond in a reasonable way.  His wife was trying to calm him down.  Atticus (the big white beast) stood up all stiff legged, tail curled over his back, hackles up and gave the guy several warning barks.  So people applauded the dog and the Trump guy left. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2016, 11:55:24 am »
I always enjoy your posts. 

Met my 1st real Trump supporter in the breakfast room of a hotel yesterday morning  (t-shirt and all).  Tried to convert those of us who were hunched over our waffles and coffee trying to wake up.  Some tried to ignore him, some tried to respond in a reasonable way.  His wife was trying to calm him down.  Atticus (the big white beast) stood up all stiff legged, tail curled over his back, hackles up and gave the guy several warning barks.  So people applauded the dog and the Trump guy left.

I look forward to living in a world where whether he wins or loses, Trumps supporters are treated like that wherever they go. Shunned by sane people. After the damage they have done already, they deserve no less.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 11:55:51 am by Norm Lenhart »

Oceander

« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2016, 11:58:20 am »
I look forward to living in a world where whether he wins or loses, Trumps supporters are treated like that wherever they go. Shunned by sane people. After the damage they have done already, they deserve no less.

Indeed.  Just watch out for those loosened libel laws if he gets in.  Come to think of it, Clinton and the democrat party will probably also attempt to stifle free speech for political dissidents.  Maybe they'll even pull a page from the old Soviet playbook and medicalize politics by treating political dissent as a mental disease requiring confinement in a mental hospital - all for your own "good," of course.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:00:42 pm by Oceander »

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2016, 12:09:29 pm »

They don't deserve that actually. They deserve the same respect we give anyone for their choices. This is America and you can support who you want. Trump supporters are beat up constantly around the country, if you peruse Trump reddit. Plus their signs are constantly stolen.

I'm not a Trump fan but I do not agree with any of that.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2016, 12:10:37 pm »
They don't deserve that actually. They deserve the same respect we give anyone for their choices. This is America and you can support who you want. Trump supporters are beat up constantly around the country, if you peruse Trump reddit. Plus their signs are constantly stolen.

Considering the crap his supporters have pulled? That IS the respect they earned.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2016, 12:13:31 pm »

They "deserve" all the respect they've earned.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2016, 12:13:32 pm »
Considering the crap his supporters have pulled? That IS the respect they earned.

That is an insane statement IMO.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2016, 12:17:39 pm »
That is an insane statement IMO.

Oh? You have his fanatics running around threatening to hunt people down with dogs, you have him encouraging people to beat the hell out of people. And I'M the insane one?

You think it's insane that such people get shunned by civilized society? Really? Says a lot about your priorities.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2016, 12:17:57 pm »

Everyone who supports Trump does not deserves to be beaten up and have their signs stolen because some other Trump supporters behave poorly.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:18:19 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2016, 12:19:03 pm »
Everyone who supports Trump does not deserves to be beaten up and have their signs stolen because some other Trump supporters behave poorly.

If you'd direct me to the post I claimed they should I'll be glad to address it.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2016, 12:26:09 pm »
They "deserve" all the respect they've earned.

Has the concept of judging people as individuals completely vanished?

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2016, 12:29:02 pm »
Has the concept of judging people as individuals completely vanished?

When they act as part of a dangerous mob? Yup. When they take individual responsibility for their actions, and behave like something other than feral animals 'hunting people down with dogs', we can get back to treating them as individuals.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2016, 12:30:21 pm »
If you'd direct me to the post I claimed they should I'll be glad to address it.
Ok

My point is a fair inference from your statement.  You stated what Trump supporters in general deserve, without distinguishing between those who have engaged in poor conduct themselves, and those who have not.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:31:48 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »