Author Topic: Following death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, here's President Obama's short list for his replacement  (Read 2855 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/obama-shortlist-new-supreme-court-justice-article-1.2530851

Following death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, here's President Obama's short list for his replacement
BY Laura Bult
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Updated: Saturday, February 13, 2016, 9:08 PM

After the sudden death of conservative Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, President Obama has the opportunity to move the country’s highest court toward the left by tapping a more liberal-leaning successor.

Immediately after news of Scalia's death broke, diverse options for the top job were being floated along with a debate online among Senate leaders about whether lame duck Obama should be the one to nominate the next justice.

"The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court justice," Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said Saturday in a statement.

"Therefore this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president.”

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) quickly fired back saying that "it would be unprecedented in recent history for the Supreme Court to go a year with a vacant seat."

"Failing to fill this vacancy would be a shameful abdication of one of the Senate's most essential Constitutional responsibilities."

Legal experts think Republicans might block an Obama appointee until he's out of office, leaving the court with a gaping vacant seat for nearly a year.

"I think Republicans will make every effort to block the nomination," Stephen Wermiel, Professor of Law at American University Washington College of Law told the Daily News. "Even to the point of shedding blood in the aisles of the Senate if they have to."

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
"I think Republicans will make every effort to block the nomination," Stephen Wermiel, Professor of Law at American University Washington College of Law told the Daily News. "Even to the point of shedding blood in the aisles of the Senate if they have to.

Translation---They'll chicken out.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Yep. The Republican establishment has never done anything to stop anything that Obama wants, except maybe cry about it when Boehner was there.

Why would this be different?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I have ZERO faith in the Republican Congress at this point.  They will cave, and they will whine that Obama was going to win anyway so they really had no other choice. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

Of course they will give it to him.  :#@$%:  this country was gone the day he got into office. :hard crying: at least with Scalia it felt better.

Offline sinkspur

I'll bet everyone on this thread (and donate it to GOPBR) a hundred dollars that you're all wrong.

How cynical.  Of course the GOP will not fold on this.  Too many Senators up for re-election who would lose over it.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Carling

I'll bet everyone on this thread (and donate it to GOPBR) a hundred dollars that you're all wrong.

How cynical.  Of course the GOP will not fold on this.  Too many Senators up for re-election who would lose over it.

That's my take too.  I won't care to vote GOP if they let Obama sneak in a liberal judge as a lame duck.  I'll be completely done with the party at that point.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

HAPPY2BME

I didn't see Eric Holder's name on Obama's short list. 

Bill Clinton must not want it.

Offline flowers

just found this item.....

If it’s Sri Srinivasan, Cruz already voted YES for him once.

“His Senate confirmation hearing on April 10, 2013 was uneventful.[17] His nomination was reported to the floor of the Senate on May 16, 2013, by a unanimous vote of 18 ayes to 0 nays. A final vote on his nomination took place on May 23, 2013, where he was confirmed 97-0.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Srinivasan
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 11:04:13 pm by flowers »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/2016/02/deval_patrick_emerges_as_a_potential_us_supreme_court_nominee

Deval Patrick emerges as a potential U.S. Supreme Court nominee
Former governor would face stiff GOP opposition
Jack Encarnacao Monday, February 15, 2016

Former Gov. Deval Patrick’s name has quickly emerged as a potential U.S. Supreme Court nominee after the death of Justice Antonin Scalia, a suggestion hailed by local Democrats while others say it would give a Republican Senate all the ammo it needs to stall the nomination process.

“He has such a strong background in constitutional law, civil rights, civil liberties. He would be an outstanding member of the court, I believe,” said Phillip Johnston, former chairman of the Massachusetts Democratic Party, who, like Patrick, served in an appointed post under President Bill Clinton. “I don’t have any idea whether Deval would want it, but if he did want it, I think those of us who know him well would applaud the nomination very vigorously.”

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline andy58-in-nh

Deval Patrick is Obama's "Mini-Me".

N.F.W.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
You can bet that whoever is nominated will be a minority so as to paint the GOP as anti-whatever when they kill the nomination.  Alinsky-loving OPapaDoc will nominate someone far, far left so as to energize the base of the Democrat Party when the nominee is refused a hearing.

If OPapaDoc was smart he would nominate someone like Orrin Hatch.  The GOPe could not hold back from giving him a hearing, and probably confirming.  He won't live that long, and he would definitely swing the court to the left of where it was under Scalia.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

You can bet that whoever is nominated will be a minority so as to paint the GOP as anti-whatever when they kill the nomination.  Alinsky-loving OPapaDoc will nominate someone far, far left so as to energize the base of the Democrat Party when the nominee is refused a hearing.

If OPapaDoc was smart he would nominate someone like Orrin Hatch.  The GOPe could not hold back from giving him a hearing, and probably confirming.  He won't live that long, and he would definitely swing the court to the left of where it was under Scalia.

If  Obama really wants to split the Republican Party during this election year, he should consider nominating Ted Cruz.

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
“Deval Patrick has about as much chance of being confirmed by a Republican United States Senate as Hillary Clinton does being the role model for the Girl Scouts of America. It’s just not going to happen,” Griffin said. He said Obama “would have to nominate someone who’s fairly moderate ... (Patrick) would be a judicial activist of the highest order.”

I think Obama will go black for sure and Loretta lynch or Eric Holder would be his top choices even tho he knows they cannot get confirmed.  But my guess is he does NOT care, look for he to toss a red herring Congress to get them in a squabble over it then at recess right before he steps down (if he does) he appoints a far left radical muslim like Holder/Lynch as a parting gift...If he does then the GOP will be faced with DENYING BLACK person appointed to SCOTUS.  If they do it then expect riots in the streets, if they don't its no big deal...anything to appease the blacks.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 03:52:14 pm by 17 Oaks »
Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...

Offline GourmetDan

After a bit of bluff and bluster... the GOP will roll over and confirm Obama's nominee...

How conveeenient it all is...  Qui Bono?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Right_in_Virginia

"I think Republicans will make every effort to block the nomination," Stephen Wermiel, Professor of Law at American University Washington College of Law told the Daily News. "Even to the point of shedding blood in the aisles of the Senate if they have to."

:0001:   :0001:

Offline MACVSOG68

Exactly right.  I do believe it will be a woman, black or Hispanic, but seemingly moderate.  When that fails he will turn to the more obviously left wing candidates, and in the end if he makes a recess appointment in January, it will be a true winger all out, black, female, lesbian or other such self-described gender other than straight.  But if he's smart he will initially select someone the GOP will have to schedule.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Wingnut

Exactly right.  I do believe it will be a woman, black or Hispanic, but seemingly moderate.  When that fails he will turn to the more obviously left wing candidates, and in the end if he makes a recess appointment in January, it will be a true winger all out, black, female, lesbian or other such self-described gender other than straight. 

You forgot Muslim.  You know the dear leader would love him some sharia law lover on the court.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
You forgot Muslim.  You know the dear leader would love him some sharia law lover on the court.
Nah, sharia law is too conservative. It'd be too much of a risk.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline MACVSOG68

Indeed I did.  My bad.  That would come after the Republicans had rejected his earlier nominations.  Rejecting a Muslim would be popular; rejecting a woman less  so.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Well,he is a member of the Master Race,if just barely. To really nail it down he needs to spend some time in the sun.

I noticed on the news today there were two other members of "the original race" mentioned,and one token female cracka. She's there for "balance",and there is no danger of her being nominated. That just the Dims pretending that "Cracka Ho's matta" because there is an election coming up,and they want the SOW Gang to fall in behind them.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne,

Did you hear that Spike Lee is going to make a film about the life of John Wayne?

I hear their first choice to play Wayne was Gary Coleman,but he's dead so Spike Lee may play Wayne himself,

Whoopie Goldberg has been signed to play Maureen O'Hara.

And no "people of color" will be criminals or be killed in the movie. Only crackas.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

After a bit of bluff and bluster... the GOP will roll over and confirm Obama's nominee...

That's the safe bet. The DNC will wave a few pork contracts for the districts of prominent alleged Republicans,and it will all be over but the shouting and check cashing.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I agree. They'll find a way to 'make a deal'.  That seems to be the word of the day. People who stand against liberalism are slammed as 'not being nice'.

Offline MACVSOG68

That's the safe bet. The DNC will wave a few pork contracts for the districts of prominent alleged Republicans,and it will all be over but the shouting and check cashing.

Maybe, though I'd be surprised given the GOP's huge number of filibusters since Obama's inauguration.  And a confirmation only months before the general election would severely dampen Republican voting.  It would be political suicide for the GOP.