Author Topic: Cruz attacks Rubio on Planned Parenthood  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Cruz attacks Rubio on Planned Parenthood
« on: February 13, 2016, 03:09:26 am »
http://www.politico.com/blogs/south-carolina-primary-2016-live-updates-and-results/2016/02/ted-cruz-marco-rubio-planned-parenthood-219229

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Ted Cruz unleashed a blistering attack on Marco Rubio's record on Planned Parenthood in front of hundreds of conservative voters at the Faith and Family Presidential Forum on Friday, insisting that his Senate colleague did not stand with him last fall as he sought to strip funding for the women's health care organization in a spending bill.

There is little daylight between Cruz and Rubio regarding their disdain for Planned Parenthood. But Cruz is seeking to cast Rubio as weak-kneed and unwilling to stand behind the Texas senator's 2015 strategy to defund the women's health organization.

The Texas senator alleged Rubio did not want to use Congress's "constitutional authority to defund Planned Parenthood," a charge that overlooked Rubio's support for tying an attack on the group with government funding.

"That's a mistake. So he and I disagree on that," Cruz said here at Bob Jones University, a Protestant university. "We could have defunded Planned Parenthood in the wake of those videos but too many Republicans in Washington, especially leadership, were afraid to stand and fight."

Cruz has cast himself as the one remaining presidential candidate that has been willing to thwart the GOP's Washington leadership, and his attack is a serious charge in South Carolina considering the evangelical GOP voting base here. The National Right to Life, one of the chief arbiters of social issues in GOP politics, quickly stepped in to back Rubio and called Cruz's Friday remarks "inaccurate and misleading."

"Marco Rubio voted to defund Planned Parenthood before Ted Cruz ever got to the U.S. Senate. Since Ted Cruz joined the U.S. Senate, both he and Sen. Rubio have voted the same on every roll call that National Right to Life regards as pertinent to defunding Planned Parenthood," said Carol Tobias, president of National Right to Life.

Cruz delivered the blow to Rubio at the tail end of an hour-long discussion with South Carolina Attorney General Alan Wilson, but it was perhaps his most savage attack on Rubio's record on social issues yet. While Cruz has suggested repeatedly in South Carolina that Rubio is flimsy on gay marriage, Cruz is now suggesting that Rubio is weak on an organization reviled by the GOP base.

"Marco Rubio has spoken out about Planned Parenthood. But when these videos came out I stood with millions of Americans calling on Republican leadership to use the power of Congress to defund Planned Parenthood and to cut off the money. And Marco stood up and said: 'No, we shouldn't," Cruz said.

Rubio's campaign said Cruz was fabricating.

"Ted Cruz is willing to do or say anything to get elected -- now he's just making things up," Rubio spokesman Alex Conant said when asked about Cruz's remarks.

In September Rubio did not urgently endorse Cruz's full-throated effort to press a strategy that could have again shut down the government, but Rubio did support a spending bill that defunded Planned Parenthood in September. In August, both Cruz and Rubio supported a standalone bill to defund Planned Parenthood, but Cruz demanded a sharper tactic that no spending bill pass that contains funding for Planned Parenthood.

Majority Leader Mitch McConnell ignored Cruz, seeking to avoid a replay of the 2013 shutdown, which was stoked by Cruz's attempt to defund Obamacare in a spending bill. The National Right to Life also opposed Cruz's strategy.

Cruz's effort failed and leaders moved to a so-called "clean" funding bill; Cruz voted against that bill while Rubio missed those votes Rick Tyler, a spokesman for Cruz, indicated on Twitter that Cruz's latest remarks were rooted in Rubio skipping those votes that continued Planned Parenthood funding in that funding bill.

Both Cruz and Rubio oppose exceptions for abortions in cases of rape and incest, and a Planned Parenthood official said in January that "Marco Rubio’s American dream is a woman’s worst nightmare."

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Cruz attacks Rubio on Planned Parenthood
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 03:11:16 am »
Cruz defending his 2nd place position against Rubio, not attacking 1st place Trump.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 03:23:36 am »
Cruz defending his 2nd place position against Rubio, not attacking 1st place Trump.

Cruz is as slimy as Trump. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 04:18:15 am »
Cruz is attacking both Trump and Rubio.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOYcCsFTqAc

From my perspective, it looks like Cruz will do whatever he has to win the nomination, and I think he has been running an effective campaign.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 05:45:55 am »
The circular firing squad continues. We were told once that we had the strongest group of Republican candidates in our lifetimes to choose from. Were we lied to?  All they seem to want to is destroy each other.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 05:53:09 am »
Cruz is attacking both Trump and Rubio.

From my perspective, it looks like Cruz will do whatever he has to win the nomination, and I think he has been running an effective campaign.
I guess we see what we want to see. That ad to me looks like desperation. Very low maturity.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 06:13:17 am »
The circular firing squad continues. We were told once that we had the strongest group of Republican candidates in our lifetimes to choose from. Were we lied to?  All they seem to want to is destroy each other.
It is crunch time.  This is to be expected.

Were we lied to?  No.  The GOP had a fantastic lineup.  Perry had an awesome resume.  Walker too.  Rubio, Paul, and Cruz were rising stars of conservatism.  Christie was a kingpin of NJ.  Governors Bush and Kasich were well positioned.

It all fell to the wayside under the glaring celebrity spotlight of Trump and rise of populism and anti-establishment animosity.  Mix in talkradio's need for ratings and the rat mainstream media screwing with us...we got played into poor choices.

The GOP primary voters were reliable in the past.  I knew they would pick Dole, and Dubya, and McCain, and Romney.  It made sense to me and most of the pundants.  Today I can honestly say I have no clue where we are headed.

Nobody lied to us.  Nobody, or few, foresaw this.  It doesn't make sense to most of the (formerly) reliable political analysts.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 06:17:07 am »
I guess we see what we want to see. That ad to me looks like desperation. Very low maturity.
OK.  Has low maturity hurt Trump or helped?
I see the ad and I laugh.  Ridicule can often be an effective attack.

Is there a mature attack against Trump that has not been deployed?

HonestJohn

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 04:34:17 pm »
It is crunch time.  This is to be expected.

Were we lied to?  No.  The GOP had a fantastic lineup.  Perry had an awesome resume.  Walker too.  Rubio, Paul, and Cruz were rising stars of conservatism.  Christie was a kingpin of NJ.  Governors Bush and Kasich were well positioned.

It all fell to the wayside under the glaring celebrity spotlight of Trump and rise of populism and anti-establishment animosity.  Mix in talkradio's need for ratings and the rat mainstream media screwing with us...we got played into poor choices.

The GOP primary voters were reliable in the past.  I knew they would pick Dole, and Dubya, and McCain, and Romney.  It made sense to me and most of the pundants.  Today I can honestly say I have no clue where we are headed.

Nobody lied to us.  Nobody, or few, foresaw this.  It doesn't make sense to most of the (formerly) reliable political analysts.

I don't think that conservative voters were played.  I think that this is actually what they want.  How long has the TOS been advocating that America should burn; to be replaced with a purer government?

And then we elected representatives that tried it, repeated threating the budget and our debt ceiling.  And eventually, we did shut it down.

But it didn't last, the government was re-opened.  Conservatives 'betrayed'. (And it's looking to be a repeat with next year's budget.)

So now that fantasy meme has taken root against the "GOPe".  Burn the party down.

(The liberal-leaning media is looking on, a bit shocked that their fantasy has come true.  But in no way are they going to try and stop it for us.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 04:35:26 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 04:43:11 pm »
The "were we lied to" comment above was meant to be tounge-in-cheek, a sign of my frustration of all of them trying to destroy the others conservatism credibility. Take away the Trump distraction, I do think we have the most conservatie selection than we had in years.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn