Author Topic: Not your everyday chopper mission  (Read 607 times)

Offline Paladin

Not your everyday chopper mission
« on: January 31, 2016, 01:24:05 am »
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Not your everyday chopper mission
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 01:31:40 am »
 :thumbsup:

Now THAT'S a guy who knows his girl inside out.

Thank you for sharing!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 01:47:37 am »

I am immeasurably impressed!  And I have some slight experience with that sort of thing. (Not the flying part.)
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 12:48:24 am »
I've seen this done more than once in the moutains of Laos and Cambodia. No place to actually land,so the  Huey pilots would sit down sidways on the slope with the skids on once side almost touching so the troops could jump in. Huey's couldn't lift off straight up in the air. They had to have forward movement to be able to climb.

The SVN AF helicopter pilots were flying the old "Kingbee" helicopters (H-34's,I THINK),and they had a little more freedom. They could climp straight up like a express elevator if they wanted. Their real weakness was only having a machine gun in the only door on the right side. Lots of times you would see the co-pilot leaning out a window and firing his 45 to keep the NVA away while they were loading.

Most people won't realize this,but there is a lot more to that photo than what is obvious. The thin mountain air really reduces the power of the engines and makes it much harder to maneuver at low speeds. It takes a deft touch to pull away from a mountain peak with a loaded helicopter. It ain't for beginners.

My hat is off to whoever it is flying that thing. He's taking a risk and testing his skills in order to save lives. There is no action more noble.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!