Author Topic: The DMC-12 is back. It is 1982 all over again.  (Read 1428 times)

Wingnut

The DMC-12 is back. It is 1982 all over again.
« on: January 28, 2016, 03:24:38 pm »

From the files of somethings are better left on the trash heap of history.  

Fans of the Original Delorean......... It  is Back from the Future as many as 300 will be built from old parts from the original plant shipped to Houston TX

After 35 years, the DeLorean is making a comeback after DeLorean Motors recently announced that it will go back into production. For fans of Back to the Future, the company isn't going to be developing a brand-new car. Instead, they will go back into production of the 1982 DeLorean. CEO Stephen Wynne said, "It's fantastic. It's a game-changer for us. We've been wanting this to happen." Wynne and DeLorean Motors also said that they will manufacture the cars on American Soil for the first time. They plan to build about 300 cars and hope to retail them at $100,000.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uB4qbSIYIs

The DMC-12 looked fast, but anyone who got behind the wheel quickly learned that the car was dreadfully slow. For starters, the car’s small engine only produced 130 horsepower, and the stainless steel paneling that gave it such a distinct appearance was heavy. Thanks to its high weight and puny engine, the exotic car could only groan from 0 to 60 in a sluggish 10.5 seconds.

The DeLorean DMC-12 didn’t just earn poor grades for performance, either. The dye from the floor mats would rub off onto drivers’ shoes. The iconic gull-wing doors had a habit of becoming hopelessly stuck. The unpainted stainless steel body looked really cool, but it was nearly impossible to keep clean. In other words, the car wasn’t fun to drive, wasn’t pleasant to ride in, and was almost always dirty. What a combo!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: The DMC-12 is back. It is 1982 all over again.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 02:17:22 am »
Bump, see people do read your articles. :)

I would buy one of these in a heartbeat. Drop an LS engine in it and maybe you can finally get some decent power  in one of those. The factory ones barely could get up to 88.

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 02:20:09 am »

I would buy one of these in a heartbeat. Drop an LS engine in it and maybe you can finally get some decent power  in one of those. The factory ones barely could get up to 88.

I'm a huge fan of the LS(x) engines!   They all rock!

LOL   Thanks for picking the scab off this oldie!   

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 02:30:17 am »

I've seen them used for a few thousand dollars before.   Probably can't find them at that price anymore,  but still you could get a used one,  and people might think it's one of these New Old Stock cars.   

$100 K for a car?   I'll pass.    I'm a cheap skate and I don't feel compelled to look cool going down the road. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline ABX

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 02:31:12 am »
Are you ready to drool?

Offline Crazieman

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 02:37:14 am »
Oooh
Mixed-race Mutt.
Your racist accusations are invalid.

Start thinking Constitutionally and stop thinking in groups.

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 02:42:02 am »
Oh yeah!     wonder what the HP was on the Dyno.  My 99 WS6 A4 LS1 Formula  put 298 HP to the Rear Wheels.

Offline ABX

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 02:45:47 am »
Oh yeah!     wonder what the HP was on the Dyno.  My 99 WS6 A4 LS1 Formula  put 298 HP to the Rear Wheels.

My how times have changed. My Volvo S60 Polestar with a 5 cylinder, and Volvo's infamous low power, is 367 according to the certificate (never tested that on a dyno). And that's nothing compared to BMW's M series or Mercedes AMG.

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 02:59:38 am »
My how times have changed. My Volvo S60 Polestar with a 5 cylinder, and Volvo's infamous low power, is 367 according to the certificate (never tested that on a dyno). And that's nothing compared to BMW's M series or Mercedes AMG.

LOL.  That was heady stuff back then compared to the dead years.  I remember a bunch of F-Body guys worked out a deal with a local shop in Duluth Ga for 3 pulls for 50 bucks.  We had about 25 cars there including a handfull of 97 and 98 vettes that had the very 1st LS1 V8's in them.    Now remember... this was still a time when GM never let another car to have more advertised HP than the flagship sports car. The LS1V8 F-Body cars were supposed to be "detuned" and have a more restrictive exhaust so to produce less HP than the Vettes.   

At the pull I remember every single  unmodded Camaro SS and Trans Am put down better numbers than the Vette.   Man those guys were pissed.

Offline Crazieman

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 03:15:49 am »
How does one determine if they have a first edition LS1? Pretty sure mine has one.
Mixed-race Mutt.
Your racist accusations are invalid.

Start thinking Constitutionally and stop thinking in groups.

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 03:29:52 am »
How does one determine if they have a first edition LS1? Pretty sure mine has one.

The 1st LS1 came in the 97 Vettes then in 98 GM okayed them for use Camaro z-28 and SS and the Firebird Formula and Trans Am.   You can identify the early F-body LS1's  as they came with factory Stainless steel Exhaust Manifolds and a cable driven throttle body.  In 2000 they switched to cast iron and drive by wire.