Author Topic: To the man I sat next to on the train: I am the gun owner you hate  (Read 4940 times)

Offline mountaineer

To the man I sat next to on the train: I am the gun owner you hate (letter to the Boston Globe)
   January 08, 2016

To the man I sat next to on my way in to Boston:

When I boarded the commuter rail, you were already in the midst of a spirited phone conversation and didn’t seem to care about how loud you were talking. You were talking with someone about the Paris train attack and the growing epidemic of gun violence in America.

You spoke about the “murderous NRA” and “bloodthirsty gun nuts” who were causing our schools to “run red with blood.” You spoke profanely of the Republicans who opposed President Obama’s call for “sensible gun control,” and you lamented the number of “inbred redneck politicians” who have “infiltrated Capitol Hill.”

I found myself amazed at the irony of the situation. While you were spewing your venom, I sat quietly next to you with my National Rifle Association membership card in my wallet and my 9mm pistol in its holster. You were only 12 inches away from my legally owned semiautomatic pistol. I suppose I didn’t look like the “bloodthirsty gun nut” you thought I should be. It apparently didn’t register to you that I could so cleverly disguise myself by wearing a fleece coat, Patriots hat, and khakis.

So, to the angry liberal who sat next to me on the commuter rail: I don’t hate you. I don’t have any ill feelings toward you. I don’t wish to do you harm. And I don’t regret sitting next to you. On the contrary; I feel bad for you. It must hurt carrying that much hate inside of you.

You obviously have strong opinions about this hot topic. So, let me say this as plainly as I can: If a bad guy with a gun had decided to walk onto that train and start shooting people, I would have been prepared and able to use my gun to defend my own life and the lives of everyone else on that train, including yours. Although you may hate me, a gun owner, I would risk my life for you.

Opinions and ideologies make a pretty thin shield against the bullets of a madman. Your liberal self-righteousness and ignorance may have made you feel superior and comfortable, but during that 40-minute train ride to Boston, my gun kept you safe.

A. Linden

Dighton
:patriot:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: To the man I sat next to on the train: I am the gun owner you hate
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:14:21 pm »
This is a choice that each of us needs to make on our own.   For every household that's been broken apart because of an armed robbery or home invasion that could perhaps have been prevented by gun ownership,  there are significantly more broken apart by a gun accident or the use of a gun to commit suicide.

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 06:31:46 pm »
 *hmmmm*

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 07:16:48 pm »
*hmmmm*

To be clear, mountaineer, I support the Second Amendment, including the Heller Court's conclusion that it is a right derived from the natural right of individual self-defense.   But as for myself,  I think my home is safer without guns.

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 07:57:41 pm »
This is a choice that each of us needs to make on our own.   For every household that's been broken apart because of an armed robbery or home invasion that could perhaps have been prevented by gun ownership,  there are significantly more broken apart by a gun accident or the use of a gun to commit suicide.

Tripe pure tripe.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 08:02:50 pm »
Tripe pure tripe.

USDA Grade A Tripe.

That's the exact same thing my ultra-liberal friends say.   :pondering:

They have safety mechanisms to keep gun access from children - if I had children I would use them.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 08:13:02 pm »
Tripe pure tripe.

But the statistics DO prove me correct.   Home invasions are rare things; suicides, not so much. 

But if you think guns in your home are right for you, then solid.  Do not mistake me for a gun-grabber.   

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 08:27:21 pm »
But the statistics DO prove me correct.   Home invasions are rare things; suicides, not so much. 

But if you think guns in your home are right for you, then solid.  Do not mistake me for a gun-grabber.
I do not mistake you for a gun-grabber. Just someone who has been drinking the kool-aid of the anti-gun agenda types. Look I live with one. They watched obamas gun town hall and said everything obama said was spot on. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 08:41:56 pm »
To be clear, mountaineer, I support the Second Amendment, including the Heller Court's conclusion that it is a right derived from the natural right of individual self-defense.   But as for myself,  I think my home is safer without guns.

So what is the main concern? Suicide?

If so, be sure to remove all ropes, pills, poisons, knives, guns of course, vehicles, tall buildings, mind altering substances, etc. etc.

Do not allow the subject to go out for walks, lest they intentionally step in front of fast moving cars, trucks, buses, trains etc.

Guns don't kill, people do. We need people control, BEFORE more gun control.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 08:42:53 pm »
Statistics aren't "kool aid", flowers.   They are facts,  which one can either accept or ignore.  Millions of folks enjoy the shooting sports, and they have right to do so.   They also have the right to keep a gun in the home for protection.  But the statistics show that a gun in the home does not make it safer.  Guns facilitate suicide,  and that is an outcome that I wish no father to have to confront with respect to one's child or loved one.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 08:47:38 pm »

If so, be sure to remove all ropes, pills, poisons, knives, guns of course, vehicles, tall buildings, mind altering substances, etc. etc.

Do not allow the subject to go out for walks, lest they intentionally step in front of fast moving cars, trucks, buses, trains etc.

I'm not advocating gun control; I'm an advocate for personal liberty.    I'm just saying that it is quite rational to conclude that a gun in the home may be an invitation to tragedy.   And statistics show a gun in the home is far more likely to used to bring about the death of a loved one than to stop a home invasion.

If you own a gun or multiple guns, then have fun and stay safe.  But the cost-benefit analysis just doesn't work for me.         

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 08:50:42 pm »
Then I guess we should hope your home is not invaded by people who would harm you and are confident you won't fight back.

Offline flowers

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 09:04:49 pm »
Statistics aren't "kool aid", flowers.   They are facts,  which one can either accept or ignore.  Millions of folks enjoy the shooting sports, and they have right to do so.   They also have the right to keep a gun in the home for protection.  But the statistics show that a gun in the home does not make it safer.  Guns facilitate suicide,  and that is an outcome that I wish no father to have to confront with respect to one's child or loved one.
Well we will disagree Jazzhead. I have watched for many decades how this government works. The past 7 years have taught me a few things. They lie for a agenda. "kool aid" if you will.  You will not ever get me to believe otherwise. They lie. Look at their stats for Global Warming just to mention one other.

Global warming, gun control. All part of the lies they spew out for a agenda. Sadly you and millions of others believe them.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 09:06:19 pm »

• Firearm homicide accounted for 35 percent of firearm deaths in 2010, the lowest share since 1981, the first year for which the Centers for Disease Control published data.
  • Suicides with guns (19,392 in 2010) are more common that homicides (11,078). However, the worldwide per capita suicide rate is fairly static. The suicide rate of the U.S. is lower than many industrial countries, including many where private gun ownership is banned.
  • Firearm misuse causes only a small number of accidental deaths in the U.S. For example, compared to being accidentally killed by a firearm, you are:
  • • Five times more likely to burn to death
    • Five times more likely to drown
    • 17 times more likely to be poisoned
    • 17 times more likely to fall to your death
    • And 68 times more likely to die in an automobile accident
  • 90% of all violent crimes in the U.S. do not involve firearms of any type.
  • Fewer than 1% of firearms of any type will ever be used in the commission of a crime.
  • Two-thirds of the people who die each year from gunfire are criminals being shot by other criminals.
You just think you are safer in a home without a gun. When you need one and don't have one, you'll wish you did. I have two pistols in my nightstand and a shotgun behind the door.

Why? Because when seconds count, I know that the police are minutes away.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline flowers

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 09:07:16 pm »

We need to take over and control this lawless fed gov way before thinking of any type of gun control.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 09:19:18 pm »

I am having a running debate with a personal friend. He states the US has many people in prison, we are violent, we were born of violence, etc.

I reminded him and will continue to remind him, that if we took blacks and central Americans out of our violence statistics, we would appear near other European nations.

Our stats are driven off the chart, NOT by law abiding European Americans, but by minorities.

PC prevents us of openly bringing this up, however.

Because of the inner city thugs, Obama wants to restrict suburban whites from gun ownership-possession.

I reminded this friend, that 14 people got killed in San Bernardino because

1. Nobody on the "good guy" side had a gun, and

2. The FedGov did NOT protect us by keeping the terrorist wife from entry

He started rambling about the chaos we would have in our inner cities if everybody had open or concealed carry. I told him they already do have concealed. Just not legal.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 09:26:52 pm »
  • Firearm homicide accounted for 35 percent of firearm deaths in 2010, the lowest share since 1981, the first year for which the Centers for Disease Control published data.
  • Suicides with guns (19,392 in 2010) are more common that homicides (11,078). However, the worldwide per capita suicide rate is fairly static. The suicide rate of the U.S. is lower than many industrial countries, including many where private gun ownership is banned.
  • Firearm misuse causes only a small number of accidental deaths in the U.S. For example, compared to being accidentally killed by a firearm, you are:
  • • Five times more likely to burn to death
    • Five times more likely to drown
    • 17 times more likely to be poisoned
    • 17 times more likely to fall to your death
    • And 68 times more likely to die in an automobile accident
  • 90% of all violent crimes in the U.S. do not involve firearms of any type.
  • Fewer than 1% of firearms of any type will ever be used in the commission of a crime.
  • Two-thirds of the people who die each year from gunfire are criminals being shot by other criminals.
You just think you are safer in a home without a gun. When you need one and don't have one, you'll wish you did. I have two pistols in my nightstand and a shotgun behind the door.

Why? Because when seconds count, I know that the police are minutes away.

Likewise here.  My house is pretty well secured, but a huge and growing concern for me is my safety when I leave the house.  That's where you're most apt to be attacked.  I would recommend that everyone that is able, obtain your permit and CARRY.  We all need to - it's getting WILD out there!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 09:27:07 pm »

Wholly without any base in actual fact. Please learn you feelings are not facts.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 09:30:55 pm »
I'm not advocating gun control; I'm an advocate for personal liberty.    I'm just saying that it is quite rational to conclude that a gun in the home may be an invitation to tragedy.  And statistics show a gun in the home is far more likely to used to bring about the death of a loved one than to stop a home invasion.

If you own a gun or multiple guns, then have fun and stay safe.  But the cost-benefit analysis just doesn't work for me.       

Put up or shut up. The "Koolaid" drinker here is you.  Learn the facts for a change instead of mindlessly drinking the koolaid JZ.

http://www.gunfacts.info/gun-control-myths/crime-and-guns/

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 09:37:10 pm »
Dude doesn't want a gun in the house, he doesn't want a gun in the house.

His choice, right?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 09:45:19 pm »
Put up or shut up. The "Koolaid" drinker here is you.  Learn the facts for a change instead of mindlessly drinking the koolaid JZ.

http://www.gunfacts.info/gun-control-myths/crime-and-guns/
Hmmm....sure it isn't kool-aid? Wow my spelling is just awful these days. 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 10:45:33 pm »
Dude doesn't want a gun in the house, he doesn't want a gun in the house.

His choice, right?
No one said it wasn't his choice. Every choice has consequences.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 10:54:47 pm »
No one said it wasn't his choice. Every choice has consequences.

True, dat.

Still, no skin gets removed from my nose if he has a break in and needs a gun.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 12:27:00 am »

Cut me a flippin' break.  I don't want to take your guns away.  Just because I assess risk differently than you doesn't mean I'm "mindlessly" drinking Kool-Aid.

Calm down and acknowledge there's a reasonable middle out there, who don't fetishize guns and who conduct a risk/reward analysis before allowing an instant killing device in their home.   Keep and enjoy your guns - and take the chip off your shoulder. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 12:35:19 am »
  All part of the lies they spew out for a agenda. Sadly you and millions of others believe them.

What lies?   That guns aren't a supremely convenient and easy way to turn a transient depression or momentary flash of emotional anger into something that can't ever be reversed?   I have no agenda to take your guns away, and I vote Republican, so I don't support politicians who do.   But it's not an "agenda" to point out that, yes, people kill people, and guns make it all a hell of a lot easier.   
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 12:36:03 am by Jazzhead »