Author Topic: Obituaries for 2016  (Read 142949 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Obituaries for 2016
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2016, 10:50:31 pm »
Maurice White, founder of Earth, Wind & Fire, dies at 74

A native of Memphis, Tennessee, White began his career in Chicago as a session drummer, including for The Pharaohs, Young-Holt Unlimited and the Ramsey Lewis Trio, the latter two of which recorded a number of hits during White's tenure with those bands. In 1969, he moved to Los Angeles, recruited Wade Flemons and Don Whitehead, and formed Earth, Wind & Fire. Earth, Wind & Fire was both critically and commercially successful, and White continued to be a member of the band until being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in the late 1980s, at which point he stopped touring but remained active in the studio.

Report from TMZ

Wikipedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=god7hAPv8f0
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2016, 11:09:13 pm »
Sadness again, another of my favorites passing on.  RIP Maurice White.  EW&F made incredible happy, sexy and life-affirming music.   8888crybaby

Serpentine Fire!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoI1XPqXQ90

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2016, 11:16:38 pm »
Sadness again, another of my favorites passing on.  RIP Maurice White.  EW&F made incredible happy, sexy and life-affirming music.   8888crybaby

Serpentine Fire!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoI1XPqXQ90
Did they do a song called Fire?

Offline flowers

« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2016, 11:17:20 pm »
Shinning Star another great song. Enjoyed them

Offline flowers

« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2016, 11:20:58 pm »

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2016, 11:28:19 pm »

Offline flowers

« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2016, 11:34:54 pm »
I couldn't find one.

Another one of my favorites:

"September"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk&list=PLrrWWJCP6a4igq2k8qy75FUfb1bhm1p7j&index=1
I tried to find it. It must be another band. maybe it will come to me at some point.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2016, 12:02:51 am »
Flower, are you thinking of the Ohio Players?

In any event, Earth, Wind and Fire were a wonderful band.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2016, 12:14:30 am »
I couldn't find one.

Another one of my favorites:

"September"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk&list=PLrrWWJCP6a4igq2k8qy75FUfb1bhm1p7j&index=1

One of my very, very favorite songs.  I can't hold still when I'm listening to it, and I just have to conduct the screaming trumpets at the end.  ^-^

I LOVE that song!!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2016, 12:24:21 am »
Did they do a song called Fire?

Mountaineer is right - it was the Ohio Players.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2016, 12:28:42 am »
Joe Alaskey, impressionist and voice actor for Warner Bros., dies at 63

When Mel Blanc, the legendary "Man of a Thousand Voices" who provided voices for most of Warner Bros.' characters, died in 1989, Alaskey was hired as one of his successors—coincidentally, this was about the same time the studio was about to enter a revival. Alaskey and Jeff Bergman split Blanc's famous roles throughout a large number of programs in the 1990s. Alaskey would later take on other roles after someone's death: when David Doyle, the voice of Grandpa Lou Pickles on the hit cartoon Rugrats, died in 1997, Alaskey took on that role as well and held it to the end of the series' run, and when an ailing Jackie Gleason was in the process of restoring lost episodes of The Honeymooners for release, he hired Alaskey to do the voiceovers to replace damaged audio tracks.

Alaskey died of cancer on Wednesday.

Obituary from the Los Angeles Times

Wikipedia

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2016, 12:22:51 pm »
One of my very, very favorite songs.  I can't hold still when I'm listening to it, and I just have to conduct the screaming trumpets at the end.  ^-^

I LOVE that song!!

Saw Earth, Wind and Fire several times in my life.  A remarkable group that put on a helluva show.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2016, 01:53:47 pm »
Saw Earth, Wind and Fire several times in my life.  A remarkable group that put on a helluva show.

I'll bet they did!

The closest I ever got to them was buying their albums.  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline flowers

« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2016, 04:52:45 pm »
Flower, are you thinking of the Ohio Players?

In any event, Earth, Wind and Fire were a wonderful band.
Yes it is that band. Remembered the name earlier this morning. Still  EW&F good band.

Offline flowers

« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2016, 06:12:07 pm »
Did suicidal BMX legend Dave Mirra have CTE? Officials suggest extreme sports star, 41, was suffering brain disease from a lifetime of hard crashes before he shot himself

Dave Mirra was found dead in his truck of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound on Thursday afternoon in Greenville, North Carolina
    The 41-year-old BMX legend, who hosted two seasons of Real World/Road Rules Challenge, leaves behind a wife and two daughters
    Mirra posted two Instagram photos shortly before he killed himself, one of him and his wife and a photo of himself riding his bike
    'My rock! Thank god,' wrote Mirra alongside the photo of his wife
    He was discovered in his car less than 1,000 feet from a local high school
    At a press conference on Friday, the town's mayor suggested that a 'rugged sports career' had an adverse effect on Mirra's mental health
    The condition CTE has been in the news lately as researchers look for a connection between sports injuries and depression
    Mirra was one of the most successful X-Games athletes of all time thanks to his BMX talents, winning 24 medals during his career

So young. he was fun to watch. great talent on the bike. sad.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:14:38 pm by flowers »

Offline Paladin

« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2016, 06:52:54 am »
"Apollo Astronaut Edgar Mitchell Dies at 85, One Day Before 45th Anniversary of His Lunar Landing"

"MIAMI (AP) — Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell, who became the sixth man on the moon when he and Alan Shepard helped NASA recover from Apollo 13′s “successful failure” and later devoted his life to exploring the mind, physics and unexplained phenomena such as psychics and aliens, has died in Florida. He was 85.

Mitchell died Thursday night at a West Palm Beach hospice after a short illness, his daughter, Kimberly Mitchell, said. Mitchell’s passing coincides with the 45th anniversary of the Apollo 14 mission from Jan. 31-Feb. 9, 1971."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/02/05/apollo-astronaut-edgar-mitchell-dies-at-85-one-day-before-45th-anniversary-of-his-lunar-landing/
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2016, 02:49:27 am »
Sam Spence, composer for NFL Films, dies at 88

You may not recognize the name, but if you have ever watched a classic NFL Films production, you have heard the music of Sam Spence. Spence wrote a large number of orchestral pieces for NFL Films, which became an integral part of the company's style: a slow-motion, tight-on-the-spiral cinematography coupled with Spence's dramatic compositions.

Developing...

Wikipedia

"Autumn Thunder" by Sam Spence
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 02:50:43 am by jmyrlefuller »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2016, 03:12:36 am »
James 'Red' Moore, Negro League legend passes away at 99

James "Red " Moore, a long-time first baseman in the Negro Leagues, passed away in Atlanta, Georgia on February 6, 2016. He was 99.

Born November 18, 1916 in Atlanta, Moore developed his talents at Booker T. Washington High School. His exploits in the field and at the plate attracted the attention of the Chattanooga Choo Choos of the Negro Southern League in 1935. Word of his play at first base spread through the league and he was picked up by the famed Newark Eagles of the Negro National League in 1936. He joined an infield that earned the nickname of "The Million Dollar Infield," which included Hall of Famers Willie Wells at shortstop and Ray Dandridge at third base.
More

Wikipedia

Homepage

Offline Paladin

« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2016, 04:47:40 am »
Vanity Dead at 57, Prince Protege Known for ‘Nasty Girl’

Singer had battled kidney failure and abdominal illness

Vanity, a former protege of Prince’s and a member of Vanity 6, has died at age 57, TMZ reports...

Matthews struggled with drug abuse, which took its toll on her health. At one point she suffered renal failure and, according to a Jet feature on the singer, required peritoneal dialysis five times a day.

Following a 1994 crack cocaine overdose that left her with near-renal failure, Matthews renounced her stage name and became a born-again Christian, at one point saying, “When I came to the Lord Jesus Christ, I threw out about 1,000 tapes of mine — every interview, every tape, every video. Everything.” Following a 1997 kidney transplant, she devoted herself to evangelism, speaking at churches.

http://www.thewrap.com/prince-protege-vanity-dead-at-57/
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2016, 05:32:44 am »
Wow, I was just going thru alot of Prince protege and similar music just a couple of nights ago on Youtube, thinking about back in the day. Sad to see her go, but glad she went with Jesus.
The Republic is lost.

Offline flowers

« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2016, 04:43:34 pm »
Vanity Dead at 57, Prince Protege Known for ‘Nasty Girl’

Singer had battled kidney failure and abdominal illness

Vanity, a former protege of Prince’s and a member of Vanity 6, has died at age 57, TMZ reports...

Matthews struggled with drug abuse, which took its toll on her health. At one point she suffered renal failure and, according to a Jet feature on the singer, required peritoneal dialysis five times a day.

Following a 1994 crack cocaine overdose that left her with near-renal failure, Matthews renounced her stage name and became a born-again Christian, at one point saying, “When I came to the Lord Jesus Christ, I threw out about 1,000 tapes of mine — every interview, every tape, every video. Everything.” Following a 1997 kidney transplant, she devoted herself to evangelism, speaking at churches.

http://www.thewrap.com/prince-protege-vanity-dead-at-57/
Wow. 

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2016, 04:58:40 pm »
We have just learned that former United Nations Secretary General Boutros Boutros-Ghali has died at the age of 93.

Ghali served as the 6th U.N. Secretary General from 1992-1996 and grew up in Cairo, Egypt.

From Fox News:

Former U.N. Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali has died, the U.N. Security Council announced Tuesday, according to The Associated Press.

Boutros-Ghali, who was 93, died in a Cairo hospital, Egyptian media reported.

Boutros-Ghali, an Egyptian, served one five-year term as U.N. chief between 1992 and 1996. The Security Council held a one-minute moment of silence Tuesday after his death was announced by Venezuela’s U.N. Ambassador Rafael Ramirez, the current council president, Reuters reports.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi reportedly phone Boutros-Ghali on Thursday to thank him for his work on behalf of Egypt and to wish him a speedy recovery.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2016, 05:06:12 pm »
Boutros Boutros-Ghali was a Coptic Christian.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2016, 06:12:05 pm »
Boutros Boutros-Ghali

Or as Rush called him, Boutros Boutros By Golly.  :laugh:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2016, 04:20:48 pm »
Author Harper Lee dies at 89

As a novelist, Lee only wrote two novels, her most famous being 1960's To Kill a Mockingbird, later made into a film of the same name. The second novel, Go Set a Watchman, was written in the 1950s but went unreleased until 2015.

Lee was also close friends with Truman Capote, and the character of Dill in To Kill a Mockingbird was based on Capote. Lee assisted Capote in researching In Cold Blood. After that, she went into self-imposed seculsion for the rest of her life, occasionally starting and abandoning a few writing projects over the course of her retirement. She died of various causes due to old age at her home in Alabama.

Death notice

Wikipedia