Author Topic: Obituaries for 2016  (Read 142950 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Obituaries for 2016
« on: January 01, 2016, 03:22:14 pm »
Another year, another thread.

May it not be quite so long as last years!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Obituaries for 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 04:34:20 pm »
Another year, another thread.

May it not be quite so long as last years!

:amen:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 06:53:42 pm »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 12:39:37 am »
Dale Bumpers, Liberal Stalwart of Arkansas Politics, Dies at 90

Dale L. Bumpers, a liberal governor and four-term Democratic senator from Arkansas who came out of retirement in 1999 to make a passionate closing argument defending President Bill Clinton against removal from office in a Senate trial, died on Friday at his home in Little Rock, Ark. He was 90.

His death was confirmed by his granddaughter Linn Bumpers.

Mr. Bumpers was part of a generation of moderate Southern Democrats, among them President Jimmy Carter, who emerged in the late 1960s and the '70s. He always said his proudest achievement had come early in his career when, as a small-town lawyer in the 1950s, he guided his native Charleston, Ark., to become the first community of the former Confederacy to integrate its public schools.

But he is remembered more for what he did in the twilight of his career.

Three weeks after retiring from the Senate, he returned on Jan. 21, 1999, to speak to his former colleagues on behalf of Mr. Clinton, a fellow former governor of Arkansas. The House had charged the president with perjury and obstruction of justice for lying under oath about his sexual affair with a White House intern, Monica Lewinsky.
More

Wikipedia

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 01:31:00 am »
Gilbert Kaplan, conductor - obituary

Gilbert Kaplan, who has died aged 74, was an American economist, journalist and businessman who came to wider attention through his determination to be an orchestral conductor and in particular his obsession with Gustav Mahler's Symphony No 2 (the Resurrection), a work that he conducted on more than 100 occasions.

Some saw him as a charlatan, a Wall Street millionaire who had "bought" his way on to the podium with his lavish donations to impecunious orchestras. Others felt that he offered a fresh insight into the music, unsullied by a traditional approach to interpretation and the institutionalised training of the conservatoire system.
More

Wikipedia

Offline Paladin

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 06:46:33 am »
Bee Gees manager Robert Stigwood dies at 81

LONDON (AP) — Robert Stigwood, the impresario who managed the Bee Gees and produced 1970s blockbusters "Grease" and "Saturday Night Fever," has died. He was 81.

Stigwood's office said he died Monday. The cause of death was not announced.

Born in Adelaide, Australia, in 1934, Stigwood moved to Britain in the 1950s and soon became an astute player in Britain's embryonic rock music industry.

In the 1960s he managed rock super group Cream and its guitarist Eric Clapton before signing brothers Barry, Maurice and Robin Gibb, collectively known as the Bee Gees, whose melodic folk-rock achieved late-'60s success before a career slump."

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/bee-gees-manager-robert-stigwood-dies-81

In producing "Saturday Night Fever" Stigwood parlayed the success of that movie by incorporating the music of his own managed Bee Gees. He made a fortune by combining the two.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 07:05:12 am »

David Bowie has died after a battle with cancer, his rep confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

"David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer.

While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family's privacy during their time of grief," read a statement posted on the artist's official social media accounts.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/david-bowie-dead-legendary-artist-854364
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 07:18:18 am »
Oh, I hate to hear that.  What a talented man he was.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 11:37:47 am »
David Bowie has died after a battle with cancer, his representative confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

“David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief,” read a statement posted on the artist’s official social media accounts.

The influential singer-songwriter and producer dabbled in glam rock, art rock, soul, hard rock, dance pop, punk and electronica during his eclectic 40-plus-year career.

Bowie’s artistic breakthrough came with 1972’s The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, an album that fostered the notion of rock star as space alien. Fusing British mod with Japanese kabuki styles and rock with theater, Bowie created the flamboyant, androgynous alter ego Ziggy Stardust.

Three years later, Bowie achieved his first major American crossover success with the No. 1 single “Fame” off the top 10 album Young Americans, then followed with the 1976 avant-garde art rock LP Station to Station, which made it to No. 3 on the charts and featured top 10 hit “Golden Years.”

Other memorable songs included 1983’s “Let’s Dance” — his only other No. 1 U.S. hit — “Space Oddity,” “Heroes,” “Changes,” “Under Pressure,” “China Girl,” “Modern Love,” “Rebel, Rebel,” “All the Young Dudes,” “Panic in Detroit,” “Fashion,” “Life on Mars,” “Suffragette City” and a 1977 Christmas medley with Bing Crosby.

With his different-colored eyes (the result of a schoolyard fight) and needlelike frame, Bowie was a natural to segue from music into curious movie roles, and he starred as an alien seeking help for his dying planet in Nicolas Roeg’s surreal The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976). Critics later applauded his three-month Broadway stint as the misshapen lead in 1980’s The Elephant Man.

Bowie also starred in Marlene Dietrich’s last film, Just a Gigolo (1978), portrayed a World War II prisoner of war in Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (1983), and played Pontius Pilate in Martin Scorsese’s The Last Temptation of Christ (1988). And in another groundbreaking move, Bowie, who always embraced technology, became the first rock star to morph into an Internet Service Provider with the launch in September 1998 of BowieNet.

Born David Jones in London on Jan. 8, 1947, Bowie changed his name in 1966 after The Monkees’ Davy Jones achieved stardom. He played saxophone and started a mime company, and after stints in several bands he signed with Mercury Records, which in 1969 released his album Man of Words, Man of Music, which featured “Space Oddity,” a poignant song about an astronaut, Major Tom, spiraling out of control.

In an attempt to stir interest in Ziggy Stardust, Bowie revealed in a January 1972 magazine interview that he was gay — though that might have been a publicity stunt — dyed his hair orange and began wearing women’s garb. The album became a sensation.

Wrote rock critic Robert Christgau: “This is audacious stuff right down to the stubborn wispiness of its sound, and Bowie’s actorly intonations add humor and shades of meaning to the words, which are often witty and rarely precious, offering an unusually candid and detailed vantage on the rock star’s world.”

Bowie changed gears in 1975. Becoming obsessed with the dance/funk sounds of Philadelphia, his self-proclaimed “plastic soul”-infused Young Americans peaked at No. 9 with the single “Fame,” which he co-wrote with John Lennon and guitarist Carlos Alomar.

After the soulful but colder Station to Station, Bowie again confounded expectations after settling in Germany by recording the atmospheric 1977 album Low, the first of his “Berlin Trilogy” collaborations with keyboardist Brian Eno.

In 1980, Bowie brought out Scary Monsters, which cast a nod to the Major Tom character from “Space Oddity” with the sequel “Ashes to Ashes.” He followed with Tonight in 1984 and Never Let Me Down in 1987 and collaborations with Queen, Mick Jagger, Tina Turner, The Pat Metheny Group and others. He formed the quartet Tin Machine (his brother Tony played drums), but the band didn’t garner much critical acclaim or commercial gain with two albums.

Bowie returned to a solo career with 1993’s Black Tie White Noise, which saw him return to work with his Spider From Mars guitarist Mick Ronson, then recorded 1995’s Outside with Eno and toured with Nine Inch Nails as his opening act. He returned to the studio in 1996 to record the techno-influenced Earthling. Two more albums, 1999’s hours … and 2002’s Heathen, followed.

Bowie also produced albums for, among others, Lou Reed, The Stooges and Moot the Hoople, for which he wrote the song “All the Young Dudes.” He earned a lifetime achievement Grammy Award in 2006.
Yahoo News
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 11:41:47 am »
NBC News
...    David Bowie, the rock and roll visionary whose career spanned six decades, died Sunday after a long battle with cancer. He was 69.

Bowie has released his 25th studio album, "Blackstar," to strong reviews on Friday. ...

Bowie's song "Lazarus" on newly released "Blackstar" — his 47th overall including live albums and compilations — features the lyric: "Look up here, I'm in heaven / I've got scars that can't be seen / I've got drama, can't be stolen / Everybody knows me now." ...

Bowie — who divorced Angela Barrett in 1980 — married the supermodel Iman in 1992, and they had one daughter, Alexandria Jones. He is also survived by his son, Duncan, from his first marriage.

Barrett is currently appearing on "Celebrity Big Brother" in Britain but the TV show's producers announced she would be "informed off camera today at the earliest opportunity."

Independent  (UK)
David Bowie's unexpected death from cancer at 69 has inspired a flood of tributes from the music world and sparked many to look more closely at his final song, “Lazarus”.

The track's haunting music video was released just last week, showing Bowie hospital-bound, lying on a deathbed with his eyes bandaged, writhing around and singing about being “free just like that bluebird”. So was the “Space Oddity” icon expressing his thoughts on his own imminent death with his swansong 27th album Blackstar?

It seems likely, the opening line of “Look up here, I'm in heaven” taking on poignant new meaning following the sad news confirmed on Monday morning.

Scenes of Bowie frantically writing while clearly heavily tormented are harrowing to watch in the video, which ends with the singer retreating into a wardrobe and closing the door behind him, seemingly bidding farewell as death finally comes for him.

Fans have been sharing the third verse's lyrics “This way or no way, you know I'll be free” in tributes on social media.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:40:11 pm by mountaineer »

Offline flowers

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 06:15:38 pm »
Very talented. One of my favorite songs he did was Fame.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 06:42:35 pm »
Very talented. One of my favorite songs he did was Fame.

He was.  I got to see him live waaaay back when.  Ziggy Stardust was my favorite album of his.

Offline flowers

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 06:57:45 pm »
He was.  I got to see him live waaaay back when.  Ziggy Stardust was my favorite album of his.
Yes he was a genius as far as making himself.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 07:04:17 pm »

I'm old fashioned, I still love the duet Bowie performed in 1977 with Bing Crosby on live television, Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADbJLo4x-tk

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 07:17:48 pm »
Go on Youtube and check out his parting "gifts" which are some very ghoulish, dark songs.

Probably made under the influence of strong pain meds, according to my wife and me. Here is one, titled "Lazarus:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JqH1M4Ya8

A final parting shot of art, about his own death
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 07:39:04 pm »
Way back when, he was in a band called the "King Bees" - with Davy Jones.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 07:50:55 pm »
I'm old fashioned, I still love the duet Bowie performed in 1977 with Bing Crosby on live television, Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy:

Me too.  That always brings tears to my eyes.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 08:00:45 pm »
Me too.  That always brings tears to my eyes.

What a classic moment. Thank God it's captured on tape. I want my grandchildren to see it (when my girls finally get on the ball and give me a few of the rug rats).

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 10:15:49 pm »
David Bowie, RIP (1947-2016)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYYRH4apXDo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYYRH4apXDo

Ground Control to Major Tom
Take your protein pills and put your helmet on
Ground Control to Major Tom (Ten, Nine, Eight, Seven, Six)
Commencing countdown, engines on (Five, Four, Three)
Check ignition and may God's love be with you (Two, One, Liftoff)

This is Ground Control to Major Tom
You've really made the grade
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare
"This is Major Tom to Ground Control
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today
For here
Am I sitting in a tin can
Far above the world
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Though I'm past one hundred thousand miles
I'm feeling very still
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go
Tell my wife I love her very much she knows
Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you "Here am I floating round my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do."

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 10:51:03 pm »

So sad...I can't believe he's gone.    8888crybaby
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 07:33:30 pm »
Former NFL player Lawrence Phillips dead after being found unresponsive in prison cell
By Adam Herbets, Eyewitness News
 Wednesday, January 13th 2016
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) — Former NFL player Lawrence Phillips, who was serving time in a California prison, is dead of suspected suicide.

He was found unresponsive in his cell early Wednesday at Kern Valley State Prison in Delano during a security check. Phillips was taken to an outside hospital, where he was declared dead.

KVSP said the death is suspected to be a suicide.

Phillips was charged with murdering his cellmate, Damion Soward, last year.

Phillips was serving a 31-year, four-month sentence out of San Diego County for inflicting great bodily injury involving domestic violence, corporal injury to spouse, false imprisonment and vehicle theft.

Officials at the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation can't reveal whether Phillips was on any sort of suicide watch because that would be a violation of HIPAA.

Dana Simas, a spokesperson for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, revealed that Phillips was housed in "administrative segregation," which is reserved for inmates who need to be kept away from other prisoners. Simas said this is common for an inmate who is facing allegations of murdering a cellmate.

Simas added that prisoners can be placed in special "suicide-prevention cells," especially if they are going through a mental health crisis. Those cells have special mattresses that cannot be ripped. Inmates in those cells would also be restricted from having personal property and are subject to more rigorous welfare checks. Phillips was not in a suicide-prevention cell.

Kern County District Attorney Lisa Green declined to comment about Phillips' death, because she is restricted by a judge who placed a gag order on the case last November.

Phillips was a star at the University of Nebraska before being drafted into the NFL, where he failed to find success. He played for the Miami Dolphins, St. Louis Rams and San Francisco 49ers.
link

EDIT TO ADD:  Suspected suicide

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:56:15 pm by mountaineer »

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 07:37:57 pm »
So sad...I can't believe he's gone.

I always thought he was extremely weird and creepy...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 07:50:39 pm »

It is the continued presence of people like him, coddled and given chance after chance, which keeps me uninterested in most pro sports these days.

Thug ball.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 08:04:35 pm »
It is the continued presence of people like him, coddled and given chance after chance, which keeps me uninterested in most pro sports these days.

Thug ball.
That, and using taxpayer dollars for pro teams' stadiums.  **nononono*

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 09:23:23 pm »
That, and using taxpayer dollars for pro teams' stadiums.  **nononono*
If a "public" stadium needs to go up, I have no problem with the govt. entity being involved with financing. I want the taxpayers repaid of course.

But I don't want downright criminals to play in the facility, paid millions.