Author Topic: Fire sweeps through Dubai skyscraper  (Read 1390 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Fire sweeps through Dubai skyscraper
« on: December 31, 2015, 07:28:58 pm »
A huge fire has broken out in a high-rise hotel in central Dubai close to the world's tallest skyscraper, the Burj Khalifa.

Burning debris could be seen falling from the 300m-tall (1,000-feet) building, called The Address, as firefighters arrived at the scene.

It was not immediately clear whether there were any casualties.

The blaze erupted ahead of a major New Year's Eve fireworks display, due to be held at the Burj Khalifa.

There is no indication so far of the cause.

Up to two million people are expected in central Dubai for the fireworks. Crowds gathering to watch the display have been asked to leave the area around the hotel.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35207451

Offline ABX

Re: Fire sweeps through Dubai skyscraper
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 07:30:27 pm »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 07:34:02 pm »
Wow.  I wonder what caused it, just in time for the New Years celebration.  I hope everybody got out in time.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline ABX

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 07:38:35 pm »
Wow.  I wonder what caused it, just in time for the New Years celebration.  I hope everybody got out in time.

I wonder that as well. Dubai is full of secular muslims (as opposed to moderate muslims) which are disliked as much as westerners other than for what money they can provide so terrorism was my first thought. It also is a major stop for international business people, especially in the oil business, as well as socialites who go for the over the top extravagance which could be a desired target. However, from what I understand, under all the glossy, high tech exterior, they have pretty lax building codes and rush their projects so it could be some sort of mechanical/electrical failure that got out of control. 

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 07:42:54 pm »
I wonder that as well. Dubai is full of secular muslims (as opposed to moderate muslims) which are disliked as much as westerners other than for what money they can provide so terrorism was my first thought. It also is a major stop for international business people, especially in the oil business, as well as socialites who go for the over the top extravagance which could be a desired target. However, from what I understand, under all the glossy, high tech exterior, they have pretty lax building codes and rush their projects so it could be some sort of mechanical/electrical failure that got out of control.

Yes.  I know that too.  I've read that they pretty much use slaves to build all of their blingy achievements and that they have to truck their sewage out to the desert.  Every time I see another new skyscraper there, I can't help but think of the Tower of Babel. 

Like you said, it could be terrorism or shoddy building. 

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 07:43:46 pm »
The fire appears to be a major involvement - throughout the building - was it unoccupied?  For a fire to travel that quickly throughout a high rise - especially one that is occupied - is highly unusual.

Modified to say, the first picture makes me think it traveled through a central elevator shaft...very, very quickly.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 07:44:56 pm by Scottftlc »
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline ABX

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 07:46:01 pm »
Yes.  I know that too.  I've read that they pretty much use slaves to build all of their blingy achievements and that they have to truck their sewage out to the desert.  Every time I see another new skyscraper there, I can't help but think of the Tower of Babel. 

Like you said, it could be terrorism or shoddy building.

From what I understand, their fire services are only equipped to handle fires up to 20 stories as well, a big challenge for them when they are pushing 100+ in many buildings.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 07:47:34 pm »
From what I understand, their fire services are only equipped to handle fires up to 20 stories as well, a big challenge for them when they are pushing 100+ in many buildings.

You couldn't pay me to go there.

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 07:48:40 pm »
  Fire service can do only 20 stories.....prime target.

Offline flowers

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 07:50:49 pm »
Panic in Dubai as revellers flee New Year's Eve party after massive fire rips though 63-storey hotel close to city's big firework display

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3380507/Fire-rips-Dubai-hotel-close-city-hold-New-Year-celebrations.html

New Year's revellers were sent running for their lives after a fire engulfed a five-star hotel just moments from where Dubai's spectacular fireworks display was due to begin.

The Address Downtown caught fire at about 9.30pm Dubai time, with the flames appearing to reach from the ground floor up another 40-or-so storeys of the 63 floor building.

A medic has revealed that at least 60 people were hurt - despite officials claiming there were no injuries.

The hotel would likely have been packed with people waiting in their rooms for the best view of the fireworks display at the Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest skyscraper, which sits just across the lake from The Address.

Those waiting below found themselves in danger of being struck by burning debris falling from the building.

Yes people where in building at the time of fire.

Offline ABX

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 07:54:18 pm »
The fire appears to be a major involvement - throughout the building - was it unoccupied?  For a fire to travel that quickly throughout a high rise - especially one that is occupied - is highly unusual.

Modified to say, the first picture makes me think it traveled through a central elevator shaft...very, very quickly.

It is a very popular hotel and luxury apartment complex that also has a major shopping mall attached to it. The way the fire is pillaring up in the middle made me wonder if they have a central bank of elevators or it has a hollow core for internal balconies like the Burj Al Arab, but from pictures, neither seem to be the case.

Offline ABX

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 07:57:19 pm »
You couldn't pay me to go there.

I won't lie, the Burj Al Arab is one of my bucket list hotels.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 08:01:04 pm »
Scary stuff. But the nye fireworks will go on, so there's that.   :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline ABX

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 08:06:23 pm »
Fox is showing NYE fireworks going off right next to the still burning hotel. American on the phone thinks everyone was able to get out. He was staying in the hotel.

Offline ABX

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 08:07:23 pm »
Dubai officials say it is 90% contained and over. They say no flames but American on the phone says he still sees flames.

(side note, don't go to a certain other site. Many are cheering it.. good grief)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:08:16 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 08:13:41 pm »
Scary stuff. But the nye fireworks will go on, so there's that.   :pondering:

Plus, an additional unplanned firework!

Offline ABX

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 08:27:57 pm »
Just reported, only 14 minor injuries and one fatality. The fatality was a heart attack during the evacuation.

Offline ABX

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 08:45:18 pm »
They are now saying the fire is external, on the cladding and not internal. It looks much worse than it actually was. The way the fire prevention in the building kept the fire from spreading internally, pushed the fire outward.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 08:49:25 pm »
(side note, don't go to a certain other site. Many are cheering it.. good grief)
:chairbang:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 09:05:20 pm »
Thanks for all the info AbaraXas.  Glad it's under control and people are now safe.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline flowers

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 09:17:58 pm »
They are now saying the fire is external, on the cladding and not internal. It looks much worse than it actually was. The way the fire prevention in the building kept the fire from spreading internally, pushed the fire outward.

Now it goes to the outside.....yikes that will surely go inside at some point. Only so much fire prevention will work if itself is on fire.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 09:25:34 pm »
Very scary. I have to admit that fire is one of my fears whenever I stay in a high-rise hotel.

Offline ABX

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2015, 09:29:20 pm »
Very scary. I have to admit that fire is one of my fears whenever I stay in a high-rise hotel.

I still walk the exits every time I check in. (ie, from my room, walk to all the exit stairs on my floor several times just so I have a bit of memory where they are).

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2015, 09:34:51 pm »
I won't lie, the Burj Al Arab is one of my bucket list hotels.

You can forget about that now.

The hotel is built in stages and levels. Repairing it after it is fully constructed, now, would be impossible. It will have to be torn down.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline ABX

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2015, 09:43:05 pm »
You can forget about that now.

The hotel is built in stages and levels. Repairing it after it is fully constructed, now, would be impossible. It will have to be torn down.

The Burj Arab isn't the one that burned. It is the famous 'sail' hotel. That was just a response to the discussion of traveling to Dubai.