Author Topic: What Happened to Carly Fiorina  (Read 2731 times)

Offline libertybele

What Happened to Carly Fiorina
« on: November 28, 2015, 05:52:10 pm »
Her poll numbers continue to slip and I'm wondering if she'll even make it to the main stage at the next debate. 

What happened to Carly Fiorina?

Whatever happened to Carly Fiorina?

After a series of standout debate performances, the former Hewlett-Packard executive has recently been all but invisible in the GOP 2016 field. At the same time, the super PAC working to be her ground army has struggled to turn early Fiorina fans into committed voters.

Fiorina’s polling has slipped from its September high, down from her one-time second-place standing in a CNN/ORC poll to 3% or 4% in recent surveys. Her media buzz is waning, too. After being mentioned 2,423 times in September on television programs largely thanks to a show-stopping debate performance midway through the month, her mentions lagged in October; even after another strong debate performance in Milwaukee earlier this month, the candidate has been mentioned just 1,145 times in November so far, according to closed caption records.

“She’s completely out of the conversation,” Republican strategist Susan Del Percio told MSNBC. “I was watching “Morning Joe” today, and they were talking about the outsiders and I didn’t even think of her – and they didn’t mention her. It’s like Ted Cruz took her spot.”

Indeed, as Fiorina struggles to revive her early momentum, former back-of-the-pack candidates like Cruz are rising. Indeed, Fiorina’s biggest hurdle in the race is just how much of an outsider she is. She lacks the cult-like following of fans and supporters who knew Donald Trump and Dr. Ben Carson ahead of their presidential bids; there’s a steep learning curve as followers get to know her – which few did before the first two debates – and it makes everything from the fundraising to the voter conversion that much more difficult.

Del Percio said she suspects cash flow – and the early-state infrastructure it can buy – may have limited Fiorina’s ability to capitalize on her early debate successes. According to Fiorina’s official fundraising reports, she has struggled to raise money – raking less than $2 million in the second quarter. It picked up in the third quarter when she raised $6.8 million. The good news for her campaign is she’s impressed GOP mega-donors Charles and David Koch: One of their political organizations, Americans for Prosperity, will feature her at an upcoming event in Nevada, giving her a chance to reach the group’s deep-pocketed donors and network of activists. She may even get a chance to impress the Koch brothers themselves, who have so far said they don’t have “plans” to endorse in the primary race.

Fiorina’s campaign won’t talk about staffing numbers in key early states, but on the ground the operation looks slim: she’s got a total of four visible campaign staffers on the ground in Iowa and New Hampshire – two in each state – and otherwise relies heavily on her super PAC for the ground game.

The group, CARLY for America, has got three times as many staffers in those two key early voting states. The group also handles the advance work for most of Fiorina’s events, staffing and taking signatures, putting up signs, and interfacing with supporters.

Asked about the campaign’s early state infrastructure, Deputy Campaign Manager Sarah Isgur Flores told MSNBC to talk to the super PAC. ”From our perspective, we think they are building a team that will be formidable,” in an email.

The strength of the super PAC has tested the limits of vague federal regulations designed to keep campaigns and independent groups separate; the group has already been scolded by the FEC for using the candidate’s name and calling itself Carly for America. In response, the group has changed its name to Conservative, Authentic, Responsive Leadership for You and for America – CARLY for America for short, of course.

Still, there are limits to what a super PAC can do for a campaign. It can’t pay for the candidate’s extensive travel, pick up the hefty fees to get on state ballots, and it can’t coordinate on messaging or divide and conquer outreach in early states. The big voter databases built by the super PAC stays with the group – unable to be accessed in any way by the campaign.

Fiorina sent out an video message to supporters this week arguing that the “political class” is working to keep “outsider candidates” off the ballot by charging big fees or requiring lots of paperwork. To be sure, those are the requirements for every candidate to get on the ballot – not just outsiders – but it’s a heavier load for a smaller campaign operation like Fiorina’s.

Meanwhile, Fiorina continues doing what’s gotten her this far: making personal appearances and speaking with the press, She did a half dozen national interview (five on Fox, one on MSNBC) as well as radio and regional television interviews last week, and she’s touring early states with an event-heavy schedule. She did swings in Wisconsin, Iowa, Pennsylvania, and New Hampshire this month; after the Thanksgiving holiday, she’ll head to South Carolina.

“We can’t change their rules, but what we can do is beat them at their own game,” Fiorina says in the video to supporters on Tuesday and she condemned the hurdles and costs her campaign will face to get her on the ballot.

But the candidate is down to the wire: she’s got over two months till the Iowa caucuses, where she’s going to have to overcome that game – and big odds – to win.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/what-happened-carly-fiorina
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: What Happened to Carly Fiorina
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 05:57:45 pm »
It really is amazing how she's dropped out of sight.   I think it's something as simple as the "likeability factor".   

Maybe she still has a shot at the VP slot.   :shrug:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 06:01:02 pm »
It really is amazing how she's dropped out of sight.   I think it's something as simple as the "likeability factor".   

She has been very active on her facebook page and going to events like the Luntz forum and Tech Crunch candidate Q&A in the past week, the media has just been completely ignoring her. It shows how much this is a media game more than anything. If they like you (even if they say they don't), they'll give you the attention. If they don't, you'll disappear.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 06:01:02 pm »

Exactly. Carly Fiorina is a brilliant orator, but lacks that certain 'something'.

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 06:01:58 pm »
She never had a chance. Some cannot stand the grate of her voice.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 06:08:39 pm »
She has been very active on her facebook page and going to events like the Luntz forum and Tech Crunch candidate Q&A in the past week, the media has just been completely ignoring her. It shows how much this is a media game more than anything. If they like you (even if they say they don't), they'll give you the attention. If they don't, you'll disappear.

Maybe.  But the media did cover her "event" when she registered for the NH primary.  It was sad, really.  No one came.  She answered one question from a child and left food for 100 untouched.

People just aren't connecting with her.  What's worse is few even appear curious about her.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 06:12:10 pm »
It would not surprise me, to learn she has the highest IQ of the lot. Very agile verbally, and it reflects a very sharp mind in her case.

But she'll be dogged by the merry band of resentful over-the-hill-over-paid-obsolete-tech-workers she had to let go. Just the type that think Trump will make their Fortran skills "great" once more.

And Trump has simply chewed up and wasted the available time for the other, to get seen and heard.  He has done a huge disservice to the party and to the process.

So in my final analysis, contemporary "conservatives" don't want a gentle, thoughtful lady thank you.

They want a loud, arrogant, boastful, person that doesn't even have much in terms of conservative beliefs and policies.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 06:20:15 pm »
It would not surprise me, to learn she has the highest IQ of the lot. Very agile verbally, and it reflects a very sharp mind in her case.

But she'll be dogged by the merry band of resentful over-the-hill-over-paid-obsolete-tech-workers she had to let go. Just the type that think Trump will make their Fortran skills "great" once more.

And Trump has simply chewed up and wasted the available time for the other, to get seen and heard.  He has done a huge disservice to the party and to the process.

So in my final analysis, contemporary "conservatives" don't want a gentle, thoughtful lady thank you.

They want a loud, arrogant, boastful, person that doesn't even have much in terms of conservative beliefs and policies.

To be fair..."a gentle, thoughtful lady" would be devoured and destroyed by the Clinton machine.  Being reserved and thoughtful does not work in 2015 America. We may not like that, but this country is a disaster, and becoming cruder and baser by the day. The leftist debasement of the country is quite advanced and you play the hand your dealt or you go home and hide underground.

I say this as one who actually likes Fiorina more than Trump. But like Lincoln needed Grant not McClellan, we need a street fighter to have a chance.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 06:24:28 pm »
To be fair..."a gentle, thoughtful lady" would be devoured and destroyed by the Clinton machine.  Being reserved and thoughtful does not work in 2015 America. We may not like that, but this country is a disaster, and becoming cruder and baser by the day. The leftist debasement of the country is quite advanced and you play the hand your dealt or you go home and hide underground.

I say this as one who actually likes Fiorina more than Trump. But like Lincoln needed Grant not McClellan, we need a street fighter to have a chance.
good post!

Offline Longiron

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 07:21:56 pm »
Exactly. Carly Fiorina is a brilliant orator, but lacks that certain 'something'.

She lies like Hillary and not a Dem. Her record at HP lied, outsider, lied, lead fund raiser for the national GOPe fund raising committee, you don't run for Senate on the GOPe ticket in CA and not be a insider but likebility the biggest problem. **nononono*
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 07:23:54 pm by Longiron »

Offline flowers

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 07:24:43 pm »
She lies like Hillary and not a Dem. Her record at HP lied, outsider, lied, lead fund raiser for the national GOPe fund raising committee, you don't run for Senate on the GOPe ticket in CA and not be a insider but likebility the biggest problem. **nononono*
I agree likeability is her biggest problem.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 08:56:28 pm »
I agree likeability is her biggest problem.

She reminds me very much of Maggie Thatcher. Same criticisms leveled at her, too.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 09:06:09 pm »
She reminds me very much of Maggie Thatcher. Same criticisms leveled at her, too.
I liked many of her answers in the debates. Sorry EC she isn't even close to the elegant Margarete Thatcher. She was a real classy lady. She has to much baggage. Whatever happened at HP will haunt her forever.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 09:12:45 pm »

The media "disappeared" Fiorina because she was too big of a threat to the faux-feminist-Hillary-love meme.

She exposed all of the leftist lies that Hillary spews, and the leftist media simply couldn't let her survive.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 09:13:52 pm »
She never had a chance. Some cannot stand the grate of her voice.

It's funny because they're in love with Hillary, who has the most annoying voice/screech/cackle of any human being on the face of the earth....  **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 09:14:14 pm »
What is haunting Fiorina is the fact that the claims that she makes and the attacks on others have been found to be untrue; combine this with the fact that she laid off thousands of workers while she enjoyed cruising on her yachts, just doesn't sit well.  Turns out perhaps, she is her own worst enemy:

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/carly-fiorina-her-own-worst-enemy

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline flowers

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 09:22:53 pm »
What is haunting Fiorina is the fact that the claims that she makes and the attacks on others have been found to be untrue; combine this with the fact that she laid off thousands of workers while she enjoyed cruising on her yachts, just doesn't sit well.  Turns out perhaps, she is her own worst enemy:

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/carly-fiorina-her-own-worst-enemy
Did she say something at a debate about meeting Putin?

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 03:00:51 am »
Scott wrote above:
"But like Lincoln needed Grant not McClellan, we need a street fighter to have a chance."

We don't need Grant.

We need William Tecumseh Sherman!

(...although I'd prefer Nathan Bedford Forrest!)

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 03:25:41 am »
Scott wrote above:
"But like Lincoln needed Grant not McClellan, we need a street fighter to have a chance."

We don't need Grant.

We need William Tecumseh Sherman!

(...although I'd prefer Nathan Bedford Forrest!)

LOL good!
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 04:17:27 am »
And your guy is a regular Honest Abe, huh?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024