Author Topic: Cruz campaign puts family out front  (Read 319 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Cruz campaign puts family out front
« on: November 28, 2015, 03:17:01 pm »
To one degree or another, every candidate running for president has enlisted their family in their effort. But none have gone so far as Ted Cruz, whose surging campaign has placed his wife Heidi and father Rafael at the tip of the spear, leading fundraising and organizing efforts as if they were paid staffers.

Neither has a formal title, but as the Texas senator continues to roll out endorsements and assemble a growing network of supporters in the early states and across the South in anticipation of the March 1 primaries, the influence of his wife, on leave from her position as an executive at Goldman Sachs, and his father, a pastor who is a fixture on the evangelical speaking circuit, is becoming stamped across his campaign.

Rafael Cruz has been central to his son’s evangelical outreach efforts for months. For many Christian conservatives, the first introduction to the Cruz family was through Rafael, who served as a key bridge between religious leaders and the campaign. Last summer he did a multi-city swing through Iowa churches where he was accompanied by the Cruz campaign’s Iowa state director and preached about the importance of getting Christians to vote. His son is rarely the subject of his sermons – but it’s implied.

For most of the campaign, Heidi Cruz focused almost singularly on fundraising. But after largely playing a behind the scenes role, she has started ratcheting up her public presence in recent weeks. She joined Twitter this month and has already done solo swings through states including Alabama and Georgia, maintaining a pace that sometimes rivals her husband’s, with as many as three stops a day. She has a heavy travel schedule planned through the end of the year.

Just as important, Heidi Cruz has joined Rafael Cruz in quietly courting lawmakers, according to several legislators who are backing Cruz, sometimes forming a one-two Cruz family punch before the senator gets involved.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/ted-cruz-family-affair-216208
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Cruz campaign puts family out front
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 04:20:54 pm »
Cruz has a compelling story and family.  I'm glad to see him climbing.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 05:26:00 pm »
Cruz has a compelling story and family.  I'm glad to see him climbing.

:beer:  :patriot:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 06:03:52 pm »
This is a pretty positive article--from Politico!  I suspect the editors will now pull apart their own story and highlight what suits them to raise questions about Cruz.