Author Topic: Obama warns states they can’t refuse Syrian refugees  (Read 1604 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama warns states they can’t refuse Syrian refugees
« on: November 27, 2015, 02:09:15 am »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/261380-obama-warns-states-they-cant-refuse-syrian-refugees

November 26, 2015, 02:26 pm
Obama warns states they can’t refuse Syrian refugees

The Obama administration is warning states that they cannot refuse to accept refugees fleeing war-torn Syria, saying that noncompliant states may be subject to penalties.

The federal Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) said in a letter to state agencies on Wednesday that they cannot withhold services to refugees based on their country of origin or religion.

“Accordingly, states may not categorically deny ORR-funded benefits and services to Syrian refugees,” the letter said. “Any state with such a policy would not be in compliance with the State Plan requirements, applicable statutes, and their own assurances, and could be subject to enforcement action, including suspension and termination.”

The letter cited the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which bars discrimination on the basis of race or country or origin.

“Thus, it is not permissible to deny federally funded benefits such as Medicaid or TANF to refugees who otherwise meet the eligibility requirements."

The House overwhelmingly passed a measure earlier this month to make it more difficult for Syrian refugees to enter the country, following the Nov. 13 terrorist attack in Paris in which at least one assailant is suspected of entering the country posed as a migrant.

The ORR letter said refugees are subject to a rigorous screening process before they enter the country.

“It is the most robust screening process for any category of individuals seeking admissions into the United States, and it is only after admission that ORR and our partners in resettlement begin our work,” the letter said.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) slammed the Obama administration as “hypocritical” over the letter.

“While the United States has the most generous refugee system in the world, the American people are rightly concerned about admitting Syrian refugees and the impact it would have on the safety of their families and neighbors,” Goodlatte said in a statement.

“It’s hypocritical for Obama Administration officials to threaten enforcement action against these states when they refuse to enforce the vast majority of our immigration laws, such as cracking down on sanctuary cities that openly defy federal law and endanger the American people,” he continued.

Obama has vowed to allow 10,000 Syrian refugees into the U.S. over the next fiscal year.

Read ORR letter

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Paladin

Re: Obama warns states they can’t refuse Syrian refugees
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 02:22:20 am »
What interests me is just how the governors will act to prevent the refugees entering their states and how Obama will react. Will he, if necessary, nationalize each state's National Guard and, if he deems it required, send in federal troops as Eisenhower did in Little Rock, 1957?

This could all lead to a very interesting confrontation between the states and Obama.

I also wonder if the Republican House could become a player by prohibiting any federal funds to be used for the purpose of importing Syrian refugees into any state without the permission of its legislature and governor.

We live in interesting times. It's possible the President will show a greater willingness to use force against his fellow Americans than against her foreign enemies.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 02:52:17 am »
What interests me is just how the governors will act to prevent the refugees entering their states and how Obama will react. Will he, if necessary, nationalize each state's National Guard and, if he deems it required, send in federal troops as Eisenhower did in Little Rock, 1957?

This could all lead to a very interesting confrontation between the states and Obama.

I also wonder if the Republican House could become a player by prohibiting any federal funds to be used for the purpose of importing Syrian refugees into any state without the permission of its legislature and governor.

We live in interesting times. It's possible the President will show a greater willingness to use force against his fellow Americans than against her foreign enemies.

I think this is the moment we've all been watching for, a situation of direct confrontation between the Feds and the States.

Watch this one closely kids, it could get out of hand real quick.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 03:24:29 am »
Paladin writes above:
"What interests me is just how the governors will act to prevent the refugees entering their states and how Obama will react. Will he, if necessary, nationalize each state's National Guard and, if he deems it required, send in federal troops as Eisenhower did in Little Rock, 1957?"

Beat you to the punch a couple of weeks back:
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,185944.msg737000.html#msg737000

[Almost] fearless prediction:
At some time in the future, it's going to once again come down to this:

When it does, which side will YOU be on?

Offline Paladin

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 04:13:25 am »
Fishrrman, I was aware of your earlier post. Read it at the time and considered it perceptive. However, the situation has changed. It's become even more charged so I felt it bore repeating with some additional comments of my own.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 05:10:16 pm »
Obama will force the states to take them. Mostly red states I bet. He will use his armed feds to do so. He will tell states he will stop the flow of money. I am guessing the states back down. I hope I am wrong.

Offline Relic

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 05:21:58 pm »
Obama will force the states to take them. Mostly red states I bet. He will use his armed feds to do so. He will tell states he will stop the flow of money. I am guessing the states back down. I hope I am wrong.

This is an issue Obama is passionate about. Obama has a clear fondness for muslims. Bringing muslims to America increases their numbers, and increases Democrat voters. Obama has no bigger enemy, in his mind, than Republicans. I don't think Obama cares at all that this brings an increased terror threat, (he may even welcome it).

So, Obama will fight hard, and fight dirty to get this done. Recent history tells us his opponents will capitulate.

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 05:50:09 pm »
This is an issue Obama is passionate about. Obama has a clear fondness for muslims. Bringing muslims to America increases their numbers, and increases Democrat voters. Obama has no bigger enemy, in his mind, than Republicans. I don't think Obama cares at all that this brings an increased terror threat, (he may even welcome it).

So, Obama will fight hard, and fight dirty to get this done. Recent history tells us his opponents will capitulate.
I believe now he wants a attack here. If they use guns he will use that to attack the 2nd amendment. Maybe even get rid of it.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 06:15:46 pm »

Obama absolutely wants to escalate things to a military confrontation. He will not back down and doesn't care if it all burns down.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:17:26 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 03:24:46 am »
Free Vulcan wrote:
"Obama absolutely wants to escalate things to a military confrontation. He will not back down and doesn't care if it all burns down."

Speakin' of burnin', how about a graphic?

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 03:42:40 am »
“It is the most robust screening process for any category of individuals seeking admissions into the United States, and it is only after admission that ORR and our partners in resettlement begin our work,” the letter said.

That's absolute baloney.  I know of one person who is trying to get her green card who was just told by the examiner handling her case that she, the person I know, needed to get a lot more proof that her marriage was legitimate.  His reason for questioning her marriage?  Her husband didn't put her name on the lease for the NYC apartment they live in.  That's not only a crock, or should be, from the position of basic rationality, it is doubly a crock in NYC because of the way the rent control/stabilization rules work.  The reason you don't put your new spouse or significant other on the lease for your apartment in NYC is because doing that is treated like a new so-called "vacancy lease" which allows the landlord to raise the rent by 18% to 20% above and beyond the annual increases permitted by the rent control board.  I very seriously doubt these "refugees" will be subjected to half as much scrutiny.