Author Topic: New York Times slams Trump's mocking of handicapped reporter as 'outrageous'  (Read 17593 times)

Offline sinkspur

151125_trump_ap_1160.jpg

New York Times slams Trump's mocking of handicapped reporter as 'outrageous'

By BEN SCHRECKINGER

11/25/15 05:58 PM EST Updated 11/25/15 05:55 PM EST

Donald Trump has added a new item to his growing list of presidential campaign firsts: mocking a person’s physical handicap.

During a defense of his widely debunked claim that thousands of people in parts of New Jersey with large Arab populations celebrated the collapse of the World Trade Center towers on Sept. 11, 2001, Trump performed a derisive impression of New York Times reporter Serge Kovaleski — who suffers from a chronic condition that has limited the movement of his arms — at a rally in South Carolina on Tuesday night.

Citing a 2001 article written by Kovaleski that referred to people allegedly seen celebrating the attacks, Trump said it was “Written by a nice reporter.”

Trump went on, “Now the poor guy — you ought to see the guy: ‘Uhh I don’t know what I said. I don’t remember.’ He’s going, ‘I don’t remember. Maybe that’s what I said.’” As he spoke, Trump launched into an impression which involved gyrating his arms wildly and imitating the unusual angle at which Kovaleski’s hand sometimes rests.

“We think it's outrageous that he would ridicule the appearance of one of our reporters,” said a spokeswoman for the Times. The article cited by Trump was written by Kovaleski when he worked for The Washington Post and stated that in the aftermath of Sept. 11, “Law enforcement authorities detained and questioned a number of people who were allegedly seen celebrating the attacks and holding tailgate-style parties on rooftops while they watched the devastation on the other side of the river.”

On Tuesday, after Trump’s supporters began citing the article as evidence for the candidate’s claim, Kovaleski told CNN, “We did a lot of shoe leather reporting in and around Jersey City and talked to a lot of residents and officials for the broader story. Much of that has, indeed, faded from memory … I do not recall anyone saying there were thousands, or even hundreds, of people celebrating. That was not the case, as best as I can remember.”

Kovaleski suffers from arthrogryposis, a congenital condition that limits the movement of the joints and weakens the muscles around them. As a reporter at the New York Daily News in the late 1980s and early ’90s, he covered Trump’s business exploits and met with the developer on several occasions.

Trump is not alone on his campaign in drawing unflattering attention to the physical condition of others. In 2012, when she was supporting Ted Cruz’s Senate bid, Trump’s new national spokeswoman Katrina Pierson drew flak for referring to a veteran who appeared in a video for Cruz’s opponent and who suffered back fractures and severe burns from an improvised explosive device as “deformed.”

The Trump campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/donald-trump-mocks-new-york-times-reporter-serge-kovaleski-216219#ixzz3sY8nacs0
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

If you disagree with Trump or oppose him, there is literally nothing this low-lifed cretin won't resort to to attempt to humiliate you.

No wonder he's had three wives.

Offline sinkspur

Which other candidate does this kind of foolishness? 

I'm really interested in the Trump supporters figuring out a way to defend this.

Offline kevindavis007

Which other candidate does this kind of foolishness? 

I'm really interested in the Trump supporters figuring out a way to defend this.

They will say it is a way of being non pc..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline EdinVA

No candidate is perfect, that is a given, but sometimes Trump just goes off the deep end.
I want to take the guy seriously but this kind of thing just makes me want to pull my hair out....

Offline sinkspur

Trump's supporters are like addicts.  They need a bigger and more outrageous fix from Trump to continue to support him.

And he gives it to them.  He's made fun of Fiorina's looks, of Jeb's laid back demeanor, Rubio's youth, and Carson's smarts.

And now he's ridiculing some unknown reporter's handicap, a reporter who wrote an article 14 years ago and now says there just weren't many people involved.  What a sniveling bleep, to trash the poor guy's handicap that he can't do anything about.

Offline sinkspur

No candidate is perfect, that is a given, but sometimes Trump just goes off the deep end.
I want to take the guy seriously but this kind of thing just makes me want to pull my hair out....

Trump is a narcissist, an obsessive narcissist.  It's a mental situation.

If he's not a narcissist, then he's just a mean, nasty human being.

In either case, he should never be president.

Offline musiclady

I wonder how Rush will defend this horrific behavior.

I wonder how ANYONE thinks a person who behaves like this should ever be the leader of this once great nation......   **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline sinkspur

I wonder how Rush will defend this horrific behavior.

I wonder how ANYONE thinks a person who behaves like this should ever be the leader of this once great nation......   **nononono*

This is high school stuff...............

Offline aligncare

The New York Times is producing some hard hitting political coverage on Trump. Yessiree. In their latest investigative report they uncovered a scandal that could finally bring the Donald down.

"Report: plaque on Donald Trump golf course historically inaccurate"

Reports are Trump has been in strategy meetings with his damage-control team working on salvaging his campaign after The New York Times' disclosure and blistering indictment of Trump's abuse of public trust.  :whistle:

(This is NOT a joke. Google it)

Offline musiclady

This is high school stuff...............

After the American people elected a Prom King twice, you'd think we'd all know better......

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline sinkspur

The New York Times is producing some hard hitting political coverage on Trump. Yessiree. In their latest investigative report they uncovered a scandal that could finally bring the Donald down.

Reports are Trump has been in strategy meetings with his damage-control team working on salvaging his campaign after The New York Times' disclosure and blistering indictment of Trump's abuse of public trust.  :whistle:

Post a thread about that.

THIS thread is about your boy trashing a handicapped reporter.  Is that OK with you?

Does it bother you that Trump can never admit he was wrong?  That's Obama behavior. Trump voted for Obama in 2009, by the way.

Offline andy58-in-nh

If you disagree with Trump or oppose him, there is literally nothing this low-lifed cretin won't resort to to attempt to humiliate you.

No wonder he's had three wives.

As critical as I have been of Mr. Trump, I do think that is unfair to a great number of women.

Men and women can be equally great, or equally shallow. The key question is whether character matters. I say it does.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline sinkspur

As critical as I have been of Mr. Trump, I do think that is unfair to a great number of women.

Men and women can be equally great, or equally shallow. The key question is whether character matters. I say it does.

Trump hooks up with these foreign chicks who can barely speak English and are clueless about American life. 

Then, when they get a little taste of American culture, they get sick of Trump. 

I'm trying to be nice.

The dark explanation is that Trump gets tired of these women and wants something new.

In other words, a run of the mill cad.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/25/media/donald-trump-serge-kovaleski/index.html

The New York Times is angry that Donald Trump mocked one of its reporters who has a physical disability.

Trump waved his arms in an awkward manner to lampoon Serge Kovaleski at a rally in South Carolina Tuesday night. Kovaleski has a chronic condition called arthrogryposis, which limits the movement of his arms.

The New York Times was offended. "We find it's outrageous that he would ridicule the appearance of one of our reporters," a spokesperson told CNNMoney.

Trump's performance was prompted by a story Kovaleski had written in 2001 that refuted claims that thousands of Muslims in Jersey City cheered the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center.

Trump is insisting that he saw "thousands" of Muslims celebrating in Jersey City, N.J., as the twin towers burned fell on the other side of the Hudson River.

Watch Donald Trump mock reporter's disability(video at link)

Kovaleski worked for the Washington Post in 2001 and investigated those reports immediately after the terror attack. His story concluded that the alleged celebrations by Muslims didn't happen.

He was interviewed this week by the Washington Post about his 2001 reporting. "I certainly do not remember anyone saying that thousands or even hundreds of people were celebrating. That was not the case, as best as I can remember," Kovaleski told the Post.

Trump used an exaggerated voice and arm action as he pretended to be Kovaleski.

"Now the poor guy, you've got to see this guy: 'Uhh, I don't know what I said. I don't remember.' He's going, 'I don't remember. Maybe that's what I said,' " Trump said.

Trump knows Kovaleski and is aware of his physical appearance from the years when Kovaleski worked at the New York Daily News and frequently covered Trump.

A spokesperson for Trump did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Trump has frequently attacked reporters who have displeased him during his presidential campaign. One of his targets has been Fox host Megyn Kelly who angered Trump with her questions during the first GOP debate on Fox. He has ridiculed Kelly and her show.

He has also attacked conservative commentators including Hugh Hewitt, Glenn Beck, Erick Erickson, Charles Krauthammer and George Will. His descriptions have ranged from "total dope" to "loser."

Offline sinkspur

Mocking a handicapped person is absolute scraping the lid of the toilet bowl.  Trump is a cretin.

But, this kind of stuff doesn't matter to his supporters.  Stepping on people is fine in service of the broader mission of putting His Hairness in office.

This is another case of Trump making stuff up, and when he is called on it, he can't admit he was wrong.  Trump lied/embellished a story about his golf course being on a significant spot to civil war historians.  The historians say that is not true and Trump says the historians are wrong...because Trump's really smart.  He knows he is really smart, because he saw himself say so on TV.

Offline famousdayandyear

Mocking a handicapped person is absolute scraping the lid of the toilet bowl.  Trump is a cretin.

But, this kind of stuff doesn't matter to his supporters.  Stepping on people is fine in service of the broader mission of putting His Hairness in office.

Spreading vitriol is a speciality.  Lying for money is a criminal offense.

An uncanny impersonation Donny...you should go into show business.

An uncanny impersonation Donny...you should go into show business.

Offline Carling

I never thought I'd see the day when "conservatives" are backing a far-left loony tune NYT propagandist over a man who clearly loves his country, faults and all.

I'm not a Trump supporter, either.  Is making fun of Trump's hair a hate crime, too?  Is calling his wives "barely English speaking" bigoted?

Tell me, the four of you here who are making fools of yourselves on a daily basis with your TDS to the point you back Islamists over Trump.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Paladin

I never thought I'd see the day when "conservatives" are backing a far-left loony tune NYT propagandist over a man who clearly loves his country, faults and all.

I'm not a Trump supporter, either.  Is making fun of Trump's hair a hate crime, too?  Is calling his wives "barely English speaking" bigoted?

Tell me, the four of you here who are making fools of yourselves on a daily basis with your TDS to the point you back Islamists over Trump.

Weird, ain't it, Carling?
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Jay Caruso ‏@JayCaruso 2h2 hours ago
So over “I don’t support Trump but….” And “I don’t agree with Trump, but…”

It sounds like “I don’t support rioters in Baltimore, but….”

I'm not backing a NYT propagandist.  I'm also not backing the guy making fun of his disability.  You say your not a supporter but you spend a lot of time defending him.  It seems to be your raison d'etre since your very short self imposed exile.

I have never claimed to be "conservative." I don't even know what that means anymore in the age of fact free - ideology free Trump.  I'm a pro-taxcut, pro-military, pro-life, pro-God, pro-gun, pro-business  Republican.  Trump is a liar who demeaned our POWs, and is squishy on abortion and guns, incoherent on foreign policy, and says he loves Jesus but can't quote one sentence of scripture.

You mean imaginary Islamists in NJ?  or did you find the video?

Carling I know I have TDS.  I hate Trump and I will ridiculously and shamelessly pounce on every misstep he makes until any other candidate supplants him. I believe, you hate the GOPe and to prove it you will justify any indefensible word and deed Trump makes as long is it gets me riled up.

I don't want to be this guy.  I want to agree with you that Obama sucks, and Senator Cruz is a good man, and taxes are too high, and the world is messed up.  I can't do that when I believe Trump threatens my children's future.  Even if you look in the mirror and see that I am completely wrong about where you stand, believe me when I say I know where I stand.

I hope your Thanksgiving is happy.

Offline musiclady

I'd love to have somebody rationally defend this behavior.....   **nononono*

Offline musiclady

This isn't propaganda, Carling.  This is Trump.

If I don't like people who behave this way, am I supporting "Islamists" in your view?