Author Topic: After Saying No to Refugees, Rubio Opens the Door for Syrian Widows and Orphans  (Read 1556 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-11-23/after-saying-no-to-refugees-rubio-opens-the-door-for-syrian-widows-and-orphans

After Saying No to Refugees, Rubio Opens the Door for Syrian Widows and Orphans
The son of Cuban immigrants says he's willing to accept elderly widows and young orphans fleeing Syria.
  Sahil KapurSahil Kapur

November 23, 2015 — 12:21 PM CST

Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio has been sending mixed signals on Syrian refugees as the question of what to do with the millions of people displaced by that country's civil war has become a flashpoint in the U.S. political debate.

Over the course of three months, the Florida senator, who frequently alludes to his own background as a child of Cuban immigrants on the campaign trail, has gone from qualified support for accepting the refugees to flat opposition to saying he'd offer exceptions from an all-out ban for certain groups like young orphans and elderly widows.

Before the Nov. 13 terror attacks in Paris, for which the Iraq- and Syria-based Islamic State terror group has taken credit, Rubio supported letting in Syrian refugees who have been vetted. “Well, we’ve always been a country that's been willing to accept people who have been displaced,” he told Boston Herald Radio on Sept. 6, “and I would be open to that if it can be done in a way that allows us to ensure that among them are not infiltrated people who are part of a terrorist organization that are using this crisis.”

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Orphans UNDER 5 years old - fine. Doubt anyone would object to them anyway.

Widows though? Many of the Kurdish female fighters are widows, and I'd not like them mad at me. Rather glad they are on the same side.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline libertybele

I certainly understand and agree that we as a nation should be sympathetic, and compassionate and have no problem with giving humanitarian aid.  In that aspect our country gives more of their GDP in aid than any other.  I think we need to get our own house in order and first secure our borders and secondly start a deportation process for illegals that are already here before we can even begin to think about taking in refugees from this part of the world. We have more illegals crossing over our borders than ever before combine this with thousands of refugees and we're back to the same problem; we don't know who these people are and where they are.  We should have already learned a lesson from Europe and most recently Paris.  A moratorium on immigration of any kind needs to be placed. Accepting orphans 5 and UNDER is certainly understandable.

At this point in time, I agree with the concept of setting up "safe zones" for these refugees. 

The security of American citizens and the sovereignty of this country should be first and foremost and Rubio has in the past given more  consideration to illegal immigrants and refugees than to American citizens. I expect the same of him in the future.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I certainly understand and agree that we as a nation should be sympathetic, and compassionate and have no problem with giving humanitarian aid.  In that aspect our country gives more of their GDP in aid than any other.  I think we need to get our own house in order and first secure our borders and secondly start a deportation process for illegals that are already here before we can even begin to think about taking in refugees from this part of the world. We have more illegals crossing over our borders than ever before combine this with thousands of refugees and we're back to the same problem; we don't know who these people are and where they are.  We should have already learned a lesson from Europe and most recently Paris.  A moratorium on immigration of any kind needs to be placed. Accepting orphans 5 and UNDER is certainly understandable.

At this point in time, I agree with the concept of setting up "safe zones" for these refugees. 

The security of American citizens and the sovereignty of this country should be first and foremost and Rubio has in the past given more  consideration to illegal immigrants and refugees than to American citizens. I expect the same of him in the future.

I agree, Libertybele.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline NavyCanDo

Not that I have any voice in how we handle refugees, but if I were King, I would welcome refugees only for the purposes of escaping religious persecution, and orphans under the age of 12.    Yes that would include Christians and other lesser religions of the embattled region,  that would mark one for extermination by ISIS.   Who would not be included would be unmarried men of fighting age – who in my opinion should be joining coalition forces to take back the region from ISIS.
Then out of those who do qualify, a comprehensive screening process, and registration including photo ID, Finger Printing, and DNA. And they would have to have a U.S. Citizen or organization such as a church sponsor them while they are here. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline libertybele

Not that I have any voice in how we handle refugees, but if I were King, I would welcome refugees only for the purposes of escaping religious persecution, and orphans under the age of 12.    Yes that would include Christians and other lesser religions of the embattled region,  that would mark one for extermination by ISIS.   Who would not be included would be unmarried men of fighting age – who in my opinion should be joining coalition forces to take back the region from ISIS.
Then out of those who do qualify, a comprehensive screening process, and registration including photo ID, Finger Printing, and DNA. And they would have to have a U.S. Citizen or organization such as a church sponsor them while they are here.

In theory that should work and I would tend to agree with you. The problem with what has happened over in Europe is that the"refugees" coming over claiming religious persecution aren't indeed fleeing religious persecution; they are coming over to increase their presence in the area.

Again, I strongly feel we need to get our own house in order before we can start helping refugees; otherwise it will be one big "cluster" and not only would we be putting American citizen's lives in jeopardy, but possibly those that we are trying to help as well.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 07:14:26 pm by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

A little perspective please.....

This is a picture taken in Iraq in 2003 or 2004.  The children in this picture are probably either all orphans today, and they are in their mid-20's.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
I posted this on the other Rubio thread...but if you listen to Rubio in the interview, the difference between him and the harder-line Republicans is really not very large.  He spent most of the time in the interview talking about how we cannot effectively vet these refugees, there is no information about them and there won't be in almost all cases the information we need to vet them.  He talked about some rather extreme examples of exceptions that would be OK with him but the overall impression was that any exceptions would be very extreme and very few.  That's a position that could rather easily find some common ground with the harder-line Republicans, like Trump, on this issue.  I think this is a case of journalist hyperbole hitting Rubio like it has Trump, Carson and Cruz.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Where would these "safe zones" be?  Under who's control? For how long?   And by "these refugees" do you mean children under 5?

Thanks.

Offline libertybele

Where would these "safe zones" be?  Under who's control? For how long?   And by "these refugees" do you mean children under 5?

Thanks.

The safe zones would be inside Syria or in an area in the Gulf States in the Middle East -- they would still be in an area that they are accustomed to. The UN is already involved and from my understanding they have been involved in vetting those refugees that are being placed in Europe and those that they want to place in the U.S.  Rather than relocating the refugees and dumping them into a culture and land that they are not familiar with clear across the globe, talk of putting up safe zones in Syria and surrounding areas has been discussed though not agreed upon.  According to the article (link below) bringing in hundreds of thousands of refugees into another country is an economic burden to the host country that is not sustainable.  Keep in mind the tremendous economic burden that we already carry due to our illegal immigration problem...add to that number 85,000+ refugees a year is a recipe for disaster not only to our sovereignty but to our economy.

http://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/2015/11/24/coats-create-safe-zones-syrian-refugees/76305322/

The safe zones would be inside Syria or in an area in the Gulf States in the Middle East -- they would still be in an area that they are accustomed to. The UN is already involved and from my understanding they have been involved in vetting those refugees that are being placed in Europe and those that they want to place in the U.S.  Rather than relocating the refugees and dumping them into a culture and land that they are not familiar with clear across the globe, talk of putting up safe zones in Syria and surrounding areas has been discussed though not agreed upon.  According to the article (link below) bringing in hundreds of thousands of refugees into another country is an economic burden to the host country that is not sustainable.  Keep in mind the tremendous economic burden that we already carry due to our illegal immigration problem...add to that number 85,000+ refugees a year is a recipe for disaster not only to our sovereignty but to our economy.

http://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/2015/11/24/coats-create-safe-zones-syrian-refugees/76305322/ 

This is very helpful.  Thanks.  (And I agree with your assessments)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I understand the danger.  Sometimes orphans grow up to be monsters.  Sometimes little old ladies have knives.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJSJjwHJqCo

I am compelled by the RINO in me to agree with Senator Rubio.

"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me" - Jesus Matthew 25:40

Proverbs 14:31
Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.

Matthew 10:16:  “Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves."