Author Topic: Why won't middle class people shop at Walmart?  (Read 933 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why won't middle class people shop at Walmart?
« on: October 19, 2015, 02:56:39 pm »
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/10/why_wont_middle_class_people_shop_at_walmart.html

October 19, 2015
Why won't middle class people shop at Walmart?
By Ed Straker

Walmart's stock took a steep drop as the company announced that it was expecting lower profits. There are a number of problems Wal-mart has, such as its website and fulfillment not being quite as good as Amazon.com, but Wal-mart is primarily a brick and mortar store, not an internet company.

The basic problem as I see it is that middle class people are afraid to shop there. If you look at reviews on Yelp one of the most common words used to describe Wal-mart is "ghetto". There is even a Yahoo question on this very topic:

Why is every Walmart so ghetto? Why? I have never walked into any Walmart without feeling like I was going to be mugged, even in a nice area. I know the prices are very convenient, but still. I don't see why every Walmart attracts gangs, druggies, and sometimes even hookers. I've actually seen all those things at a Walmart before, including a man wearing a thong....

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Why won't middle class people shop at Walmart?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 03:08:08 pm »
I also have that same feeling at our local Krogers, which used to be an upscale store - but now I hear about these types approaching people in the parking lot and asking for money. 

Our local Super Walmart is a very nice store, but the city bus lets off these dregs of society that constantly shoplift the store all day long.  You always see a couple of police cruisers out front.

I get the same feeling at our local mall - a nice mall - but these ghetto types roam the mall and congregate at the food court - although lately I've noticed a police presence that seems to be keeping them from roosting where the food court is.  Now, they just roam.

It seems to come from a drastic change in the demographic make-up of our downtown area.  People walking blocks and blocks all day long - some are lugging suitcases on wheels - rehab housing is popping up everywhere.  Others are walking long distances to the tobacco shop or dollar store.  You can tell from looking at them - they don't have jobs and they are either fresh out of prison or rehab.

My beautiful middle-class town is starting to go ghetto, like the larger cities around us already have.  Civilization is crumbling - it's not just Walmart.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 05:26:18 pm »
I also have that same feeling at our local Krogers, which used to be an upscale store - but now I hear about these types approaching people in the parking lot and asking for money. 

Our local Super Walmart is a very nice store, but the city bus lets off these dregs of society that constantly shoplift the store all day long.  You always see a couple of police cruisers out front.

I get the same feeling at our local mall - a nice mall - but these ghetto types roam the mall and congregate at the food court - although lately I've noticed a police presence that seems to be keeping them from roosting where the food court is.  Now, they just roam.

It seems to come from a drastic change in the demographic make-up of our downtown area.  People walking blocks and blocks all day long - some are lugging suitcases on wheels - rehab housing is popping up everywhere.  Others are walking long distances to the tobacco shop or dollar store.  You can tell from looking at them - they don't have jobs and they are either fresh out of prison or rehab.

My beautiful middle-class town is starting to go ghetto, like the larger cities around us already have.  Civilization is crumbling - it's not just Walmart.

I see it too. Some here may know I live in Iowa. A very rural part of Iowa, very literally a cul-de-sac that the rest of the world has passed by. Yet, in smaller and smaller towns, I see the same low class trash running around. These are imports, sometimes but not necessarily immigrants, and not your local trailer park dregs.

Where the HELL are they coming from and why are they here? There are not a ton of jobs here, little opportunity, not much to do, isolated and relativesly insular, yet it seems like I see the imported riff-raff in places that are the exact opposite where you'd expect them to congregate. Unemployed riff-raff often times at that.

It is as if someone is deliberately sprinkling these people everywhere in a subtle but coordinated manner. I know of one local small city where it was deliberately done because a buddy I graduated with was in charge of it, bringing Chicago ghetto trash down here to 'give them a new chance at life'. Now areas I used to run all over in as a kid are now too dangerous in broad day light.

But he's long gone from that position, and yet it continues and it's spread. It seems like a very methodical attempt to sow as many potential riot and looting zombie thugs as they possibly can for some later event while eroding the quality of life in these places now with destabilizing crime. Sorry if that seems tinfoil but it's too obvious to ignore.
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 05:28:52 pm »
Interesting article.......... especially since I just came home from shopping at Walmart....  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline LambChop

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 05:44:07 pm »
They don't have entire websites devoted to showing the dregs of society shopping at Walmart for nothing.  Just saying.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 05:47:02 pm »
It is as if someone is deliberately sprinkling these people everywhere in a subtle but coordinated manner. I know of one local small city where it was deliberately done because a buddy I graduated with was in charge of it, bringing Chicago ghetto trash down here to 'give them a new chance at life'. Now areas I used to run all over in as a kid are now too dangerous in broad day light.

But he's long gone from that position, and yet it continues and it's spread. It seems like a very methodical attempt to sow as many potential riot and looting zombie thugs as they possibly can for some later event while eroding the quality of life in these places now with destabilizing crime. Sorry if that seems tinfoil but it's too obvious to ignore.

Not tinfoil, my friend. It happens here too, enough to be both noticed and have entered the mainstream enough to get a movie about it.
(Hot Fuzz. Comedy works best when it IS something that un-nerves you)
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 06:59:54 pm »

Here, the Kroger's is Smith's...and I have noticed the same thing. I literally cannot park and walk in without being accosted in the parking lot by various forms of beggars - sometimes quite organized (wearing matching T-shirts with some cause I've never heard of - obviously made up to create an appearance of legitimacy), sometimes quite obviously drug or alcohol victims, sometimes teenagers.  At every entrance to the parking lot is a sign flyer.  The Walmart here is a bit better, even though the store looks run-down or over-used.  They police their lots a bit better.

It does seem the country is crumbling, rotting and descending into a pretty dangerous environment.  It reminds me something of many areas in Europe, where there are enclaves developing and public areas are where people from the different enclaves are meeting.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 07:17:54 pm »
Not tinfoil, my friend. It happens here too, enough to be both noticed and have entered the mainstream enough to get a movie about it.
(Hot Fuzz. Comedy works best when it IS something that un-nerves you)

Have seen that movie - loved it!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 08:05:05 pm »
I'm pretty sure I'm middle class and do, occasionally, shop at WalMart.  I live in a fairly normal area, if one considers normal not having hookers, druggies and beggars on every corner.  Maybe it's not Walmart that is ghetto, but the area?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 08:46:43 pm by Sanguine »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 08:29:26 pm »
I'm pretty sure I'm middle class and do, occasionally, shop at WalMart.  I like in a fairly normal area, if one considers normal not having hookers, druggies and beggars on every corner.  Maybe it's not Walmart that is ghetto, but the area?

My thought as well.

The two Walmarts in our area have no one of ill-repute lurking around them.

Unless, of course, one considers people like me, in that regard.   :dx1:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline evadR

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 08:40:41 pm »
It is definitely the area...and if it is accessed by public transportation.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 02:02:36 am »
I believe that Walmart's drop was attributable to very large increases in, e.g., labor costs, based on Walmart's stupid increase in the wage it pays.

I am quite happy to shop at Walmart, when I can find one.  Where I live about all we have is Target.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 02:09:49 am »
I'm seeing more ethnics at our local Wal-Mart, but it's due to some section 8 housing that Obama forced down our throats. 

As long as I can get past the big butts in the aisles, I really don't care.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Oceander

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 02:15:52 am »
I'm seeing more ethnics at our local Wal-Mart, but it's due to some section 8 housing that Obama forced down our throats. 

As long as I can get past the big butts in the aisles, I really don't care.

:silly:

:thumbsup:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 01:20:18 pm »
I'm pretty sure I'm middle class and do, occasionally, shop at WalMart.  I live in a fairly normal area, if one considers normal not having hookers, druggies and beggars on every corner.  Maybe it's not Walmart that is ghetto, but the area?
I think so. I live in a small town with a Kroger but no Walmart. We don't have any problem at Kroger of being accosted by beggars or shady characters. It's a bit of a drive to the closest Walmarts and I feel quite safe at one of them. The other is in a small city with a considerable drug and crime problem and there have been some muggings in the parking lot, so I'm careful to hang onto my purse when I'm there. Actually, I was there yesterday and remembered that I had intended to carry my concealed weapon, but forgot. Doh!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org