Author Topic: For decades, the government steered millions away from whole milk. Was that wrong?  (Read 851 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/10/06/for-decades-the-government-steered-millions-away-from-whole-milk-was-that-wrong/

By Peter Whoriskey October 6

U.S. dietary guidelines have long recommended that people steer clear of whole milk, and for decades, Americans have obeyed. Whole milk sales shrunk. It was banned from school lunch programs. Purchases of low-fat dairy climbed.

“Replace whole milk and full-fat milk products with fat-free or low-fat choices,” says the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, the federal government's influential advice book, citing the role of dairy fat in heart disease.

Whether this massive shift in eating habits has made anyone healthier is an open question among scientists, however. In fact, research published in recent years indicates that the opposite might be true: millions might have been better off had they stuck with whole milk.

Scientists who tallied diet and health records for several thousand patients over ten years found, for example, that contrary to the government advice, people who consumed more milk fat had lower incidence of heart disease.

By warning people against full-fat dairy foods, the United States is “losing a huge opportunity for the prevention of disease,” said Marcia Otto, an assistant professor of epidemiology at the University of Texas and the lead author of large studies published in 2012 and 2013, which were funded by government and academic institutions, not the industry. “What we have learned over the last decade is that certain foods that are high in fat seem to be beneficial.”

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I refuse to drink anything other than whole milk in my household, or use any other low fat dairy.
The Republic is lost.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Skimmed milk in my tea. Full milk for everything else.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I refuse to drink anything other than whole milk in my household, or use any other low fat dairy.

I agree.  And, it tastes better.

Offline flowers

For a few years now, I don't believe a thing they tell us about anything. Was red dye #4 really that bad? Or was it yellow dye #8?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:37:18 pm by flowers »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Only whole milk for me and whole-fat greek yogurt - which you really have to look for.

When they take the fat out, they replace it with carbs/sugar.  Hopefully someday, everyone will come around to the huge low-fat scheme foisted on us by the government, pharmaceuticals and other agencies.  The more low-fat stuff we eat, the fatter we get. 

Inflammation is a huge problem, not fat consumption - and inflammation is mainly caused by sugar.  Man was made to eat saturated fat and we make our own cholesterol (which we need) if we don't consume enough.

I'm not a doctor, but I could talk all day about how our modern "healthy" low-fat diet is killing us.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Inflammation is a huge problem, not fat consumption - and inflammation is mainly caused by sugar.  Man was made to eat saturated fat and we make our own cholesterol (which we need) if we don't consume enough.

I'm not a doctor, but I could talk all day about how our modern "healthy" low-fat diet is killing us.

Alice, I completely agree with you - high fat diet means I have lots of energy and not much arthritic type pain, sugar and carbs mean I'm tired, sleep poorly, and have joint pain.  I wouldn't have thought it was so simple, but it is.

Offline musiclady

Not a fan of whole milk.  For me it's like drinking cream.

HOWEVER, put all the fat you like in my ice cream!   :smokin:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Don't get too excited.

They want us to die faster.....don't forget, there's an illegal eager to take your place at the 'table'.

Plus, it keeps Social Security solvent if you die in your early sixties.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Don't get too excited.

They want us to die faster.....don't forget, there's an illegal eager to take your place at the 'table'.

Plus, it keeps Social Security solvent if you die in your early sixties.    :laugh:

Yes, we need to do what we can to disappoint them.

Offline musiclady

Don't get too excited.

I just found out that due to my age and my good health, my life expectancy is now around 95....

Take THAT, you oppressive nanny state federal government!   :tongue2:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I just found out that due to my age and my good health, my life expectancy is now around 95....

Take THAT, you oppressive nanny state federal government!   :tongue2:

Excellent!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Skim milk tastes like water.

I want the real thing.