Author Topic: The Second Amendment Is One Supreme Court Justice from Repeal ....By David French  (Read 538 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/425156/print

The Second Amendment Is One Supreme Court Justice from Repeal
By David French — October 6, 2015

In August, my colleague Charlie Cooke wrote an epic rant daring the Left to stop talking about repealing the Second Amendment and start doing it. Introduce the repeal to Congress, work it through the states, and tell the American people what you want to do — take from them a fundamental, enumerated right from the Bill of Rights. As Charlie eloquently outlines, repealing the Second Amendment is an impossible task. Even worse for the Left, it’s political suicide.

But if the Supreme Court’s decision in Obergefell v. Hodges teaches us anything, it’s that the age of judicial supremacy means that five justices can amend the Constitution far more efficiently than Congress and the state legislatures. And right now there are clearly four Supreme Court justices who are committed to the absurd view that the operative clause of the Second Amendment — “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed” — doesn’t actually mean “the right of the people” and therefore doesn’t encompass an individual right to own a weapon, even for self-defense. This view defies history yet is received, conventional wisdom on the judicial Left, in much the same way that it’s received, conventional wisdom that the Constitution actually protects rights to abortion and gay marriage.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

obama will get this too before he leaves office.  :smokin:

Offline flowers

He will be releasing thousands more inmates from prisons. Leaving room for more to be in them. Guess who those folks might be? :smokin:

Offline olde north church

He will be releasing thousands more inmates from prisons. Leaving room for more to be in them. Guess who those folks might be? :smokin:

Well what would they be then, cowards or fools?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Sadly just about the whole Constitution is one SCOTUS vote from repeal.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:49:31 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
[[ The Second Amendment Is One Supreme Court Justice from Repeal ]]

Dear readers, you don't have to dirty yourselves by reading the following book.

All you have to do is read the subtitle under the graphic:
http://tinyurl.com/qybh9pg

Offline sinkspur

obama will get this too before he leaves office.  :smokin:

LOL!!  I'll put a huge amount of coin that he doesn't. 

Game?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Sadly just about the whole Constitution is one SCOTUS vote from repeal.
At least the parts that haven't been repealed, distorted and maimed through SCOTUS yet, anyway.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline olde north church

I am so pissed right now.  I hate not being able to express myself.
It's about intrepetation and the "Living Document" lie.  The Founders were intelligent men, some of who were inventors, Franklin and Jefferson quickly come to mind.  They could understand there would be changes to arms, implements used daily, modes of transportation, methods of the Press -- related to arms.  They understood the technology of the time was limited to the resources available at the time.
BUT they also understood the nature of men was NOT mutable.  There would always be tyrants.  There would always be the poor.  There would always be moral, immoral and amoral men.
What is necessary is not for a justice to be a strict constructionist or loose constructionist but to understand the INTENTIONS of the Framers.  Oliver Wendell Holmes may have been speaking about himself when he discussed generations of imbeciles.  You CAN shout "Fire" in a crowded theatre.  You will, though, moral - who may have smelled smoke - man, immoral - trying to see how many people die in the stampede - man or amoral - I wonder what would happen if? - man, be held responsible for the consequences.
In conclusion, the next few years of the USSC should be spent reviewing and upholding those judgements that actually are related to the Constitution and removing those that were made as a condition of the times, Dred Scot and Roe v Wade come to mind.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline flowers

LOL!!  I'll put a huge amount of coin that he doesn't. 

Game?
How much coin?