Author Topic: John Kasich to ObamaCare critics: Do I need to buy Bibles for you people to remind you to care about the poor?  (Read 864 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
John Kasich to ObamaCare critics: Do I need to buy Bibles for you people to remind you to care about the poor?

POSTED AT 1:21 PM ON OCTOBER 6, 2015 BY ALLAHPUNDIT

I like Alex Burns’s summary of this clip: “Kasich basically defends Medicaid expansion the way an Aaron Sorkin character would.” Precisely, and he’s been doing it for more than two years despite endless conservative upset at him for equating state-backed entitlements with Christian charity. His first, most famous musing on this point came in June 2013 when he replied to right-wing critics of expanding Medicaid:

Kasich continued: “I had a conversation with one of the members of the legislature the other day. I said, ‘I respect the fact that you believe in small government. I do, too. I also know that you’re a person of faith.

‘Now, when you die and get to the meeting with St. Peter, he’s probably not going to ask you much about what you did about keeping government small. But he is going to ask you what you did for the poor. You better have a good answer.’  ”
Those remarks have followed him ever since. He was challenged on them earlier this year at a panel discussion by conservative health-care wonk Avik Roy and seemed to finally inch away from them, which made sense given his looming presidential candidacy:

Sparks flew when Kudlow gave the floor to Manhattan Institute scholar and Forbes healthcare blogger Avik Roy, who asked: “Is it fair to say you support repealing Obamacare except for the Medicaid expansion?” Roy added that Kasich has been asserting that Medicaid critics on the right “are going to hell.”…

He conceded that Roy had described his position on Obamacare and Medicaid correctly, but also told Roy, “I’m gonna send you the transcript so you can get it right,” saying of an event at which he was quoted, “I was out at a Koch brothers’ conference. A lady was yelling at me saying, ‘you’re using God against your people.’ “
Ah, so he was only answering a question in the same dismissive religious terms in which it was posed to him. Except, obviously, he wasn’t: He’s back to trotting out Biblical defenses of the welfare state in today’s Q&A with the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. Why? I realize he’s got John Weaver whispering in his ear and I realize he’s running a Huntsman-esque centrist campaign aimed at showing he’s more evolved than those darned wingnuts in his party’s base, but he’s still going to need those voters in a general election if he’s the nominee. Jeb Bush at least has the good sense not to antagonize conservatives who already dislike him. As it is, this is like Rick Perry telling righties in 2012 that if they “don’t have a heart” if they don’t support in-state tuition for illegals — times a hundred. I don’t get it. And the worst part is, if you’re all about helping the poor, Medicaid is one of the worst ways to go about doing so.

Exit question: And then he immediately segues into … fighting ISIS? Huh?

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/10/06/john-kasich-to-obamacare-critics-do-i-need-to-buy-bibles-for-you-people-to-remind-you-to-care-about-the-poor/

Video at link.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GourmetDan

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

bkepley

John Kasich to ObamaCare critics: Do I need to buy Bibles for you people to remind you to care about the poor?

POSTED AT 1:21 PM ON OCTOBER 6, 2015 BY ALLAHPUNDIT

I like Alex Burns’s summary of this clip: “Kasich basically defends Medicaid expansion the way an Aaron Sorkin character would.” Precisely, and he’s been doing it for more than two years despite endless conservative upset at him for equating state-backed entitlements with Christian charity. His first, most famous musing on this point came in June 2013 when he replied to right-wing critics of expanding Medicaid:

Kasich continued: “I had a conversation with one of the members of the legislature the other day. I said, ‘I respect the fact that you believe in small government. I do, too. I also know that you’re a person of faith.

‘Now, when you die and get to the meeting with St. Peter, he’s probably not going to ask you much about what you did about keeping government small. But he is going to ask you what you did for the poor. You better have a good answer.’  ”
Those remarks have followed him ever since. He was challenged on them earlier this year at a panel discussion by conservative health-care wonk Avik Roy and seemed to finally inch away from them, which made sense given his looming presidential candidacy:

Sparks flew when Kudlow gave the floor to Manhattan Institute scholar and Forbes healthcare blogger Avik Roy, who asked: “Is it fair to say you support repealing Obamacare except for the Medicaid expansion?” Roy added that Kasich has been asserting that Medicaid critics on the right “are going to hell.”…

He conceded that Roy had described his position on Obamacare and Medicaid correctly, but also told Roy, “I’m gonna send you the transcript so you can get it right,” saying of an event at which he was quoted, “I was out at a Koch brothers’ conference. A lady was yelling at me saying, ‘you’re using God against your people.’ “
Ah, so he was only answering a question in the same dismissive religious terms in which it was posed to him. Except, obviously, he wasn’t: He’s back to trotting out Biblical defenses of the welfare state in today’s Q&A with the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. Why? I realize he’s got John Weaver whispering in his ear and I realize he’s running a Huntsman-esque centrist campaign aimed at showing he’s more evolved than those darned wingnuts in his party’s base, but he’s still going to need those voters in a general election if he’s the nominee. Jeb Bush at least has the good sense not to antagonize conservatives who already dislike him. As it is, this is like Rick Perry telling righties in 2012 that if they “don’t have a heart” if they don’t support in-state tuition for illegals — times a hundred. I don’t get it. And the worst part is, if you’re all about helping the poor, Medicaid is one of the worst ways to go about doing so.

Exit question: And then he immediately segues into … fighting ISIS? Huh?

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/10/06/john-kasich-to-obamacare-critics-do-i-need-to-buy-bibles-for-you-people-to-remind-you-to-care-about-the-poor/

Video at link.

This is where he always shoots himself in the foot not that he had much chance anyway.  I kind of like the guy but he can be incredibly sanctimonious.

Offline PzLdr

Care about the poor with YOUR money, John. Not mine.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The graphic Dan posted above says it all and is absolutely correct in what it says!

I have searched diligently but cannot find the occasion when Jesus said give your money to Cesar so he can take care of the poor!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
This is the death rattle coming from Kasich's campaign.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Yep. It's supposed to be a personal duty - NOT something you contract out.

Though, given the general way society is nowdays, relying on private charity is going to leave a lot of people hungry ....
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Separation of Church and State John?
The Republic is lost.

Offline raml

If there is less personal charity, which I doubt the united states conservative citizens are known for their charity, then it is because the government has stopped a lot of churches from helping. We are required to help the poor and disabled individually if we want to do as our Lord commanded no way did he ever require a government to be charitable.

Offline musiclady

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

If there is less personal charity, which I doubt the united states conservative citizens are known for their charity, then it is because the government has stopped a lot of churches from helping. We are required to help the poor and disabled individually if we want to do as our Lord commanded no way did he ever require a government to be charitable.
I agree and have to admit there are times I'm asked to help someone in need and my first thought is, "Why? They're already getting food stamps and other types of welfare - that I'm already paying for!"
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Going to quibble with the bit I bolded. You guys are known for your generosity. Seen it a billion times over the years (and that's not much of an exaggeration!).

I like it.  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

Statistics indicate U.S. Republicans/conservatives are much more generous than those who identify as liberals/Democrats. Having said that, I think some of us may have reached our limit, sadly.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Yep. It's supposed to be a personal duty - NOT something you contract out.

Though, given the general way society is nowdays, relying on private charity is going to leave a lot of people hungry ....

It's also going to cause a lot of heretofore lethargic people to become resourceful, figure out how to eke out a living, then become upwardly mobile.

Having a certain amount of people in poverty is not too much of a problem if they are there temporarily.  When the government puts in place programs that reward nonproductivity it also puts the brakes on upward mobility.  The USA used to be the most upwardly mobile society in the world.  Today we rank well below a lot of other countries.

On the link below take a look at the bottom chart.  A full 42 percent of the sons of fathers in the lowest 20 percent remain there themselves.  That is just awful, and the direct result of the welfare state. 

http://www.verisi.com/resources/prosperity-upward-mobility.htm

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
It's also going to cause a lot of heretofore lethargic people to become resourceful, figure out how to eke out a living, then become upwardly mobile.

Having a certain amount of people in poverty is not too much of a problem if they are there temporarily.  When the government puts in place programs that reward nonproductivity it also puts the brakes on upward mobility.  The USA used to be the most upwardly mobile society in the world.  Today we rank well below a lot of other countries.

On the link below take a look at the bottom chart.  A full 42 percent of the sons of fathers in the lowest 20 percent remain there themselves.  That is just awful, and the direct result of the welfare state. 

http://www.verisi.com/resources/prosperity-upward-mobility.htm

Spot on Victor!  Excellently stated!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline kevindavis007

He is done and I know longer support him.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Mr. Kasich, many of us ARE the poor.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024